Parker to Become a One-Day "Prison Preferred" Member

Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:23 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by KevAZ
Still would prefer to have him on the road with me than a Scottsdale blond Barbie yakking on a cell phone in her Surburban.
Was she on the way to her Barbie Jet?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Was she on the way to her Barbie Jet?
Sure, it sits out at the Scottsdale Airport where Ken keeps it polished for her, Paris and Britney.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Originally Posted by iahphx
It's actually a misdemeanor, which I don't think has any legal ramifications for running a major US corporation.

Look, many people get joy in seeing "the mighty" take a tumble, but it's hard for me to see how any US Airways customers would benefit from Parker's departure. The guy is one of the few "geniuses" in the business -- which should be obvious to anyone who has seen the walking-dead US Airways reborn as the nation's most profitable legacy airline.

Let me summarize (AGAIN)

HE DROVE DRUNK.. not once.. but multiple times. This shows poor character, a lack of judgment, and a "I'm above the law" attitude.

Dougie is not a 'genius' as you try to tell people over and over, he's a DRUNK DRIVER. Geniuses do not drive drunk.

Don't apologize or make excuses for this (or any other) DRUNK DRIVER. I hope he learns something from the one day in Tent City, hopefully it will keep him from getting behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking and killing someone (or himself).
Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:59 pm
GAC
Suspended

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Of course he pled it out--he refused to blow and presumably had blood drawn that registered over the legal limit. I don't know about AZ, but most cops I know who run DUI/DWI patrols have the thing down to a science--if you are drunk, they are going to follow a process that's virtually lawyer-proof.

With that said, I think the real reason he pled it out is this: by doing so, he knows what the sentence will be. If he runs it to/thru trial and loses, it's up to the judge. That could be bad for Doogie, especially given his apparent penchant for being caught driving after imbibing......
There you go again

He did the crime, stepped up to the plate and admitted it and is now doing the time. Seems to me the right thing to do instead of doing as most do and hire a team of lawyers and then claim childhood abuse as they check into a two week rehab vacation.

By the way, I think his name is Doug. I'm sure you would not like to be called Clueless or other cute disrespecting names. Lets try to lift the level of debate, shall we?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Let me summarize
(S)HE DROVE WHILE YAKKING ON A CELL PHONE.. not once.. but multiple times. This shows poor character, a lack of judgment, and a "I'm above the law" attitude.

Any Holier Than Thou FF'r is not a 'genius' as you try to tell people over and over, (s)he's a STUPID INCONSIDERATE DANGEROUS DRIVER. Geniuses do not drive while talking on a cell phone!.

Don't apologize or make excuses for this (or any other) STUPID INCONSIDERATE DANGEROUS DRIVER. I hope (s)he learns something from the one day in Tent City, hopefully it will keep him from getting behind the wheel of a vehicle after telling the world to kiss their arse while they yak on a cell phone and killing someone (or himself).
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:23 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
How many of you think they'll be another "bait and switch" scenario with the date in Tent City? He's supposed to be there on March 15th (I think it is). I bet he does it ahead of time to avoid the media just like he did with his hearing date.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:56 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by GAC
There you go again
When your level of time and/or discourse here rises to that of Reagan, you can give me that. Until then, you are simply going to have to do better.

Deal?

He did the crime, stepped up to the plate and admitted it and is now doing the time. Seems to me the right thing to do instead of doing as most do and hire a team of lawyers and then claim childhood abuse as they check into a two week rehab vacation.
This must be outcome based education: the right thing to do was not drive drunk in the first place. I'd think a guy entrusted with running an airline and enough money to buy his own car service would know how to put two and two together.

Or, we can come up with more metaphors about how he "stepped up to the plate. Garbage. Stepping up to the plate would have been getting a ride home in the first place--this is a man interested in damage control

I did like the part where you attempt to deflect attention from our seriously-lacking-judgment executive by mentioning the part about childhood abuse tho.

As an aside, he's probably going to have to see a doctor every few weeks for a few years and submit regular urine samples. That's what the "evaluation" stuff is. Ssssh--must deflect the attention. Channel Reagan--that will help.

By the way, I think his name is Doug. I'm sure you would not like to be called Clueless or other cute disrespecting names. Lets try to lift the level of debate, shall we?
I really, really like it when facts are employed, so I'm somewhat dismayed to have to bring you the following tidbits:

Parker, 45 and boyish — pilots and others call him Doogie, after a U.S. television series, "Doogie Howser, M.D.," about a teenage doctor... -- is the International Herald Tribune reporting the facts, or merely disrespecting a drunk?

