When to sign up for the US Elite Trial

Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriot Gold
Post When to sign up for the US Elite Trial

My wife and I missed US Silver Elite last year by only a few segments. We're going to be flying more this year and should get enough to make gold, but we'd like status as soon as possible so we're going to try to do an elite trial. We've got an 8 segment ALB-PBI RT booked that leaves on the 17th, and I'll sign us up for the trial program soon, but I'm hoping to delay that as much as possible because we'll have some additional travel sometime in the beginning of April and it would be good to be able to do that during our 90 day trial - might even be enough to get us up to Platinum.

But obviously I want to make sure that the 8 segments we have coming up will count, and I'd also like to be able to get upgraded on some of those segments, if possible, so I don't know how much before the flights I should sign up for the program.

Does anyone know if everything takes effect immediately after I call to sign up, or does it take a few days to process?

Once I sign up, it's my understanding that we'll become silver right away and we should be able to be upgraded... will I need to call and ask for the upgrades or will they happen automatically?

Also, one of our 8 segments wound up on UA metal on a code share flight. Does anyone know if that will still count for the trial, or will we really only get 7 segments out of this trip?

Thanks much,
Brett
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
when i did it last year, it went into effect almost instantaneously. It took about a week to recieve my temporary silver card though.

upgrades are mostly (and supposed to be) automatic, with silver clearing at 48hrs. a lot of times you will have to call in and have them manually upgrade you. if you dont get upgraded before hand, make sure to get waitlisted upon check in at the airport. be sure your dm# is entered on the itenerary.

all travel for the trial has to be on US operated flights. (at least thats what was in the rules when i did it last year).

also just of note, the trial is based off of segments or miles.
good luck!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: CO-P, HH-DIAMOND, *WOOD-PLAT
This should probably be moved to the US forum, and answers to these questions are likely already there...

That said, in the interest of time I will answer based on my experience with the trial last summer...

To enroll in the trial, call the DM Service Center 2-3 days prior to your first segment (waiting til the last day or day of is just asking for trouble). If all goes right, they will enroll you on the spot... then ask that your DM # be verified on your reservations, and for flights within the silver window (iirc 3 days?) ask to be upgraded or if not available, to be put on the list.

Trial credit only comes from flights on US metal... but keep in mind that you will only keep your status earned via trial through Feb 08 (not 09). You only get to keep the status you actually earn according to regular US tier quals through feb 09. However, all *A flights count towards that... so for the 90 trial days take as many flights as possible on US... then for the rest of the year, any *A metal will work.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:48 pm
Suspended

can someone explain to me what exaclty the us trial is? is this like the aa challenge?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
this should be moved - and is thoroughly discussed on the US board

here's one of the links for those that are interested:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ht=elite+trial
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
I'll go ahead and move this to US for better focus on the topic...

Dave, a.k.a. dmfriedman
Moderator, Mileage Run
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:51 pm

The above link has a post that states: "I signed up for this a few weeks back. I wasn't aware of this program until I called Dividend miles and ask them is there any way to get over the hump. I kept coming up a few miles short for silver. Anyway they told about this program and sent me a temporary silver card expires 2/07 but they told me if I fly the amount during the 90 days then I will be silver until 2/08."

I called for a friend who just missed silver for 2007. They said the program is called "Trial Elite," but since he is already silver, he had to wait until he moves down to base member before he could call in for the trial program. If anyone else has had luck enrolling while still an elite, please advise.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:29 pm

"The Silver Guest program grants you Silver Preferred status for 90 days. Within this time frame, you will have the opportunity to earn your Silver status or advance to Gold or Platinum. It's easy!

*Fly 6 segments or 6,000 miles and earn Silver Preferred status
*Fly 14 segments or 11,500 miles and advance to Gold Preferred status
*Fly 22 segments or 18,000 miles and advance to Platinum Preferred status

To register for this trial Elite program, please contact the Dividend Miles Service Center. Once registered, you will receive your Silver Preferred card and program details within 2-3 weeks.

Thank you for your continuing support of the Dividend Miles program! We look forward to serving you on future US Airways flights. "
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The question of the elite trial comes up fairly often...maybe worth a sticky?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:43 am

Do you have to have received an invitation and have been close to qualifying for silver in order to enroll in the challenge? Can a general no-status DM member who has almost no miles in 2006 and none yet in 2007 call up and enroll?
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Any NON-ELITE can sign up... a Silver can NOT sign up to go GOLD or PLATINUM. So you need to be not elite..... So yes, it is 90days to get the required flights.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
Any NON-ELITE can sign up... a Silver can NOT sign up to go GOLD or PLATINUM. So you need to be not elite..... So yes, it is 90days to get the required flights.
Not sure if things have changed, but 3 or 4 years ago, I was a silver and called to see if there was a challenge to move up a tier. Basically, the challenge for me was to fly 6000 miles and I would be bumped up to Gold. I already had a flight from PHL>LGW, so I made gold. The next year, I did 80K BIS miles.

So, at least a few years ago, they did allow preferred members to do a challenge. Not sure if they still do it or not.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I presume it's not retroactive -- I had my first r/t for 2007 on US last week. This week it's on B6, so I guess I'll have time.

All my flights are on RJs so I'm not worried about the upgrades. Could use the bonus miles, though.

Guess I'll give them a call.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:05 pm

I should have known this before: I travelled in coach three transatlantic roundtrips before I got my Silver status a couple of years ago.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by CarpeDiemPHX

Trial credit only comes from flights on US metal... but keep in mind that you will only keep your status earned via trial through Feb 08 (not 09). You only get to keep the status you actually earn according to regular US tier .
Is an HP flight considered US metal?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.