Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Consolidated) > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Merger)
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 14, 08, 4:52 pm   #1

Angry Change Return Flight US Airways or Buy New One-Way Fare

I've never dealt with US Airways before, and I never will again. I had booked a RT SNA-TUS. I need to change the return to one week later, same flight numbers. I know it's a non-refundable ticket and was expecting a change fee. When I called, they told me it would be an additional $441, bringing my total coach fare to $693 for a trip shorter than 500 miles! If I buy a one way return ticket instead, it's an additional $145, bringing my total to $397.

I called two days in a row because I couldn't believe the attitude of the agent and thought I might get someone more helpful the second try. Equally unhelpful. Just said the choice was up to me. My choice on the ticket is obvious.

I told her that everything I've read on the internet about US Airways public relations is true and I would never be using them again. I just hope the pilot is trained better than the people they have dealing with customers.
bkarvelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 08, 5:07 pm   #2
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels and TravelBuzz!

Programs: DL
Welcome to Flyertalk bkarvelas I am moving this over to the US Airways Forum for discussion.
Please follow there (airline programs)
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
obscure2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 08, 5:22 pm   #3

Programs: None
To change a non-refundable ticket, you'll pay the difference if the fare is now higher plus a $100 change fee. The fare difference is apparently $331 of the $441 total. Sounds like it'll be cheaper to just buy the one-way ticket and contribute the cost of the unused portion of the original ticket to the SUSA fund (Save US Airways). Unfortunately, that's not a charitable organization so you'll get no tax deduction....

Jim

Added:

Not knowing when you're traveling, if you have time you may want to just keep checking fares . I see that US has one way fares of $156/$159 for Monday so maybe something cheaper will show up for your travel day.

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Mar 14, 08 at 5:28 pm.
BoeingBoy is offline   Reply With Quote