Wiki Posts
Search

Bump compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Bump compensation

Is there no latitude anymore/
Just the Zone 1/2/3 Roundtrip or the $off depending on Zone?

Was on a LAS-DCA trip last night, they needed 3 vols, they got only one. I asked if they were going to increase compensation to, say, 2-R/T vouchers and they said no, they'd deny boarding to the last two to check-in.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
everytime i've been around offers for VDB (and have taken them) Its always been the same....just a voucher (accompanied with hotel/FC on next flight if necessary). Ive never heard them up the offer...they just IVDB'd the people after that.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:38 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
You can request a voucher that is like "US Airways dollars" towards a future purchased trip. They do not like to issue those, but if you are persistent, you may receive that instead. This type of voucher can be used towards a paid ticket with which you will earn Dividend Miles and segments. The roundtrip voucher functions like an award ticket (X class) and can be challenging to redeem.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:08 am

Programs: NW Plat, Marriott Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
The roundtrip vouchers are actually not too bad - they can be used to book into award classes _or_ converted to $200 off any fare. If you (can) plan ahead, you can get significantly more value with an award booking, or if the fare is under $200, or no award availability, you can take the $200 off (assuming you're buying more than one ticket if the fare is under $200 - I think it only applies to the fare, not taxes and fees).

Note, though, that these must be redeemed in person to a ticket agent (which in my case is ~2 hr round trip of driving). I was told they are going to go all electronic with the vouchers in the May timeframe (but it sounds like this may slip a bit).

jon
Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by fiedler77
The roundtrip vouchers are actually not too bad - they can be used to book into award classes _or_ converted to $200 off any fare. If you (can) plan ahead, you can get significantly more value with an award booking, or if the fare is under $200, or no award availability, you can take the $200 off (assuming you're buying more than one ticket if the fare is under $200 - I think it only applies to the fare, not taxes and fees).

Note, though, that these must be redeemed in person to a ticket agent (which in my case is ~2 hr round trip of driving). I was told they are going to go all electronic with the vouchers in the May timeframe (but it sounds like this may slip a bit).

jon
Roundtrip vouchers can be converted into $200 off a fare (?) I thought there were two different kinds of vouchers, free roundtrips OR vouchers toward a future paid flight.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: US Silver Preferred
Originally Posted by me4yankees
Roundtrip vouchers can be converted into $200 off a fare (?) I thought there were two different kinds of vouchers, free roundtrips OR vouchers toward a future paid flight.
haven't received one yet, but I'm pretty sure the new vouchers give the customer the choice of using it as a RTFC or $200 voucher. in essence, it's a single voucher that can be used for either of the two options.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by scophreak
haven't received one yet, but I'm pretty sure the new vouchers give the customer the choice of using it as a RTFC or $200 voucher. in essence, it's a single voucher that can be used for either of the two options.
If that is true, then that is great! ^
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: NW Plat, Marriott Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
Originally Posted by me4yankees
Yes. I just had a RTFC voucher (issued 3 Apr 06) that I converted to $200 off a fare. When I first called, she looked for award travel (which was unavailable) on my dates and then made the reservation. I had to take the voucher to the airport to get it ticketed, but $200 was deducted off the fare.

They ended up taking $100 off each of our fares (two people travelling), so you might still be able to use this if the fare is under $200 and you have multiple travellers.

Since you get to make the choice, you get to figure out how to get the most value out of it.

jon
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:38 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by fiedler77
I was told they are going to go all electronic with the vouchers in the May timeframe (but it sounds like this may slip a bit).

jon
Here in PHX we have started issuing our RTC vouchers electronically (with the exception of the international gates which are unable to do so at this time).
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Here in PHX we have started issuing our RTC vouchers electronically (with the exception of the international gates which are unable to do so at this time).
That's awesome! So I assume we can use them online on the website now?

Saves me a 200 mile trip any time I want to use one... ^ ^
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
One more note on the vouchers -

If you haven't seen them, US has printed up brochures describing VDB/IDB situations and exactly what the process is, compensation amounts, etc. It specifically highlights the ability to use the compensation as an award ticket in Region 1/2/3 or as a dollar-off value of $200/$300/$400, depending on where you are traveling to when bumped.

There are a ton of these pamphlets in PHX at the ticket counters - I assume they can be found at other US ticket counters...

I think BoeingBoy or one of the other US employees on here posted the name of the brochure earlier.

My point is I don't think you have to specifically request one type of compensation or another - you choose at the time of booking how you want to use it.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:21 pm

Programs: US SP, DL SM
Redeeming Vouchers

I recently booked a ticket using a voucher and opted to use the dollar amount ($300/Region 2) and had a similar experience to fielder777. No award tickets were available and I also wanted to be eligible for an upgrade and miles.

The total ticket came to $297.80 and the TA gave me a voucher for $2.20. While the small amount makes it useless since I will pay more to park at the airport or take the metro there; had I been able to find a cheaper flight I may have been able to get two round trips out of the one voucher.

Not sure if this a new policy or old, but it certainly makes me more likely to take a bump.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:36 am
Original Poster

This thread got a little off topic, the original question was, do they ever up the ante. The answer, which I've verified with several GAs since is NO. Just the single R/T voucher or $off depending on Region 1/2/3 of original booking and add-ons of meal vouchers and hotels if appropriate to the rebooking, sometimes in FC if available.

My last voucher was the new "Take Flight Certificate" which can be redeemed over the phone according to instructions on the certificate. No indication that it can be done online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.