Broken upgrade processes

Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Broken upgrade processes

It's a commonly discussed topic to be sure.

Flying PHL-PHX-OAK this morning and didn't clear on the PHL-PHX leg, even on the 321. That's fine, and it happens. Waiting in security this morning, I notice two Golds who are BOTH upgraded on the flight in the O bucket.

Called CP line to ask how this happens when CPs book tickets weeks in advance, expecting the normal "two systems" excuse. Very disappointed with the agent's "tough crap not my problem" attitude.

It is what it is, and I've got a decent exit row seat (where I will watch the GPs in F). Asked to be put on the upgrade list for the "sold out" flight (w/F26) and find that I'm number 6, even with OLCI and as a CP. This is totally unacceptable. You'd think that especially on longer flights where it matters most they'd go to great lengths to get it right. Doing PHL-RDU and back, I can live with it. Transcon, it's unacceptable.

How often are others running into this problem? I'm a captive PHL'er, but this is about enough to send me to Amtrak for my DC runs (which is more convenient and less expensive) and AA for everything else. (For the record, unless UA wants to comp 1K, it'll be a cold day in hades before you see me on that wretched airline.) Is there someone to contact regarding this who is capable of giving anything other than a "merger" excuse?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
I feel your pain. Twice as a CP I've been stuck in the back flying PHX-PHL. That in and of itself made me cranky, but then to see 2 US2s upgraded ahead of you makes for a long flight.

I would certainly write to consumer affairs and ask how this could happen...and what new hoops you now have to jump through to ensure that the upgrades are applied in a manner consistent with the terms of the DM program.

If they are selling 26 F seats, kudos to them, but the new upgrade gnome makes it possible for Plats, Golds, and Silvers to jump ahead of CPs in the upgrade queue if they call at just the right time.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:00 am

I'm right there with you.. and why I only made Gold this go-around.... My recent experience was with a companion LAS-CMH and back... We got upgraded on the outbound..
But, on the return, I got upgraded at the gate and she didn't. During the flight I'm talking to the guy next to me who was saying he "only made silver this year" blah blah blah... Then I asked if he was *currently* a silver and he said yes. He also had a OLCI boarding pass in F - which meant he got upgraded BEFORE the gate.

I agree. Unacceptable. The biggest rant I have is that when I tell US that this is not right, they think I am doing something wrong....

Good luck,
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:08 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by nekbet
...But, on the return, I got upgraded at the gate and she didn't. During the flight I'm talking to the guy next to me who was saying he "only made silver this year" blah blah blah... Then I asked if he was *currently* a silver and he said yes. He also had a OLCI boarding pass in F - which meant he got upgraded BEFORE the gate.
Do you know that this was not paid F or a paid-with-miles F?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
...How often are others running into this problem?...
I sympathize. This is a problem that I hope will be fixed with the systems merger. While status + check-in time is not the fairest (you have to OLCI at the 24-hour mark for the best shot), at least there are objective standards...I'd feel better losing out to another CP in the check-in time race than to another Preferred who happened to be lucky calling in at the right time. Maybe it's Tempe's way of giving everybody a chance, but that's not why I strive so hard to retain CP status...

I don't fly the West side much. The few times I have, I've been lucky. Even my upcoming MCO-LAS on HP this weekend has been upgraded at my window.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
Do you know that this was not paid F or a paid-with-miles F?
Yep. When I noticed his boarding pass, I asked him and he said he was upgraded.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
More anectodal evidence

As a CP I've had a lower upgrade % than as a Plat. Could just be the routes and equip. I've taken thus far but I'm also noticing that when I do get the upgrade, I get the worst seat in F (think 1D on an HP 737) and they can't change it.

On my last trip, a 7 segment mix US / HP whirlwind, nothing upgraded at the window. I had to call to get manual upgrades and was always given the "you see, we're on two different res. systems" excuse.

What really toasted my muffin was flying LAS - PIT on a 757 I was confirmed in 29B up until the day of departure. "Sorry sir, the flight is oversold, that's the best we can do for you." Then, come day of dept, I magically get 26D and 26E went out empty. In the back half of coach there were no fewer than 6 available aisle seats.

It's like no one even bothered to look, they just told me the convenient answer. So much for the legendary CP service I was hoping for. I guess I can't really complain, because I did end up getting the "good" seat, but what was the deal?

By the way, ot - is it HP policy to not hang coats? On the 4 flights I took on them last week I was never once offered to have my coat hung and one FA said "you know where it is".
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by belynch
On the 4 flights I took on them last week I was never once offered to have my coat hung and one FA said "you know where it is".
Ouch!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
I'm not making excuses for US. This is a HUGE problem. I've had very good luck on mixed metal itins. I call the CP desk for East flights and use the on-line chat for West flights. I'm currently on a mixed metal itin. PHL-PHX-SEA-PHX-PHL. The PHL-PHX flight was on East metal. Upgrade cleared at the 7-day window. The PHX-SEA on HP metal cleared at the 7-day window. The SEA-PHX-PHL segments did not clear at the 7-day window. I used on-line chat and the agent promptly upgraded me for both segments on West metal. I don't know why the PHX-SEA segment upgraded, but the other 2 did not. This airline is still running 2 separate systems. I know it is a pain to have to call and ask and ask again but that does seem to work. McFly -- did you try on-line chat? Also, perhaps CPs should also be provided the HP Plat number to use when on HP metal.