Some of the airline's pilots refer to their boyish-looking CEO as Doogie, a reference to TV teen prodigy Doogie Howser, M.D. -- Is USA Today incorrect in their little box which says "Some not-so-obvious facts about Doug Parker?"

America West Airlines boss Doug Parker may be 43, but he looks so much younger that some employees call him "Doogie," a nickname inspired by TV's precocious teenage doctor Doogie Howser, M.D. -- Is it your contention that the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette made this line up? Or, the following line which says, and I quote "The light-haired, boyish Parker doesn't seem to mind." But the priceless part is he then goes on to say ""Age is only one factor" in establishing credibility,".

So, before you try to channel Reagan again or get a dig in based on my username, I'd suggest you actually come prepared with some factual backup. If I really wanted to be cruel about his nickname, I'd have said DoUgIe.

And, just so we are clear: it's roughly the 4th time he's been busted for something involving alcohol and a car. At what point do we stop claiming to be firm believers in coincidence or bad luck?

I'm amazed that people are lining up to give this guy a pass that none of his employees would ever get in that same situation.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm amazed that people are lining up to give this guy a pass that none of his employees would ever get in that same situation.
I know of no airline that would take disciplinary action against employees for DUI convictions occuring more than a decade ago, and I also know of no airline that would fire an employee for an off-duty DUI conviction. Obviously, the current conviction would be relevant to one's employment -- especially if the employee held a safety-sensitive position such as a pilot. Reasonable steps would certainly be warranted to make sure the individual did not have an ongoing problem with alcohol.

As I've noted before, many of our nations top leaders have DUI arrests in their past -- including both the President and Vice President. While many seem to question the political judgment of these men these days, I know of no serious critics who suggest they lack the sobriety necessary to lead the country.

In Parker's case, the evidence is overwhelming that alcohol abuse has not impeded his ability to lead US Airways. The track record of leadership that he has compiled since becoming CEO of America West in 2001 is astonishing. He has repeatedly made business judgments that have been both innovative and wildly successful. Certainly no airline in America -- or the world, for that matter -- has advanced as far as near-bankrupt America West in that time period. His shareholders, including me, have made mind-boggling returns in that period by betting on Parker's leadership (my initial investment is up 1500 percent!).

None of this excuses his improper behavior by driving drunk, and he is certainly paying a heavy price for this mistake. But those "calling for his head" have motivations far different from the folks who have a real stake in the future success and prosperity of the airline.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:01 pm

Programs: US CP, *A Gold, Intercontinental Plat. Elite, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
In Parker's case, the evidence is overwhelming that alcohol abuse has not impeded his ability to lead US Airways. The track record of leadership that he has compiled since becoming CEO of America West in 2001 is astonishing. He has repeatedly made business judgments that have been both innovative and wildly successful. Certainly no airline in America -- or the world, for that matter -- has advanced as far as near-bankrupt America West in that time period. His shareholders, including me, have made mind-boggling returns in that period by betting on Parker's leadership (my initial investment is up 1500 percent!).
Leaving 10-K's and 10-Q's out of this, have you flown Doogie's product lately?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:21 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
From the news stories I've seen, he'll do his day in the Scottsdale City Jail rather than Sheriff Joe's Camparee.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:24 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by GoinSki
Leaving 10-K's and 10-Q's out of this, have you flown Doogie's product lately?
Yeah, his product sucks, but I guess if you're a shareholder you're happy. In the short-term.

Because, you know, American corporations aren't interested in service and long-term thinking anymore. All that matters is their stock price at any given moment.

It's an absurdly short-sighted way to run a business, much less an economy.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:14 am
GAC
Suspended

When your level of time and/or discourse here rises to that of Reagan, you can give me that. Until then, you are simply going to have to do better.

Deal?

This must be outcome based education: the right thing to do was not drive drunk in the first place. I'd think a guy entrusted with running an airline and enough money to buy his own car service would know how to put two and two together.

Or, we can come up with more metaphors about how he "stepped up to the plate. Garbage. Stepping up to the plate would have been getting a ride home in the first place--this is a man interested in damage control

I did like the part where you attempt to deflect attention from our seriously-lacking-judgment executive by mentioning the part about childhood abuse tho.

