Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do the Bank of America cards still give miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:04 pm

From an inside source, the BofA US Airways accounts will be transferred to Barclays on June 23. Barclays will send out new cards a few weeks prior.

I believe that essentially you'll get a new account with Barclays and your existing BofA balance will be rolled over into it.

I don't know if spending toward the elite mile bonus will carry over; I'm guessing it won't. I'm also guessing it won't be eligible for the "new card" bonuses. This may be why they were blocking new applications if you had the BofA card; they don't want you to preemtively open a new account.

Last edited by alanh; Mar 31, 2009 at 6:29 pm
Old Apr 1, 2009, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by alanh
From an inside source, the BofA US Airways accounts will be transferred to Barclays on June 23. Barclays will send out new cards a few weeks prior.

I believe that essentially you'll get a new account with Barclays and your existing BofA balance will be rolled over into it.

I don't know if spending toward the elite mile bonus will carry over; I'm guessing it won't. I'm also guessing it won't be eligible for the "new card" bonuses. This may be why they were blocking new applications if you had the BofA card; they don't want you to preemtively open a new account.
Is there any way to pose a question to the inside source?

I'm a current BofA USAirways cardholder. I'd like to convert my card to some other type of BofA product since I don't fly USAir any more. If these accounts are truly going to be transferred to Barclays, I'd like to know if current BofA cardholders would be offered the option to stay with BofA by transitioning to a non-USAirways affiliated card.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by RoundtripWHW
Is there any way to pose a question to the inside source?

I'm a current BofA USAirways cardholder. I'd like to convert my card to some other type of BofA product since I don't fly USAir any more. If these accounts are truly going to be transferred to Barclays, I'd like to know if current BofA cardholders would be offered the option to stay with BofA by transitioning to a non-USAirways affiliated card.
I tried to convert my card a couple of days ago but had no luck. The tone of the CSR suggested that the transfer of the accounts to Barclays was already a done deal and out of BofA control. If anyone finds out different, I would like to know.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:10 pm

Nope, no poaching by BofA allowed -- they're supposed to turn over the whole portfolio to Barclays. Your only other option is to apply for a different card.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Wonder what they will do if you already have a Barclay's USAir card? I've got two BoA cards and two Barclay cards. I'm not a big fan of Barclays. I wonder if you open a different BoA card if they will let you reallocate your credit limit to the new card like they usually do? I'd just move my limit over to the new card, I think. It will be unfortunate if they open a new card and close the old one, it is a very old line for me.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:11 am

Nope, no poaching by BofA allowed -- they're supposed to turn over the whole portfolio to Barclays. Your only other option is to apply for a different card.
Thanks for the reply alanh! Please post again in this thread if you are given any further updates.

I am mainly interested in keeping my BofA account open for credit scoring purposes (trade line is almost 11 years old). I wonder if the full age/history will transfer over to Barclays? If it's going to be treated like a brand new account opened in 2009, then I might be better off just canceling it now. On the other hand, if Barclays assumes control of my account I might be able to reallocate the credit limit from my USAir card over to my Ameriprise card. At this point, I'm not sure which would be my best course of action.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
Any thoughts on how the $$ spent towards the 25k needed to convert to 10k preferred will be handled when Barclay's takes over? I'd hate to have 20K on the VISA and lose the ability to get the 10K rollover.
Eileen
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
I have both cards. Juniper just cut my spending limit in half whereas BofA treats me like a vip. If both cards combine, Juniper and US will loose a source of revenue if they continue this garbage.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
I have both cards. Juniper just cut my spending limit in half whereas BofA treats me like a vip. If both cards combine, Juniper and US will loose a source of revenue if they continue this garbage.
I have read that Barclays is bad to cut limits. Back when I had their US Air MasterCard they cut me from a 5K limit to $500. I will not be surprised if they cut my 12K BoA US Air card to $500 once they get their hands on the account.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:57 pm

Unfortunately, I don't know on the account age, bonus for spending, combining accounts, etc. -- apparently this is up to Barclays, not BofA.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:45 pm

Unfortunately, I don't know on the account age, bonus for spending, combining accounts, etc. -- apparently this is up to Barclays, not BofA.
Thanks again for the reply. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see, unless someone here has an inside source at Barclays.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
I am not sure if this is true of not, but I was told that Barclay's top credit line is 25k and after the conversion, they will allow someone to have just 1 personal and 1 business account with no more than 25k limit for each.

BofA told me yesterday when I asked them why they kept dropping my line, I was advised it was pursuant to the agreement they had with Barclays for transfer of accounts. Over the last 3 months my limit at BofA has gone from 80k to 60k to 40k to 25k. I never really use the card, and the line does not appear in the credit file, so no harm no file, but I am amazed at what banks are doing now with no regard for the customer.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
FWIW, I was speaking with a few BofA teller friends of mine. Nothing yet has been communicated to the field regarding the switch.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Interesting about Barclays. I've had both cards over the years and I never had trouble with either. I did close my BofA account a while back. Tonight I called to "downgrade" my US MasterCard to the no annual fee version, since I don't fly US much anymore. I get to keep my World card status and the same credit line. The only thing that will change is I lose the perks (companion ticket, club pass, PQM earnings) and earn fewer miles per dollar. So I was pleased with that. I will only use the card to keep any miles I have or may earn active.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by EileenSRN
Any thoughts on how the $$ spent towards the 25k needed to convert to 10k preferred will be handled when Barclay's takes over? I'd hate to have 20K on the VISA and lose the ability to get the 10K rollover.
Eileen
I'm wondering the same thing. Logic would suggest that the spending toward 10k preferred will carryover, but logic does not always prevail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.