Wiki Posts
Search

America West plane sighted in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
America West plane sighted in South Africa

Was connecting thru JNB on Dec. 31 and saw this America West plane sitting on the tarmac. Couldn't figure out what was so unusual at first! Last place I expected to see an America West plane.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/robbie.../ph//my_photos

I wonder which South African carrier it was going to? Was it sold or off-lease?
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I guess you missed the announcement that US/HP are starting non-stop service from PHX to JNB? Those early 737's are amazing aircraft, what with their 10,019 mile range and all...

That would cause a serious double-take for me - South Africa is about the last place I would have expected to see an HP-painted plane. Thanks for sharing the photos!
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:27 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
When US (comma East) used to send planes to the desert or to buyers or back to the lessor, I believe they simply pained over the "US Airways" part. I guess that'd be tough to do in that case of HP livery.

That looks like an old 737 that was probably simply never (or not yet) repainted before heading off to it's new owner.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Awesome photo - thanks for sharing that. A great reminder of home while you're away.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:11 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Who knows, maybe it was one of those OLD 737-200's that disappeared last year??? Who knows... strange, that would definitely have me doing a double take.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:14 pm

Programs: CO-P, HH-DIAMOND, *WOOD-PLAT
getting way off topic, but is it to early to propose a DO for world cup '10?
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mojorisin'
I wonder which South African carrier it was going to?
I think I'll answer my own question!

It has to be kulula.com because they use old 737-200s (was on one last year). kulula is the low cost carrier arm of Comair (British Airways). The other lcc, flymango, is the lcc arm of SAA, and they use more modern planes (flew flymango this year).
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:29 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
The HP plane in the OP's photos is no 737-200. It is a 733.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:39 am

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
It was probably carrying Oprah and her entourage when she was down there.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
If that HP plane took off from CLT on its way to JNB, I wonder where it would "land"? Any guesses?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
If they flew it empty without incabin tanks, probably something like clt-yyr-snn-ath-cai-nbo-jnb.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by sbtinme
The HP plane in the OP's photos is no 737-200. It is a 733.
The shape of the engine confirms it is not a 737-200, but is a 737-300. The 200s had those old long and thin engines. The 300s have these odd-shaped air intakes.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by BF263533
The shape of the engine confirms it is not a 737-200, but is a 737-300. The 200s had those old long and thin engines. The 300s have these odd-shaped air intakes.
Is this that clapped-out old 733 with the Indonesian instructional signs in the lavs? Good riddance if it is gone.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:53 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Is this that clapped-out old 733 with the Indonesian instructional signs in the lavs? Good riddance if it is gone.
Nope, I flew on that one a few weeks ago from SFO to PHX or LAS, if I recall. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure it out and then finally asked where the plane came from. The FA was kind enough to tell me.... that or she lied, but I kind of doubt it.

Better yet, I saw some US Dash-8's if I'm correct in Cape Verde when I was there 6 years ago... must have been from Bankruptcy #1
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Alphaguy
Nope, I flew on that one a few weeks ago from SFO to PHX or LAS, if I recall. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure it out and then finally asked where the plane came from. The FA was kind enough to tell me.... that or she lied, but I kind of doubt it.

Better yet, I saw some US Dash-8's if I'm correct in Cape Verde when I was there 6 years ago... must have been from Bankruptcy #1
Does a Dash 8 travel there under its own power or by boat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.