Wiki Posts
Search

Calculating expiry of miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Calculating expiry of miles

I don't fly US/HP often. Mostly UA/SQ. I have 60k sitting in a HP/US account. Last activity was some hotel stay in Oct/2005.

How do i interpret the expiry rule?
  • miles expire 9/31/2008?
  • miles expire 9/31/2007?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Log in on the website and get the exact date of your last activity. It is now 18 months, so if your activity was 10/2005, your miles should expire "28/05" which is 4/07.

Then call the DMSC and confirm when they think your miles expire. Suggest that they follow UA, DL and AA and actually post on your web statement when your miles expire.

Sign a credit card up with Rewards Network and buy a hotdog somewhere. That gets you another 18 months.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:31 pm

I am equally confused about this My husband's account has miles earned 31 months ago (on AmericaWest). I 'think' there was some letter in the mail last month about them possibly expiring at the end of January, but not sure if I kept it. I noted the above post about the new '18 month rule'... 1) I am not familiar w/US Air Rules and was unaware of this, but 2) I am confused because the website says "Unused miles expire after 36 months of inactivity." This was noted on the VIEW MY MILES page.

So....
--Why does the page say 36 months if it's 18 months?
--Is iDine points the fast way to post points?
--Relative to iDine... If I make a purchase today and it doesn't post for several days and they delete his miles, will they reinstate them because the activity technically occurred before his cut off date?

Thanks for any help!!! I lost my AmericaWest miles because I didn't keep track of the expiration date, so I don't want to lose his too.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

I did speak to the USDM center on the phone on Saturday morning. THey confirmed that the expiry is 18 months since the last activity. Computing 18 from 10/05, yields 3/07. I am going to try and get some idine or shopping mall purchases to post by then so the account stays alive.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:53 pm

my last acitivity was 22 months ago, not including the HP to US transfer

my last activity was some type of enrollment bonus in march of 2005. i have not dont anything since then. it was a credit to my HP account.

the only activity was when my HP account was closed and transferred to a US account.

when are mine going to expire? if they used my last activity, they'd be gone by now or are are they using the date when they were transferred?

when i log on using my old HP account name and password, US says i have 20k miles to use.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Preventing expiry:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=expiring
Old Feb 2, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
OK. I'm a little confused on the retroactive nature of the change. My last activity on USAirways was in December 2004. Under the three year policy I was still OK for another year, but the policy changed (I guess two days ago). Is this change retroactive? Are my miles going to disappear any day now? I actually do have a USAirways credit card so I'm going to go make sure to put some charge on it (dont use it normally) ... but wanted to know the expert verdict on what the 18 month timeline means for those with dormant accounts more than that but less than the old 36 month timeline.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by pitflyer
OK. I'm a little confused on the retroactive nature of the change. My last activity on USAirways was in December 2004. Under the three year policy I was still OK for another year, but the policy changed (I guess two days ago). Is this change retroactive? Are my miles going to disappear any day now? I actually do have a USAirways credit card so I'm going to go make sure to put some charge on it (dont use it normally) ... but wanted to know the expert verdict on what the 18 month timeline means for those with dormant accounts more than that but less than the old 36 month timeline.
Your miles may be gone. The new policy started Jan 31, 2007 and shold expire accounts with no activity after mid-2005.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:06 pm

Smile Dont' let them expire, try this

www.usairways.rewardsnetwork.com

Join for FREE

Eat at any restaurant on the program and you'll earn miles and keep your account from expiring.

Like a previous response "go get a hot dog", in most cities you can find restaurants from quick serve to fine dining.

Good luck!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Here's my data if it helps anyone.

Last activity 10/05. Confirmed with the DM CSR that expiry will be 18 months from that date i.e. 3/07.

Bought a couple of songs from iTunes two weeks ago. Miles posted this week.

02/03/07 02/08/07 DIVIDEND MILES SHOPPING MALL 2
Total miles added from 11/15/06 to 02/13/07 2
Hopefully that counts as activity and will keep the account alive for another 18 months or till I use up the miles.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I did the same for my daughter's account - 2 miles from iTunes. You'll note that the monthly email statement now has a "last activity date" that I used to confirm that this counted as "activity". Her miles were supposed to expire this week, so I'll confirm pretty soon that this was valid. Although I don't see how it couldn't be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.