Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic US GoUpgrades and other upgrades [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
The GoFirst prices are no longer just $50 for 500 miles. They are computed differently for each leg. Some flights more people are willing to GoFirst so they have set up the system to adjust the rate accordingly. For example I've worked PHXONT where the prices have been $50 on one flight and then the next one it's $75. PHXGDL used to be $100 but since it wasn't selling it's now $75. Some PHXSEA price at $100 and some at $125.
Now before I make my announcements about GoFirst being available I have to run a dummy upgrade to check what the price is for that particular flight.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:09 am
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
The GoFirst prices are no longer just $50 for 500 miles. They are computed differently for each leg. Some flights more people are willing to GoFirst so they have set up the system to adjust the rate accordingly. For example I've worked PHXONT where the prices have been $50 on one flight and then the next one it's $75. PHXGDL used to be $100 but since it wasn't selling it's now $75. Some PHXSEA price at $100 and some at $125.
Now before I make my announcements about GoFirst being available I have to run a dummy upgrade to check what the price is for that particular flight.
I don't suppose there's any chance you've come across the cost for upgrade from PHL to FLL, or know offhand how likely it would be to even be offered the upgrade chance?

(I'm waffling on my intent to upgrade, depending on price of course. On the one hand, I understand the seats and services aren't so very different from coach.

On the other hand, my husband is a big man and I have never had the pleasure of sharing an armrest on a flight because he spills over onto it (bodybuilder). Perhaps this would allow me to not sit like a chicken with pinned wings the entire flight...

and if it cuts back on the crowd noise and child insanity of coach that is a plus...

and if it lets us avoid the 30+ minute wait for our rental car pickup at midnight when we finally land, it might just be worth it!)
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I flew PHL to MCO less than. a week ago and they offered the GoUpgrade for $100. I'd assume that PHL to FLL would be similar.

As for JFK to CLT that I had asked about, the upgrade cost $75 and not $100 (the flight is a tiny bit over 500 miles.)

Booked it seeing that I have no status and would have to pay $25 for checking a bag anyway, and even more terrible: this is probably my last flight for at least 6 months so why not go out in style?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:35 pm
GGE

If I go ahead and buy these upgrades I'm being prompted to buy right now (I'm working on checking in for tomorrow's flight), then it will only be for one leg (the second, to be specific) of a two leg trip.

Will we be able to check our bags for free before the first leg even though we won't be buying upgrades for that particular flight as well?

If we can just check all five carryons for free and not have the hassle of dragging them behind us all thru PHL. then that would also make the $500 more worthwhile.

Thanks!

(edit - re-read the first page of this thread and found that the fee should be waived altogether for both legs if I upgrade. Hmmmmm)

(edit 2 - fine, decided to go with it. We couldn't sit in exit rows anyhow because some of us are under 18, plus those seats were already going to be $55 each to switch to them and they didn't come with first AND second checked bags free, like this does.

Dragging bags with us all is a pain, and that will be eliminated.

Sitting in row 19 and dealing with the uncertainty of carryon baggage room, the timeconsuming deplaning procedure, etc pretty much sucks.

And.. well, my HHonors card still needs about $500 spend to meet my requirement to get my bonus points anyway, so this way that will be out of the way.

PLUS when I was booking these seats originally I had a choice of paying around $230 per ticket in coach or like $850 in FC. Now we're all sitting in FC for less than the price difference of ONE TICKET between the two options I originally had.

And my oldest is 18, so who knows how many more times the WHOLE family can go on vacation together. May as well live it up a bit (heh, as it were).

Just thought I'd share my rationalization - perhaps someone else will save some time deciding for themselves what to do after reading this some day, who knows!)

Last edited by GGE; Apr 12, 2012 at 6:57 pm
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: US Silver
My gold status expired in Feb (just not flying for work as much). I just got an e-mail about buying-up to FC, at a week away from the flight PHX-MCO. The price isn't worth it to me, but I'm surprised at being offered this so far in advance -- especially considering that elites should be getting upgraded. Kinda pisses me off at upgrades that I missed last year, if they didn't go to elites and were being sold this way instead. Does anyone know when this policy started?

