Ticketing Drama (Insert Benny Hill Theme Here)

Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Ticketing Drama (Insert Benny Hill Theme Here)

I wanted to burn off my $99 Barclay's/Juniper vouchers--- need to close out some credit cards--- and decided to take the plung even with this impending computer systems migration because I'm home about 6 days in the next 6 weeks.

Yesterday I called to reserve the flight and spoke with a lovely CSR in Reno who was amazingly helpful, efficient and dreamy. I gave her lots of kudos. She said that I needed to bring the paper certificate to the airport by close of business (7:30pm here) today which was not a big deal. The airport is 10 minutes away and I was prepared for that anyway after seeing other posts here.

I stopped by the US ticket counter at DCA today with certificate, credit card, reservation number, and everything else in hand. The US agent said she couldn't help me because it was a HP flight and asked me to step to the HP counter. The HP agent found the reservation easily but was looking at the certificate like it was written in Braille maybe; she clearly had never seen one of those before and had no idea what to do with it.

So I explained how it worked-- pay for one full fare, get 2 co-travellers for $99, bring in the cert, give your credit card, blah blah. There is something wrong with the computer terminal she is using and she can't complete the transaction so we move to another terminal where she also can't complete the transaction.

Her supervisor comes over and also can't complete the transaction.

Another ticket agent comes over and asks if there is something wrong with the computer. All three of them begin ignoring me and having a heated discussion of which computer system they like least and who their least favorite helpdesk person is.

A US agent comes over and asks if anyone can help her with a mileage redemption for a PAX because she can't complete the transaction on the US system.

All the agents swap PAX information to see if anyone can complete anyone's transaction on any computer--- the HP computers don't like the HP reservations, the US computers don't like anything, and I'm getting antsy because airport parking is $5 for each 30 minutes.

The supervisor leaves to go check in other PAX. The HP agent calls Customer Service and checks in other PAX while on hold. The US agent is doing something creative with "last bag" stickers. Making a daisy, I think.

The HP agent, who has been on hold for Customer Service for at least 10 minutes by this time, hands the phone to the US agent and walks to the other end of the counter. The US agent starts explaining to another HP agent that "somebody" told her last week that the would not be able to ticket for "a while" but no one knows for sure. Customer Service comes on the phone which everyone finds confusing because they all thought they'd called the Helpdesk. Customer Service asks the agent to read them back my entire itinerary as well as PAX names, email addresses, etc because, well I don't know why, but the PNR I guess was not good enough for them!

And then the ticket agent reads my credit card and billing info to Customer Service over the phone... which I could just as easily have done from my couch when I called to make the reservation in the first pace... especially since the US agent and the HP agent both did not know what to do with the certificate that prompted the trip to the airport, and it ended up in a pile of loose papers. I doubt it will make it all the way to Tempe!

I'm annoyed and a little amused--- I saved a pile of money using the certificates so I'm not too upset but, jeez, the lack of knowledge and communication is amazing! And if this is just the pain of the pre-migration, I do NOT want to even think of the post-migration cleanup!

As much as I hate 'em, I'm actually glad my next 3 trips are on UA!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
This is so funny (and sad, for your consumption of time). Obviously, somebody has told a mass of call center employees that these certificates must be surrendered. But, any time I've heard of someone going to the airport with these, the ticket counter people have no clue what they are. So, in the end, they talk on the phone to their own staff, keep the certificates, and then throw them away.

I have not heard of anyone losing their reservations because of the certs not being received. How would they know?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 5:38 pm

Programs: USAir Preferred, Marriott Platinum
That sounds about right to me...unfortunatley.

I called to use mine from Juniper and had a terrible time getting anyone on the phone who knew what to do.

I called the number on the certificate only to be told that they could not help me and they would transfer me to USAir. Now who I called with that first number I have no idea. The man told me I dialed the wrong number and I said "how is that possible, I'm calling what is on my certificate". Perhaps its printed wrong, but I did not dial it wrong.

He proceeds to tell me that I need to call America West and gives me the number which was the original number I had called off the certificate. I told him I had just talked to those people and been transferred to him, well he of course has no idea what to do. So, I'm going back and forth between USAir and America West people cause neither of them have a clue what to do.

The last lady I am transferred to is with America West and I tell her what I'm attempting to do and she said well I'm not going to transfer you anymore I'll handle it all right here. Great I think, I like the sound of that. So, she gets someone from USAir on the phone and tells them what I'm trying to do and the person she gets is also clueless and at this point I am beyong aggravated to say the least.

They chit chat among themselves as I'm just holding on half listening to their conversation and half wishing I was on a ledge somewhere. Finally they come to a conclusion, and the woman starts going thru where I'm going to and from. I give her my name Tammy Lynn Highlyperturbed and my hubbys name Alan Jackson. (names are changed to protect the innocent...lol)

She does the seat assignments, gets it all worked out, I'm satisifed and then she says "well Tammy, are you not traveling with us?" Huh? We just went thru all that, I gave you our names/info/etc, you've chosen 2 seats for us, who do you think is flying? Her response...Well I have this name down here "Highly Perturbed". Are you kidding me? She had taken my last name and cut it in half and made a first and last name out of it and thought it was another person....For cryin' out loud!!!!!

Needless to say, I said never mind, canceled everything and went online and got the tix for cheaper than the companion tix to begin with....LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.