As an aside, he's probably going to have to see a doctor every few weeks for a few years and submit regular urine samples. That's what the "evaluation" stuff is. Ssssh--must deflect the attention. Channel Reagan--that will help.

I really, really like it when facts are employed, so I'm somewhat dismayed to have to bring you the following tidbits:

Parker, 45 and boyish pilots and others call him Doogie, after a U.S. television series, "Doogie Howser, M.D.," about a teenage doctor... -- is the International Herald Tribune reporting the facts, or merely disrespecting a drunk?

Some of the airline's pilots refer to their boyish-looking CEO as Doogie, a reference to TV teen prodigy Doogie Howser, M.D. -- Is USA Today incorrect in their little box which says "Some not-so-obvious facts about Doug Parker?"

America West Airlines boss Doug Parker may be 43, but he looks so much younger that some employees call him "Doogie," a nickname inspired by TV's precocious teenage doctor Doogie Howser, M.D. -- Is it your contention that the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette made this line up? Or, the following line which says, and I quote "The light-haired, boyish Parker doesn't seem to mind." But the priceless part is he then goes on to say ""Age is only one factor" in establishing credibility,".

So, before you try to channel Reagan again or get a dig in based on my username, I'd suggest you actually come prepared with some factual backup. If I really wanted to be cruel about his nickname, I'd have said DoUgIe.

And, just so we are clear: it's roughly the 4th time he's been busted for something involving alcohol and a car. At what point do we stop claiming to be firm believers in coincidence or bad luck?

No Deal. Not even by a long shot.

You may insult me all day long, that's your privilege I guess. Of course he should never have drove drunk - quite insightful of you to point out the obvious. Are you also in favor of puppies?

I guess we can be grateful that this is the only place that allows you to be judge, jury and executioner. In regards in insulting me with your "outcome based education" slap I would humbly suggest that just because others do wrong does not make it right. In other words, using pass misuses are his name as license to do so yourself would be the same as Doug claiming that others drove drunker so what's the big deal. Sorry, just the hold water.

Amazingly, I see nobody giving this guy a pass (maybe others are using secret words to do so). All I see is some like me saying that he did wrong, got caught and is doing his time like a man while others are taking great glee at the misfortune of others. Forget Clueless, that's just Classless. I shudder to think of the happiness some would have experienced if he God forbid got into a accident.

Let go of the hate and anger. Life is too short for such petty meanness.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:05 am
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
From the news stories I've seen, he'll do his day in the Scottsdale City Jail rather than Sheriff Joe's Camparee.

Lucky him. Smart enough to get arrested in one of the few cities that has their own jail.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Yeah, his product sucks, but I guess if you're a shareholder you're happy. In the short-term.

Because, you know, American corporations aren't interested in service and long-term thinking anymore. All that matters is their stock price at any given moment.

It's an absurdly short-sighted way to run a business, much less an economy.
Well, his product doesn't "suck" -- in fact, it's a little better than the "old" USAirways. Of course, it's not great: the fare levels Americans are accustomed to paying will not buy great airline service. But it's certainly improving, and if they can get a couple of years of profitability under their belts, I suspect the product will be quite decent.

Parker is definitely interested in "the long term." He's trying to build a sustainable enterprise that will be a long term success. That's always been his plan, ever since he stabilized America West in early 2002. He's only once ever sold any of his stock options, a portion he sold last summer (he would have been an idiot not to have taken some profits off the table: just about every other long term shareholder, including me, had done so before). His net worth is materially tied to the future long term health of the airline -- more so than any other airline CEO I am aware of.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:29 am
GAC
Suspended

Well, his product doesn't "suck" -- in fact, it's a little better than the "old" USAirways. Of course, it's not great: the fare levels Americans are accustomed to paying will not buy great airline service. But it's certainly improving, and if they can get a couple of years of profitability under their belts, I suspect the product will be quite decent.

Parker is definitely interested in "the long term." He's trying to build a sustainable enterprise that will be a long term success. That's always been his plan, ever since he stabilized America West in early 2002. He's only once ever sold any of his stock options, a portion he sold last summer (he would have been an idiot not to have taken some profits off the table: just about every other long term shareholder, including me, had done so before). His net worth is materially tied to the future long term health of the airline -- more so than any other airline CEO I am aware of.
well, I fear that your common sense post for not find a happy home here. In any event, I agree with you 100%. Well said ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.