Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLT and GSP may have issues on Thursday...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
CLT and GSP may have issues on Thursday...

I have been watching the weather for the Charlotte and Greenville areas and it seems Thursday is going to be a mess.. I am wondering if anyone else is scheduled to fly throw what they call "the corridor where no one should be traveling on Thursday".

I am curious on what is going to happen? Any ideas to protect oneself?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:14 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Up here in WV, they are calling for snow north of BKW, and freezing rain for us in the southern part of WV and Southwest VA.

I wonder if freezing rain/ice is headed towards CLT and GSP also?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
... the weather for the Charlotte and Greenville areas and it seems Thursday is going to be a mess...Any ideas to protect oneself?
It's rare for CLT, possibly GSP too, to get enough bad wintry weather to affect flights significantly, but it does happen and Thursday, according to weather.com, looks like one of those days

I think highly of the CP Desk, but until word comes down from higher up, the angels don't have the authority to re-route on a pro-active basis. As soon as flights get cancelled or significantly delayed to affect connections, then they can swing into action if you're not happy with the alternate flights already selected for you by the computer.

Thank goodness I'm flying out of CLT on Friday - what a difference a day makes, as it's supposed to have a high in the 50's.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 4:54 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
If those airports don't work out, try AVL or CAE- quick drives down 276 or up I-385/I-77.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
If those airports don't work out, try AVL or CAE...

CAE may be OK as the day progresses (high of 43 projected), but AVL, expecting 2 to 4 inches of snow tomorrow, would probably have flight delays/cancellations.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:30 am
KDT

I'm in GSP this weekand supposed to do GSP-CLT-BOS on Thurs. I'm already protected on some Friday AM flights. The driving will get bad before the airports do, so alternate departure points aren't really a good option.

Supposed to be snow in the mountains (AVL), changing to ice. Brief snow, then ice along the I-85 corridor (GSP/CLT), changing to rain at some point. Tonight's low temp will be the factor that determines how long the ice lasts and how bad it will be.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:49 pm

My parents are flying CLT-LGA on US 1708 tomorrow which departs at 12:55 pm. The forecast is quite troubling. They are not seasoned travelers. Any suggestions on how to help them?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
I like using this site to view surface conditions at airports.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/java_metars/
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
It will be too warm for it stick down here at CHS so if you are able to come down to the coast, I would recommend it.....the 1230 and 535 pm flights are 737 with upgrade availability......the rest are those lousy CRJ-900s.....
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:33 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by uva185
I like using this site to view surface conditions at airports.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/java_metars/
Very nice site! I like the "zoom" feature.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by trvlr70
My parents are flying CLT-LGA on US 1708 tomorrow which departs at 12:55 pm. The forecast is quite troubling. They are not seasoned travelers. Any suggestions on how to help them?
Actually, I just got off the phone and changed my folks reservations. They are heading up to NYC this evening now on a 9:55 pm departure. US has waived any change fees due to inclement winter weather. Take advantage and reschedule immediately. Things will be marketed different in 14 hours.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: None
The local weather folks are saying it'll extend to the GSO area also. Talking about up to an inch of snow before changing over to freezing rain.

Jim
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
All FF Gurus ,
This is very much new to me

I am scheduled to flying out to CLT ( to PHL) tomorrow 5:30 PM

Should fly out early or reschedule to Friday -- Any suggestions ??

-Rbnaidu
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: None
As long as you're not making a connection in PHL, you'll probably be OK. Temps in CLT are supposed to be above freezing during the day, which will help. Expect delays, however.

FWIW, snow and sleet aren't as bad as freezing rain - they just cause delays for de-icing. Freezing rain can bring the operation to a halt if it's heavy enough.

Jim
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
As long as you're not making a connection in PHL, you'll probably be OK. Temps in CLT are supposed to be above freezing during the day, which will help. Expect delays, however.

FWIW, snow and sleet aren't as bad as freezing rain - they just cause delays for de-icing. Freezing rain can bring the operation to a halt if it's heavy enough.

Jim
Thanks , I am releived a bit.

-Rbnaidu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.