Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does US have a 24 Hour Penalty Free Cancellation/Refund Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by indo79
I am guessing you got in on that deal

I searched this forum last night and they do not have a 24 hour policy like UA. You can call and hold but that would give some things away
Yes I did get in on that deal Well since the deal is now dead, I called US and they said that "as a 1-time courtesy" they would cx the ticket and give me travel credits which I could use in the next year.

Awfully decent of them, if you ask me. What nice people. And I got to talk to a very knowledgable and polite agent even though I have no US status (didn't even have to mention my UA/*A status).

Last edited by nigelloring; Aug 27, 2009 at 6:33 pm
Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: American, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Some corporate travel agents have negotiated a 24 hr cancellation period on purchased tickets. My last company did.
Our corporate travel agent has as well.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:43 am

Does US have a 24 Hour Penalty Free Cancellation Policy?

Does US Airways have a 24 Hr cancellation policy like United and Continental whereby you can buy a ticket through them but cancel penalty free within 24 hours after purchase?

Thank you,
T
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Not that I have seen....
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: US-Gold, HH-Gold, Marriott-Gold, and a bunch of random others
I have never seen/heard of it, but I have called back shortly after booking (usually within 3-4 hrs) and told them that I had a typo. I usually blame it on the internet or something similar, and they have always accommodated the change without a penalty fee. I think it is like most things in life, if you are nice and courteous to them, they will work with you.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
I have had luck with the CP line canceling tix or changing them within 24 hours, but if you have no status, don't hold your breath...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
The answer is no. Obviously based on above posts YMMV but officially there is no 24 hour grace period with US ticket purchases.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:13 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
All the major airlines seemed to offer this in the early part of the 2000's after Congress leaned on them with the threat of a formal passenger bill of rights following a very rough Summer of horrendous delays nationwide. But then they voluntarily enacted their own customer policies that included the 24 hour cancelation policy, so of course Congress backed off and didn't enforce anything. US does not formally allow this by policy anymore. I think it was dropped after the merger.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:17 am

They do not have a 24-hour fee-free cancellation policy. I bought a ticket in November and for some reason need to cancel it. Thinking that they have the fee-free cancellation policy, I called them (within an hour) and asked for a full refund/credit to my credit card. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with them, talked to the reps as well as the supervisor. It cannot be done. I settled for future credits with no change fee and/or penalty. It turned out that I need to fly US in the near future. Hey, it worked out just fine for me.

alextktan
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
One can still hold a reservation without payment for 24 hours but it cannot be done online. It's only available by calling and, of course, the call center booking fee would apply when you purchase it.

4.4 24 HOUR HOLD POLICY
US Airways will hold a customer’s telephone reservation without payment or penalty, upon request, for a maximum period of 24 hours. This policy applies to domestic refundable as well as non−refundable fares.

A telephone reservation is defined as an itinerary or trip for which payment has not been received. Once a domestic ticket is purchased using a nonrefundable fare, the applicable fees will be collected for any itinerary change and refunds will not be issued.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:23 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
One can still hold a reservation without payment for 24 hours but it cannot be done online. It's only available by calling and, of course, the call center booking fee would apply when you purchase it.
Does this also mean the fare is locked in? That's not really made clear in that policy.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
Does this also mean the fare is locked in? That's not really made clear in that policy.
Most airlines who still offer holds do guarantee the fare so I would think US would do the same. At the very least the same fare classes would be held so as long as the fare doesn't expire sometime during the 24 hour hold period you should be okay.

I would, however, recommend anyone doing this to check online before calling to purchase the held reservation. If the fare is still the same as or even lower than what is being held go ahead and purchase it online without the telephone fee. If you had seat assignments on the held reservation you can call to cancel those and pick them up on your internet booking after they're released.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by tornado
Does US Airways have a 24 Hr cancellation policy like United and Continental whereby you can buy a ticket through them but cancel penalty free within 24 hours after purchase?

Thank you,
T
I've never been able to cancel a ticket with USAir within 24-hours. I do not have status with them either. Does status really help cancel within 24-hours? I've wondered why USAir doesn’t have a 24-hour cancellation policy. What is the advantage to them?

Today, in helping another coworker who had surgery work out the details with his need to cancel his flight, in part this was USAir's reply.
"... we can't offer a refund... However, the ticket will remain valid in our system for one year from the original date of issue... The unused non-refundable ticket may be applied to future travel. The new ticket will be subject to a $150.00 change fee ... "

I'd expect that reply on most reasons for a cancellation. However, CO, UA and other major airlines allow cancellation, credit for future flight, and waive the change fee when surgery and/or hospitalization is involved.
USAir concluded the reply by saying, "We know that you have many choices when it comes to traveling and we would like to say thank you for choosing US Airways."

With CO now part of *A, I give USAir flights some consideration when their flights fit the need. However, I still keep these strict USAir policies in mind and usually avoid them when all else is equal.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: US CP, DL nothing
My corporate travel agency can void tickets on US within 24 hours. I think Priceline allows you to do this as well.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG-75K & HYATT Diamond; former DL-DM, AA-PLT, US-PLT
Last fall I cancelled 2 different US tickets purchased thru Orbitz, and receievd the refunds in about 3 weeks to my credit card. That's why I use Orbitz if I think plans will require a cancellation within 24 hrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.