Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I use CP envoy TA voucher on award tix?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Can I use CP envoy TA voucher on award tix?

Mrs. Diggler and I are flying CLT-CDG next September and I have been waiting on my new vouchers for Envoy. However, it has occurred to me to use miles instead of cash (brilliant, i know). I'm not much of a TA traveler - mainly a segment runner, so I haven't ever used one of these. I can't find it anywhere:

Can I use the CP upgrade coupons to upgrade some kind of award ticket, or is it for paid tickets only? I suppose I can use the miles to purchase an Envoy ticket, but I'd hate to waste the vouchers if I can use them.

Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:15 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Don't know... maybe a premium award if that loophole hasnt been closed?

Those things are worthless on paid fares, let alone freebies.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
I doubt your award travel would book into a fare class that would be eligible for CP Cert upgrade. I think its M, Q and possibly V class only to use the certs. This is of course and offensive slight to CPs since those fare buckets are very pricey and its likely cheaper for you to just buy GO Envoy for $500 each way..

There are a few threads on this bouncing around, but hope that helps.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:39 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately, the CP upgrade certs are only valid for Y, B, M, H, and Q fares, and your award travel won't book into those classes.

Your only option if you want to use the certs is to cancel the award tickets (no fees as you're a CP) and purchase a qualifying fare.

Otherwise, you could see if they have Envoy availability on your route and "trade in" your coach award seats for Envoy - if you have the miles.

<begin rant>The CP upgrade certs are, IMO, absolutely worthless. The fares you have to book them on are generally very expensive, and they are not confirmable in advance (though possibly at the 7-day window). When you're going on a vacation, you don't want to screw around with what "might" happen or what "could" work, you want to know exactly what's going to be.

US should either abolish the certificates completely or make them an actual benefit with confirmed-at-booking for Y, B, M, H, Q, and upgradable (but not confirmed in advance) for all W, V, S, and T fares (I think that only leaves two or three fare classes that are ultra-deep-discount).</end rant>

Sorry I can't share better news with you...
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
They ARE confirmable at time of booking. Y, B i think are the only 2 classes. At times, these fares are HIGHER then booking a regular envoy tix. So again, as you stated, they are USELESS.

The product stinks, the price is high....wonder why they are taking envoy seats out???
Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Thanks for the minor corrections, but we are in agreement not only on the useability, but also that the certs stink!

Which brings me to topic #2:
If you are going to CLT-CDG on miles, might I suggest taking UA of LH. The only advantage of going through PHL is the Envoy Lounge, but if you plan accordingly, you can still fly UA via IAD and if not mistaken, LH has a flight out of CLT.....
This holds even more true, if you are flying in C!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
that's actually what I'm considering.....I'd prefer LH and Munich over either IAD or PHL. I suppose it's a little more flying, but how much more can it be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.