FWIW I had a similar experience to belynch. On my PHX-SEA segment on Saturday despite having my coat in my lap hanging over the armrest. The FA never offered to hang my coat and it sat in my lap for 2.5 hours. There are good and bad crews on both sides.

One other issue about the 2 systems. My parents had a voucher to use and asked me to redeem it at PHL for them. They had reserved the tickets with the CP desk, but once the CP agent realized it was a 401 stock voucher she transferred them to someone on the HP side (presumably) the HP Platinum desk. The agent held the reservation and applied the voucher and instructed my Mom to goto the airport. I went to the airport and had to go to the HP check-in counter at PHL. The agent was able to process the voucher and write the tickets; however, she couldn't assign seats since all the flights were on East metal. I know the cutoff is supposedly March, but for this CP it can't come soon enough (assuming it actually works).
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dukeman
I'm not making excuses for US. This is a HUGE problem. I've had very good luck on mixed metal itins. I call the CP desk for East flights and use the on-line chat for West flights. I'm currently on a mixed metal itin. PHL-PHX-SEA-PHX-PHL. The PHL-PHX flight was on East metal. Upgrade cleared at the 7-day window. The PHX-SEA on HP metal cleared at the 7-day window. The SEA-PHX-PHL segments did not clear at the 7-day window. I used on-line chat and the agent promptly upgraded me for both segments on West metal. I don't know why the PHX-SEA segment upgraded, but the other 2 did not. This airline is still running 2 separate systems. I know it is a pain to have to call and ask and ask again but that does seem to work. McFly -- did you try on-line chat? Also, perhaps CPs should also be provided the HP Plat number to use when on HP metal.
This particular itinerary is mixed with PHL-PHX (and vice versa) on East and PHX-OAK-PHX on west. Other than this morning's flight, I cleared on everything that has an F cabin. Had to call to get the red eye return cleared manually, but each of the three times I called (just prior to the window for plats, golds, silvers) I got denied on the PHL-PHX. Ticket was booked on 401 stock. And I also go to enjoy the "pleasure" of 1D on the HP 737 this morning. At least the FA was nice and they returned my bag on the jet bridge in OAK.

They really do make it hard to continue with them. Unfortunately, I'm captive in PHL. If I didn't despise UA, I'd use the status match to 1K offered by my company in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:11 pm

This particular itinerary is mixed with PHL-PHX (and vice versa) on East and PHX-OAK-PHX on west. Other than this morning's flight, I cleared on everything that has an F cabin. Had to call to get the red eye return cleared manually, but each of the three times I called (just prior to the window for plats, golds, silvers) I got denied on the PHL-PHX. Ticket was booked on 401 stock. And I also go to enjoy the "pleasure" of 1D on the HP 737 this morning. At least the FA was nice and they returned my bag on the jet bridge in OAK.

They really do make it hard to continue with them. Unfortunately, I'm captive in PHL. If I didn't despise UA, I'd use the status match to 1K offered by my company in a heartbeat.
May I ask why you despise UA?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Last year I actually paid for transborder (US->Can) F for 4 people with US. Didn't get confirmed seat #s but wasn't too worried. When I bought them there were seats and I was in a rush. Showed up at the airport with lots of time to spare and was handed Y tickets. Was told they gave my seats away with no explanation and didn't even believe I paid for F. Called reservations, they said I clearly paid for F and should be given a seat there. Both checkin and gate said "too bad, we don't believe you, either take the flight in Y or miss it, and wait until tomorrow to return". They refused to put us on another *A carrier. Took many months, uncountable phone calls, and even a charge-reverse from Visa to get a refund for that, along with a lousy $100 voucher for the trouble. Haven't flown US since. Missing an upgrade pales in comparison I think. :-)
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
If I didn't despise UA, I'd use the status match to 1K offered by my company in a heartbeat.
Can you give me your status match to 1K?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
May I ask why you despise UA?
*Ted
*Unimpressive upgrade success, even when paying for it as a 1P
*F from ORD-PHL consisted of drinks in a glass and some pretzels
*Lots o'F8 on the 319s
*Broken IFE in UnitedFirst on the 744's more than once
*Attitude, lots and lots of attitude (admittedly, this was around when pensions went buh-bye)
*united.bomb (i understand this has been improved but it still looks the same to me)
*1P calls routed to India
*"If you want to go to New Mexico, you need to call international" (see above)
*TED
*Express terminal at IAD. I'd prefer terminal F'ed.
*E+ didn't impress me. I'm tall and broad and it's still uncomfortable as heck.
*Did I mention Ted? I don't really like that guy.

Like I said before, I really like AA. They, unfortunately, do not like PHL.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 5:28 pm

It's a commonly discussed topic to be sure.

Flying PHL-PHX-OAK this morning and didn't clear on the PHL-PHX leg, even on the 321. That's fine, and it happens. Waiting in security this morning, I notice two Golds who are BOTH upgraded on the flight in the O bucket.
I have a friend who is Gold and routinely uses miles to upgrade on transcons. He doen't like to chance it.

That is how a gold can get upgraded ahead of you. I'm not saying that was the case here and there are not problems, but that is one scenario.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.