Wiki Posts
Search

New service to South America?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None-Airline employee
New service to South America?

This was posted on another board. If I'm reading this correctly, US has an application with the DOT to begin service to Buenos Aires and Montevideo. Looks like it is an older application that is being renewed.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p88/436355.pdf
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:02 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
It looks like an application to extend the codeshare with United. If they wanted to do something in South America, they ought to consider Chile, which is a hole in the Star Alliance network and dominated by One World.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Hmmm, DL already flies nonstop ATL to EZE ...if the hostile bid for DL succeeds, they'd already have their own route down to the Pampas and don't have to codeshare with UA (though UA goes on from EZE to MVD, and DL does not). Just wondering out loud here as to why this application is being filed at this time...
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:59 pm

Programs: CO,US,BA
Originally Posted by us2
It looks like an application to extend the codeshare with United. If they wanted to do something in South America, they ought to consider Chile, which is a hole in the Star Alliance network and dominated by One World.
Nope, it's an application for Direct US flights from the U.S. to Montevideo and Buenos Aires. There is a notation in the Docket that US currently code shares the route with UA, but the application clearly states it's for future direct flights on US. This route application is a Renewal of an earlier submission which was about to expire.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 4:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Chile is served by lx and ac ... So it's not a huge whole as much as an underserved market.

That being said, I'm suprised us would apply for a route that completely overlaps ua, ac and other *a carriers.

Since varig's demise a ton of sa is no longer efficiently served so you'd think us would try to fill the vacuum instead of overlap a current *a route and try to compete with superior service (ha!).
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:33 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by kudzu
Hmmm, DL already flies nonstop ATL to EZE ...if the hostile bid for DL succeeds, they'd already have their own route down to the Pampas and don't have to codeshare with UA (though UA goes on from EZE to MVD, and DL does not). Just wondering out loud here as to why this application is being filed at this time...
Business as usual...The "hostile" (soooo sick of the overly emphasis of that word) bid to buy Delta may or may not happen...hopefully it won't!
Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Yeah, it seems that with Varig's uhhh.... reorganization, Brazil would make more sense.

(Insert standard US & Logic walk into a bar joke here _________)

But anyway, airlines have been known to file applications with the DOT and not follow through on them. Just something else to throw into the equation.

Maybe they are just exploring their options.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acenturi
Nope, it's an application for Direct US flights from the U.S. to Montevideo and Buenos Aires. There is a notation in the Docket that US currently code shares the route with UA, but the application clearly states it's for future direct flights on US. This route application is a Renewal of an earlier submission which was about to expire.
It's an application to extend US' existing authority, which can be flown with US metal or by codeshare. If the authority were not extended, the current UAL codeshare would have to end in March.

Nothing in the application leads me to believe that US is gonna end the codeshare and begin flying its own metal. US would have the authority to do so, but then again, it's had that authority for almost two years now (and hasn't initiated service on its own metal).
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:15 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by FWAAA
It's an application to extend US' existing authority, which can be flown with US metal or by codeshare. If the authority were not extended, the current UAL codeshare would have to end in March.

Nothing in the application leads me to believe that US is gonna end the codeshare and begin flying its own metal. US would have the authority to do so, but then again, it's had that authority for almost two years now (and hasn't initiated service on its own metal).
True, but they really haven't (or currently have) the metal to do it. Would PHL or CLT to EZE be a good route for them? Maybe. But until the 332's come online in 2009, it's a moot point. This application will allow them to save that option though.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:45 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by kudzu

To re-up the authority to codeshare with UA. There is no metal for anything else.

And I'm guessing they'd have to refile for some of these things were they to consolidate the certificates of DL and US and HP at some point.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None-Airline employee
Apparently, Argentina has a limit of four US carriers that it will allow to fly to their country and UA,DL,AA and CO are already there, so unless they release the restriction, US can't begin service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.