Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-PHL-SFO Weather Tomorrow (pecking order??)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: US SP
BOS-PHL-SFO Weather Tomorrow (pecking order??)

A buddy of mine and I are flying BOS-PHL-SFO tomorrow and the weather is going to be horrible. Now, I have two confirmed F seats on both legs as a result of purchasing a coach ticket and using 40,000 miles to upgrade both seats round trip.

What is my pecking order in case the flight(s) are cancelled and I get a later one? I don't have status .. but any chance I will retain my F seats for the two legs. The PHL-SFO is on the A321, which is decent.

Just wondering if, in this scenario, a person with status trumps me??
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
If there are open seats that have not been taken, you should get priority as you already have confirmed F seats. However, on the day of the flight, you may just be able to take what you can get to get out of there and follow up afterwards to get your 40000 miles refunded if they end up putting you in Y.

If they rebook you on another airline (like UA's non stop) in the event of cancellation, be sure to ask for F seats.

I was flying on a BOS-LGA shuttle last week, and a few of us were trying to go standby on a shuttle that left and hour earlier. All of us had confirmed F seats on the next flight due to status, but one of us had paid F. When we went standby, he was the only one who retained his F seat.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
...on the day of the flight, you may just be able to take what you can get to get out of there and follow up afterwards to get your 40000 miles refunded if they end up putting you in Y...
I agree. With weather issues, everybody is in a race to reach an agent to make alternative arrangements. A Preferred member with access to Preferred phone lines has the edge in reaching an agent to make changes, and even then, the only seats left may be in coach. Last week, I was happy to give up my complimentary upgrade to take the last-row seat in coach on another flight in order to get to my destination the same day.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by MPSCAN1
What is my pecking order in case the flight(s) are cancelled and I get a later one?
Keep a very close eye on the weather and flight status tomorrow. There is a very good chance that you will not be leaving until Thursday. Here's the latest Boston weather picture:

THE SNOW SHOULD QUICKLY BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES BY DAYBREAK WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL HAVE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE WEDNESDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR. IN FACT...SNOW MAY BE FALLING AT 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING...LIMITING VISIBILITIES TO A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES. THE SNOW WILL GRADUALLY TRANSITION TO A MIXTURE OF PRECIPITATION BY EARLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AS WARMER AIR ALOFT MOVES OVERHEAD. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL EVEN MORE HAZARDOUS...WITH SOME ICING POSSIBLE.

BY EARLY EVENING...ANY MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE BACK TO SNOW. NEAR-BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE LATE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON INLAND...MOVING TOWARD THE COAST BY EVENING AS WINDS AROUND THE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE INCREASE. THE SNOW WILL END BY LATER WEDNESDAY NIGHT. BOTH THE MORNING AND EVENING COMMUTES ON WEDNESDAY ARE EXPECTED TO BE TREACHEROUS.

TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM 5 TO 8 INCHES ALONG THE COAST...TO 7 TO 14 INCHES ALONG AND WEST OF ROUTE 128. CONSIDERABLE ICING WILL BE POSSIBLE AS WELL.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
As much as I am hoping for a big snow storm in PHL - I have a hard time believing that anything more than 1-3 inches will fall. The local media here are notorious for being incredible alarmists when it comes to this stuff.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by mlatuchie
As much as I am hoping for a big snow storm in PHL - I have a hard time believing that anything more than 1-3 inches will fall. The local media here are notorious for being incredible alarmists when it comes to this stuff.
Agreed!! But the OP is originating from Boston tomorrow. The weather alert I posted above is for Boston.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
Right, I had just been taking a look at the updated NBC10 forecast and saw they're increasing their anticipated snowfall for the Delaware Valley - it's coming down pretty hard at 16th & JFK right now, and people are starting to leave work early, but I still think it'll be in the 1-3 inch range in PHL. I can never trust Hurricane Schwartz too much!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: None
So far (a little after 2 pm), BOS seems to be operating pretty well - relatively minor departure delays.

PHL is a different story, with inbound traffic delayed an average of almost 6 hours.

Jim
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:24 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
PHL is a different story, with inbound traffic delayed an average of almost 6 hours.

Jim
same story, different day. God, how I feel for those poor souls stuck in PHL for the whole day. We've all been in their shoes!!!!!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:45 pm

Ain't it the truth. If I were leaving BOS this afternoon or evening I think I'd already start looking for options connecting anywhere but PHL.....

Jim
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:52 pm

Ah, the crown jewel strikes back:
(as of 2/13/07 at 14:51)
Originally Posted by faa.gov
Due to WX/SNOW REMOVAL, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Chicago OHare International Airport, Chicago, IL (ORD). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 3 hours. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
Delays by Destination:
Due to WEATHER/SNOW REMOVAL, departure traffic destined to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, Washington, DC (DCA) is currently experiencing delays averaging 26 minutes.

Due to WEATHER/LOW CIGS/VIS, departure traffic destined to Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Due to WEATHER/WIND, departure traffic destined to John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, NY (JFK) is currently experiencing delays averaging 52 minutes.

Due to WX/SNOW/LOW CIGS/VIS, departure traffic destined to La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Due to WX/SNOW/LOW CIGS/VIS, departure traffic destined to Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, PA (PHL) is currently experiencing delays averaging 5 hours and 52 minutes.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:03 pm

SIX HOUR DELAY out of PHL??? There's maybe two inches of snow here and it's snowing very lightly now.

Wait until the storm really pops in Boston tomorrow...
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
SIX HOUR DELAY out of PHL???
No - almost 6 hour delays (that the average) for flights inbound to PHL. Departure delays appear to be relatively minimal (assuming no delays for the destination). Not counting outbound delays caused by the aircraft being late inbound, of course.

Jim
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
No - almost 6 hour delays (that the average) for flights inbound to PHL. Departure delays appear to be relatively minimal (assuming no delays for the destination). Not counting outbound delays caused by the aircraft being late inbound, of course.

Jim
Thanks for catching that!

BTW, snow and fog have picked up in PHL quite a bit. Can't see too many flights landing here for a while.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mlatuchie
Right, I had just been taking a look at the updated NBC10 forecast and saw they're increasing their anticipated snowfall for the Delaware Valley - it's coming down pretty hard at 16th & JFK right now, and people are starting to leave work early, but I still think it'll be in the 1-3 inch range in PHL. I can never trust Hurricane Schwartz too much!
I think that bow tie is tied a bit too tight.... they just said on the news that 25% of all outbound PHL flights have been canceled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.