"Would you rather sit in First Class? You’ll enjoy more legroom, priority check-in, early boarding and you'll save on bag fees! There’s no charge for your 1st and 2nd checked bags – a $60 value if you’re checking bags!*

We’re offering you the option to upgrade to First Class for $249. Add yourself to the upgrade list by midnight PT on April 17, 2012!

Here's how it works:
Upgrades are first-come, first-served.
If we have a seat available 2 days before your flight, we'll upgrade you to First Class.
We'll charge the credit card you used to book your ticket after you're upgraded.
You'll get an email about your upgrade 2 days before your flight."
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by rktgrl
Here's how it works:
If we have a seat available 2 days before your flight, we'll upgrade you to First Class.
We'll charge the credit card you used to book your ticket after you're upgraded.
From this it doesn't sound like they'd be taking away any inventory from preferred members. Maybe silvers, but that depends on how they process upgrades 48 hours out.

You can sign up to pay now, but they don't charge you and give you the seat until 48 hours out. All elites minus silvers have had a fair shot at the upgrades by then.

And $250 each leg to Orlando sounds expensive to me. Heck for $500 RT over coach you could have just bought an A ticket.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rktgrl
Here's how it works:
At 48 hours, they upgrade all Preferred members (Silvers too) and then, if there are still upgradable seats available, they will process your upgrade.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:21 pm
GGE

Trip report - my first time in first class. Am on an A321. We are enjoying very fine raspberry fig bars, the ever-famous biscoff cookies, and some intriguing cracked pepper and sea salt chips. The legroom is delightful, the seat width is stellar, the waiting pillows and blankets were utilized immediately. I love the immovable arm rest and side tray tables that come out of the armrests by the windows. And it smells of fresh coffee in here.

This rules. Sorry, but I"m not spoiled or picky (yet or yet, LOL) when it comes to first class flights, so I'm perfectly happy with this.

We're non drinkers, too.. so there goes that perk! Still totally worth the upgrade, IMHO.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by geo1005
At 48 hours, they upgrade all Preferred members (Silvers too) and then, if there are still upgradable seats available, they will process your upgrade.
I just got an email about a GoUpgrade on a shuttle flight DCA-BOS next week and was told it would be $100. I remember when it used to be $50. I'm going to wait and see if the figure comes down.

I appreciate geo1005's comments because the email got me wondering if US was doing what UA does which is sell upgrades before upgrading elites.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
$50 upgrade offer

I was offered an upgrade to First today for $50 today on PHX-SAN, is this common for this route? Plane was packed.

Last edited by krpjr; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:12 pm
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by krpjr
I was offered to upgrade to First today for $50 today on PHX-SAN, is this common for this route. Plane was packed.
$50 is a no-brainer to avoid having people spill over the armrests. Plus if you're checking 2 bags the fee pays for itself. $50 is low in my experience for a F buy-up, but then again the lowest i've seen is $100 for FLL-PHL. It might be normal for that route.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Air time is about 45-50 minutes, so it's a short route, and the price seems right for it.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
It's what US calls a GoUpgrade. I find it to be worth it.

A GoUpgrade entitles you to all the perks of First Class including two free checked bags, but you do not earn bonus PQMs or RDMs on any FF program, even US's own.

Last edited by diburning; Sep 30, 2012 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
Originally Posted by krpjr
I was offered to upgrade to First today for $50 today on PHX-SAN, is this common for this route. Plane was packed.
$50 is a no-brainer to avoid having people spill over the armrests. Plus if you're checking 2 bags the fee pays for itself. $50 is low in my experience for a F buy-up, but then again the lowest i've seen is $100 for FLL-PHL. It might be normal for that route.
Definitely a no brainer, although I'm *G and have DM MasterCard!, plus it was on a A321, so spacious!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

If you are checking any bags, def worth it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.