Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Withdraws Delta Offer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Keep Your SmeltYa!

Thank goodness we're not stuck with that rotten airline!

If it went through, I would have been forced back to WN and Ted. Not happy about either of those choices, so this is a win for me.

Out of all the majors in the USA, DL was the one I resisted returning to the longest for any reason. I flew PanAm after DL. DL bumped people left and right to Europe in the late 80's and early 90's and did it with nasty elan I've only encountered at NW.

Wee hoo! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Great news as the chance that US would have left the *A would have been very bad news for us UA flyers out of PHL.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:39 pm

Anyone else find it funny that the general reaction here is the exact same as on the Delta board (we didn't want them, I hate that crappy airline)?

I guess better the devil you know than the devil you don't know...
Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
Originally Posted by sdlevi27
Anyone else find it funny that the general reaction here is the exact same as on the Delta board (we didn't want them, I hate that crappy airline)?

I guess better the devil you know than the devil you don't know...
Or the devil of having not as much competition - i.e. 3 carrier setup if the merger cascade happened...with HPUSDL at the bottom...
Old Jan 31, 2007, 4:00 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Wow, that's hateful... but those are hilarous photos...
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:07 pm
GAC
Suspended

Great News only because I would hated to lose *A. Now, let get on with buying United
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:27 pm

I love it.

Rita
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:26 pm

As a US Airways res employee, thank God it's not happening. We haven't even any where near completely merged with HP yet! I'm at the US Res/DM/Baggage/Rates European office in Liverpool, and there was a big fear here that we would be closed after the merger, since DL have a big res centre in London. There was also the feeling that, while his intentions were good, Mr Parker was biting off more than he could chew, too soon. However, in the longer term, a few big carriers will probably have to merge to save them from multiple bankruptcies, as we did. We all felt it wasn't the right time for another merger so soon. Next month we move over to Shares.. would have been a nightmare to move to the DL system so soon after...

Just my thoughts..
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Originally Posted by RICflyer
on yesterdays conference call US stated that once the DL questions was answered then they would announce a new airplane order rather fast. This is to replace the 737's
...you mean all the ones that just got repainted into the new livery?

I took that as a sign those birds were staying around for a while...
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:11 pm

Programs: US1, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President
One chapter in a Book

I just wonder if this is just one chapter in a book. I am sure DL creditors enjoyed US helping them get better deal with DL. Having spent time traveling internationally, I am not sure DL new plan to drive increasing revenue will work since there product does not really compete well with many other foriegn carriers. Next chapter should be interesting. US has really come a long way if you looked on odds of them surviving 3 years ago to today it is impressive.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Parker's statement

Here is Parker's statement. Quite biting:

US Airways Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Parker stated, "We are disappointed that the Committee, which has been chosen to act on behalf of all Delta creditors, is ignoring its fiduciary obligation to those creditors. Our proposal would have provided substantially more value to Delta's unsecured creditors than the Delta stand-alone plan. We would have created a better and more financially stable airline that offered more choice to consumers and increased job security to its employees. Our merger would have been able to be consummated in a reasonable time-frame and we would have been able to obtain all requisite regulatory approvals.

"The publicly traded bonds of Delta have fallen precipitously since rumors of this Committee decision were leaked last week, reducing the implied market valuation of what Delta's unsecured creditors can expect to recover in these cases by over $1.5 billion. We empathize with the investors who purchased Delta bonds at increasingly higher prices since our offer was announced last November and thank them for their support of our proposal and their confidence in our team. It is now clear that there will not be an opportunity with the Committee to move forward in a timely or productive manner and as a result, we have withdrawn our offer."

Mr. Parker added, "At US Airways, we are extremely confident in our own stand-alone plan. Earlier this week, we announced a 2006 profit (excluding charges) of over $500 million, far and away the best performance by a network airline. Our employees will share $59 million of well-deserved profit sharing payments as a result. Looking forward, we expect even higher earnings and a higher profit sharing pool in 2007. Our 35,000 employees are doing a wonderful job of transforming US Airways and we are committed to building the best airline we can for them. I can't thank them enough for their support, encouragement, and professionalism during this process. I am very proud of how our entire team performed."
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:11 pm

Programs: Lots O Metal
Thumbs up

Having no experience with travel on DL, I can’t speak for the service there. It seems posters here don’t fancy them too much, either way. My concern echoes those that posted US were ‘biting off more than they could chew’.

