Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is CLT the best hub for any domestic airline?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by KevAZ
Too far east, too far south, too far from anything other than BofA or Wachovia .

Charlotte is a nice little town, but not worthy of a national hub,
Too far out of the way?

FT'ers are in it for the extra miles!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
Why do most airlines charge out the bum for flights out of and to there Hub cities?
Legacy pricing at it "finest".....

The hub carrier normally offers non-stops while the others only offer connections (with the exception being flights between different carrier's hubs like CLT-ATL or CLT-ORD). The conventional wisdom in airline pricing is that people will pay more for non-stop service.

That's also why the fare from A-HUB-B is often cheaper than the fare from HUB-B. Several carriers might offer connecting service between A & B thru their respective hubs, while none offer non-stop A-B. That makes for price competition.

Jim
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Legacy pricing at it "finest".....

The hub carrier normally offers non-stops while the others only offer connections (with the exception being flights between different carrier's hubs like CLT-ATL or CLT-ORD). The conventional wisdom in airline pricing is that people will pay more for non-stop service.

That's also why the fare from A-HUB-B is often cheaper than the fare from HUB-B. Several carriers might offer connecting service between A & B thru their respective hubs, while none offer non-stop A-B. That makes for price competition.

Jim
Morons, all of them.

Hey all legacy carriers...Professor Plum called...he said get a clue!
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
I think the best "hub" airport I've transited through has to be DTW with NW. They've got a huge terminal, but have quick tram service from end to end and who doesn't love the trippy "mood tunnel" between mainline and express? The terminal may get too big at times, but the non-stop service is amazing. You get multiple option to Asia and Europe from the same airport, very few North American airports give you that flexibility.

Out of US's hub airports I'd say PIT is my favorite to connect through. Though flight options through it are diminishing, I always run into considerate employees and the low traffic combined with huge capacity makes landing-to-gate and gate-to-takeoff times minuscule. I once had a five minute connection to the last flight out (late departure) and they held the plane for me and for my bags.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Quip
I think the best "hub" airport I've transited through has to be DTW with NW. They've got a huge terminal, but have quick tram service from end to end and who doesn't love the trippy "mood tunnel" between mainline and express? The terminal may get too big at times, but the non-stop service is amazing. You get multiple option to Asia and Europe from the same airport, very few North American airports give you that flexibility.

Out of US's hub airports I'd say PIT is my favorite to connect through. Though flight options through it are diminishing, I always run into considerate employees and the low traffic combined with huge capacity makes landing-to-gate and gate-to-takeoff times minuscule. I once had a five minute connection to the last flight out (late departure) and they held the plane for me and for my bags.
God bless these Pittsburgh folks despite getting screwed over by US at ORD lol
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:45 am

Programs: USAir Preferred, Marriott Platinum
I agree with the OP. CLT was my home airport for many years and I still cannot find anything that beats it. I've flown thru many places and I almost always end up saying something to the effect of "how they do things at CLT". I know it drives people traveling with me insane, but I have to call them as I see them...LOL

I absolutely hate to fly out of SFO on USAir, thats the worst terminal ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really dont understand the whole concept of come this way and only stay in your terminal where at CLT you can go thru any security line and then wander thru the whole airport before heading to your gate. Oh well, we each have our own fave hubs.

Last edited by Brutie; Feb 20, 2007 at 2:51 am
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by KevAZ
Too far east, too far south, too far from anything other than BofA or Wachovia .

Charlotte is a nice little town, but not worthy of a national hub,
Seriously? You cannot possibly be serious. Oh wait, I see, you're from out of town...that explains it...LOL
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:55 am

I did fly thru PHX last week for the first time. Well not thru, into and out of. I dont know enuf about the area to comment on the location of it, though I thought the airport was very nice, and I loved that I got a free flu shot. I've never had a flu shot in my entire life, so I figured what the hell, its free...LOL

I thought it was a very nice airport and I loved all the "purple people" milling around to help you with any questions, etc, etc. I found that wonderful for flying into a new airport and wish others had "purple people". It also didnt seem all that far from our room at Canyon Villas, though I didnt really notice the time or anything as we drove to and from the airport since each time we didnt go straight to or from there.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 3:47 am

Programs: US Gold, CO Silver,HH Gold,*wood Gold
CLT and PIT always made US (EAST) the best connecting airline in the nation-as long as you could avoid PHL. PIT still is the best overall (insert standard mournful loss of PIT hub statement here yadda yadda yadda) and even better now as the airport is essentially built for Atlanta sized volume and with it's current moderate volume, never has crowding induced air traffic or ground delays. Also, still some of the best, experienced, helpful employees around.

CLT is equally pleasant in my opinion, but more jammed and more difficult to connect.

The other hub i like is PHX which so far has worked well for me.

Bad hubs? ORD, LAS, IAD, ATL and of course the all time worst: PHL
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:36 am

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerPhil
I'm with you, though I have to say, I like connecting through the McNamara terminal in DTW better than CLT. CLT could also use some moving sidewalks in B & C. I just wish I didn't have to connect at all... (<< insert standard "loss of PIT" mourning statement here >> )
I agree about the moving sidewalks.....if you have a tight connection to/from express and have to get from/to the end of B & C, it's cardiac hell. I'm looking forward to trying it as a non smoker now, hopefully it will be better!!

Other than that, CLT is a great airport if you have to connect. I used it when going south, schedule wise, it sucks from PIT if you're going west (<< insert standard "loss of PIT" mourning statement here >> ). My west connections are through ORD. NEVER NEVER NEVER fly through PHL....I fly UA before subjecting myself to that dump.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
CLT is really not a bad hub. Not nearly as good as PIT, but not bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.