Thank You to our FF for giving up their FC seat...

Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Thank You to our FF for giving up their FC seat...

I want to say that this random act of kindness towards our uniformed military members is very touching and I hope that it cotinues. I was the only employee to make it on a DCA-CLT the other day and I was towards the front. After boarding there was one empty FC seat. There was a marine traveling in uniform and he was offered the seat. After he got comfortable a woman comes from the back of the plane and starts screaming at him that he was in her seat and that he shouldn't expect to be treated like hes a hero. She said it so that the F/A in the aft came running. The whole plane was in aww that she was yelling. Another FC traveler got out of his seat and offered his to the marine. After the lady and the marine settled the gentleman who gave up his seat said in a high voice " Lady I hope you like being a B%$%h and I hope you go to hell". As he walked into the back into economy every single passenger cheered... I thank all of our FF for this kindness. Also if you plan on being a royal A$$ on a flight make sure its not towards a military member...

On a side note I had just worked a flight into MCI and had several AF fire fighters that had just done four months in Saudi Arabia. Great group of men and women and everyone said their thanks to them. I was told by the gate agent that the welcome wagon in baggage was huge...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by cwe84
On a side note I had just worked a flight into MCI and had several AF fire fighters that had just done four months in Saudi Arabia. Great group of men and women and everyone said their thanks to them. I was told by the gate agent that the welcome wagon in baggage was huge...
It's good to know that there are well-behaved service members. I recently flew PHL-LAX in F and was seated next to guy who just came back from Iraq. He was in 1A and he already smelled of alcohol. He seemed to be quite a bit wound up, but I figured, "who could blame him?". Then he drank enough alcohol to poison most people. Then he almost started a fight with the guy in 2A.

Before we landed, the FA gives him a bag with two bottles of wine as a gift. When we landed, it took a very long time for the plane to get to the gate (as is often the case at LAX). This guy FREAKED OUT over the delay. He was cursing out loud, over and over again. The FA had to come over twice to calm him down.

When we got to the gate, he jumped out of his seat and pushed an older woman, hard, out of the way so that he could get his bag that was above 3C. The FA didn't see that, and he ran out of the plane before anyone could stop him.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:24 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Thank You

I want to say that this random act of kindness towards our uniformed military members is very touching and I hope that it cotinues. I was the only employee to make it on a DCA-CLT the other day and I was towards the front. After boarding there was one empty FC seat. There was a marine traveling in uniform and he was offered the seat. After he got comfortable a woman comes from the back of the plane and starts screaming at him that he was in her seat and that he shouldn't expect to be treated like hes a hero. She said it so that the F/A in the aft came running. The whole plane was in aww that she was yelling. Another FC traveler got out of his seat and offered his to the marine. After the lady and the marine settled the gentleman who gave up his seat said in a high voice " Lady I hope you like being a B%$%h and I hope you go to hell". As he walked into the back into economy every single passenger cheered... I thank all of our FF for this kindness. Also if you plan on being a royal A$$ on a flight make sure its not towards a military member...

Thank you CWE84 for this post.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them

It's really the little things that count for our soldiers. I am glad to hear that one of the passengers up in front gave up his seat for the soldier and put the woman in her place in front of the whole plane.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Back when I was in the Army (1989 to 1993), we were discouraged from traveling in uniform most of the time. The few times I did (when on official orders and it was difficult to change), it was all I could do to avoid getting spit on or have people freak out at me... Of course no one ever gave up an F seat for me, I was in middles quite often, as many times the tickets were purchased day of the flight. But it was a different environment then. I did fly in biz class once while in the military, on my own dime (paid the diff on SEL-DTW), and it was worth every penny -v- being in steerage on that long (14 hr) flight.