SABRE and Shares is already a nightmare…
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Forbes Magazine saying Delta is going down

Did anybody post this yet?

http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/31/air...rtner=yahootix

For all their smugness I think it is a bad day for Delta. Of course, US is not out of the woods yet either.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
the spin from Charlotte

Here's what the Observer said this morning. Essentially it's expressing relief that service won't change for Charlotte-Douglas Int'l.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...s/16593571.htm (free registration req'd)

US Airways' failed takeover helps Charlotte
End of US Airways' takeover attempt of Delta means city is still a major airline hub
STEVE HARRISON
[email protected]
US Airways' failed bid for Delta Air Lines will ensure that Charlotte remains a major airline hub, along with keeping more competition in small cities throughout the Carolinas and the Southeast.

It may also end other airlines' talk of becoming bigger through mergers, at least temporarily.

And for US Airways, the end of its 11-week quest to buy Delta and create the world's largest airline means it must return to the less glamorous task of fully integrating America West and US Airways, which merged 16 months ago. That includes creating a single computer reservations system and forging new labor contracts with its unions.

Delta had rallied its employees by pledging to remain independent. Chief Executive Gerald Grinstein has said emphatically that Delta hasn't talked to Northwest about a merger, as was previously reported.

But The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this week that Delta told its creditors it could be open to a merger in the future.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:32 pm

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Delta Email

Just received this from Delta- seems the entire purpose was to gloat about US withdrawing their offer. They should have had the backbone to had the subject be- "We won" rather than pussyfooting around.

Our Future Looks Bright
Hello Mr. Vose,
Good things are happening at Delta, and they are all designed to make your worldwide travel experience with us even better. In addition to things such as the many new international destinations, state-of-the-art entertainment systems, more comfortable and stylish cabins and seats, better food and beverages and advanced technology at our award-winning kiosks and on delta.com, to name just a few, we've launched and will continue to implement several new changes designed to make our SkyMiles® program more valuable and user-friendly for you:

In mid-December, award combinability was introduced, a new program that allows customers the ability to mix and match First, Business, Coach, SkyChoice and SkySaver awards, which can save you thousands of miles on your next redemption.
For our Medallion® members, in addition to continuing to offer unlimited and complimentary upgrades, we've made requesting an upgrade automatic, we now provide immediate transfer to the airport upgrade standby list, and will soon introduce proactive outbound upgrade notifications via email, text or voicemail.
In late February, we will launch calendar award search functionality on delta.com, that will soon allow customers to find more easily those hard-earned award seats to our over 400 worldwide destinations.
In addition to announcing these new SkyMiles benefits, I wanted you to be aware of other important developments that support Delta's on-going commitment to earn and reward your loyalty. Our Creditors' Committee has announced that it supports proceeding with our plans to emerge from Chapter 11 this spring as an independent, standalone airline. This is an important validation of the strength of our business plan and our determination to continue to deliver the improvements it contemplates for you. On a related front, US Airways announced it has withdrawn its unsolicited proposal to merge with Delta.

To the thousands of you in all 50 United States and 105 countries who joined countless community leaders, concerned citizens, consumer and travel organizations, and lawmakers in support of Delta employees' "Keep Delta My Delta!" campaign, Thank You! Your support to help keep airfares competitive and customer service and destination choices high was a success. Importantly, it helped ensure that 45,000 proud Delta professionals around the globe will continue to have the opportunity to meet your personal and business travel needs with world-class service and superior performance—now and in the future.

We are honored by your support and very appreciative of your business. Thank you for flying Delta!

Lee Macenczak
Executive Vice President of Sales & Customer Service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.