Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parker vs. U.S. Senate (and Grinstein) Today: Parker lost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Parker vs. U.S. Senate (and Grinstein) Today: Parker lost

Strictly my opinion, but I sat through about 3 1/2 hours of the hearing today and watched as about 200 Delta employees/retirees showed up for support countered by about 6 US employees (non-management).

All told, Parker's responses were less succinct, senseful, and provacative than Grinstein's (and other witnesses'), but he made sense where he was specifically asked a question by a Senator. He put his foot in his mouth only a few times, largely about not cutting service since the HP merger (ooopps, forgot about those 3 WV cities, Mr. Senator from WV!) and related technicalities.

I met him personally during a break and he seemed frazzled, but confidently answered reporters' questions after the hearing ended.

The posse from US brass was about 15-strong, while that from DL (led by pilots) was, like I said about 200-strong (CEO/legal staff and labor), mostly in the overflow room. The TV footage caught many a Delta pilot in the background of both rooms, however, hearing this all unfold. That alone was very compelling that there is a strong body of folk against this.

My money: no merger. The business case just is not there, at least the way Parker told the US Senate today. Grinstein was far more convincing.

NOTE: since this is not up to the Senate, all that really does not matter. Politics, as you know, are what they are and ultimately affect most things in big business from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.