I wasn't sure if we were still doing the giving up F seat thing for military now. I noticed this was a fairly short flight (DCA-CLT); I wonder if the guy would have willingly done so for a long haul.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
I think he did it mostly to make a point to that stupid woman. The marine was okay with his seat and he had a descent one. I know alot of agents in CLT that will put them in FC ahead of FF which IMO is the right thing to do. It truley is amazing to see the very different reactions to our men and women in uniform...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
It truley is amazing to see the very different reactions to our men and women in uniform...
Yes. Some people (like the woman on that flight) take out their opposition to the war on the people who actually risk their lives. That woman probably shunned Vietnam vets when they returned, too.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:17 pm
ALW

Her behaviour was obviously out of line, but if that was her assigned seat, the real culprit was the person who put the Marine in it. (Perhaps she was in the back making sure a relative or colleague was seated comfortably).

I'm sure none of us would be as rude as she was, but how many of us would casually give up our front-cabin seat (paid for with points, certs, or cash) because someone else was told they could have it?

=aw
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I know alot of agents in CLT that will put them in FC ahead of FF which IMO is the right thing to do.
Sorry, I disagree completely. Agents should follow published procedures and upgrade FFers in proper order. If the FFers wish to relinquish their seat, that's their perogative, and they should be able to give the seat to whomever they wish be it military, older person, disabled person, etc.

I think it's great that people are giving up their seats to uniformed service members, but I would be mighty upset to know that the agents were doing so at the expense of the FFers who regularly patronize the airline.

Just my opinion...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I know alot of agents in CLT that will put them in FC ahead of FF which IMO is the right thing to do.
I suspect that would be illegal also in that gov. employees (traveling officially) are not to accept the "gift" of a free seat or FC upgrade. Such a practice is ripe for abuse and could lead to problems for any airline despite that fact it is well meaning.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Semper Fi US Airways!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:19 pm

As a Canadian it's always interesting to see Americans and their views toward their military.

Be that as it may, I saw something even better in early January on a US PHX-LAS flight when a connecting pilot seated beside me in First was called up to the front by an FA, came back, gathered his stuff, and went to the back. Shortly thereafter a young marine was brought up by an FA and put next to me where the pilot had been. I asked him if he was on his way home and unfortunately he was not - he was going to Iraq for the first time.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
I think he did it mostly to make a point to that stupid woman. The marine was okay with his seat and he had a descent one. I know alot of agents in CLT that will put them in FC ahead of FF which IMO is the right thing to do. It truley is amazing to see the very different reactions to our men and women in uniform...

Not condoning the behavior of the woman.
Circumventing published upgrade policies is not nice.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
Getting an upgrade like this is considered a gift to the individual. Treated the same way as when I get upgraded b/c of my CP status. As such it is permissible. Personally, I prefer to travel out of uniform. Blend in, more comfortable, and can down an extra drink or 2 .
For me personally I prefer that the airline follow published guidelines. For a soldier coming back from the sandbox I don't mind a bit of rule bending.

Cliff notes info on Govt travel regs:

First Class Travel

-- According to GSA guidance and JER (Joint Ethics Regs) para. 4-202, DoD employees on official travel may accept airline seat upgrades to first class for official use, as long as there is no additional charge to the government and the upgrade is offered to the employee on the same terms as a member of the public

-- This means that while employees must generally perform official travel by using coach class accommodations, employees may upgrade transportation services at their own expense, which includes the use of personal frequent traveler mileage or upgrade benefits

-- The pre-existing restrictions on first class travel at government expense remain unchanged; see FTR 301-10.123 and JFTR U3125 for additional guidance

-- The pre-existing practice that discouraged first class travel while in uniform is still a recommended practice

--- Thus, even when first class travel is absolutely legitimate, military personnel should avoid wearing the uniform, unless appropriate, to avoid the public perception of misuse of government travel resources
Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by WASBLR
Not condoning the behavior of the woman.
Circumventing published upgrade policies is not nice.

Please! Get a grip Someone is sacrificing their life and you want a first class seat for an hour flight? Someone help me here...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.