Minimum connecting time at CLT?

Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Go to the rocking chairs above the food court! You get a great view of the tarmac AND it's a good place from which to people-watch.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver, WN, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Thanks for the suggestions about the food court. I also realized today that I have a friend that to moved to the charlotte area a couple of years ago and haven't seen since then. Maybe she'll be up for meeting me for lunch (obviously this would have to be outside the secure area).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Published Connection times

I'm going to attempt to answer my own question concerning pub. min. connection times.

In digging through the online schedules flt. 79 from ABQ-PHX arrives at 6:19 am in Mar and changes to 6:21 with the apr. 6 schedule change. Before the schedule change flt. 79 can connect to the 6:45 am to DFW but after the schedule change it does not show a valid connection.
Therefore it appears minimum connecting time at PHX is 25 min. now.

AT CLT flight 3116 from DAB arrives at 2:15 in March and allows for valid connections for US Express 3180 at 2:45 to DTW and 2:50 to IND on US mainline.
Combine that with my experience that the DAB flight arrives at 1:52 after Apr. 6 but does not offer a valid connection to flt. 1509 to PHX at 2:25, it appears the pub. min. connecting time at CLT is 30 min. for US express-US express but 35 min. for US Express-US mainline.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:06 am

Programs: Free Agent
I'm going to hi-jack this thread...I transit CLT all the time (40 times last year I think) so I know how long I really need for a connection. However, would you chance a 50 minute domestic (arriving B or C) to international (departing D)? It's the LGW flight so no chance of alternate flights should I misconnect. I'll only have carry-on.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:29 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
I'm going to hi-jack this thread...I transit CLT all the time (40 times last year I think) so I know how long I really need for a connection. However, would you chance a 50 minute domestic (arriving B or C) to international (departing D)? It's the LGW flight so no chance of alternate flights should I misconnect. I'll only have carry-on.
Depends where you're coming from, what the alternatives are, and when your flight is (time of year)...but in general, 50 min to an intl seems a little too close for comfort to me.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Coming from PBI. I went ahead and took the longer layover (3 hours). I figured I could work in the lounge as well as I could work in my office (or better...). Plus this way I can get to the gate a little earlier to sweet-talk my way into a bulkhead/exit row on the TA. I'm only in LGW for 48 hours...so going the next day isn't an option...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
However, would you chance a 50 minute domestic (arriving B or C) to international (departing D)?
I'm quoting the April 2006 timetable (which for some reason I never deleted) but it has the minimum connect times listed - for those who are still interested, and assuming that the times haven't changed:

CLT minimum connection times:

Domestic-to-domestic 30 minutes
Domestic-to-international 50 minutes
International-to-domestic 75 minutes

--- so your connection would be at the absolute minimum. It's up to you to try to play it - either you get lucky, or you don't. Which would you rather have? The chance to miss your flight and overnight, however slim, or to have to kill a few hours at CLT?

edit to add: I just saw your reply. I got excited to help someone with info I actually had for once on the computer. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Originally Posted by ERAU_MBA_Student
Not trying to be rude but you honestly complained to reservations over 1 minute? I know it makes you hustle but PHX isn't the worst place for it with the people movers. And according to this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622150 the minimum US-US connection time in PHX is 20 mins.
Not to sound rude back but you try getting off a fully loaded HP 757 going from the high A gates to the low B's......it's a hustle.....and yes, I will complain about 1 minute because it was the last flight of the night to SLC and if US can't be ontime (which they won't be), then you will see what I mean.....I made it with 10 mins to spare-gate closes with 5 left......and I was 20 mins late to PHX......i wouldn't risk it.....oh yea, my bag did not arrive with me.......
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFreak
Not to sound rude back but you try getting off a fully loaded HP 757 going from the high A gates to the low B's......it's a hustle.....and yes, I will complain about 1 minute because it was the last flight of the night to SLC and if US can't be ontime (which they won't be), then you will see what I mean.....I made it with 10 mins to spare-gate closes with 5 left......and I was 20 mins late to PHX......i wouldn't risk it.....oh yea, my bag did not arrive with me.......
I am sorry that your bags didn't make it with you and if you had not booked the connection and US had changed the schedule on you and it was the last flight of the day I could see how you would be apprehensive about it. I guess I thought your first post implied that 29 minutes was unacceptable but 30 would have been, thats all I was pointing out. If that wasn't the case I apologize.

I understand where you are coming from on US reservations screwing up, they gave my grandma an 18 minute connection in PHX (definitely an illegal connection). She would never have made it if she hadn't told the flight attendant on landing that her connecting flight was in 20 minutes and the FA made sure a wheelchair or cart (can't remember which) were waiting for her.

I am young though and it will wake me up to run through T4 at 6:30 in the morning to make my 29 minute connection. LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.