Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Fare Classes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: UA MP( 1k; 1MM); Hyatt Globalist
Thanks Superguy,
We are a party of 4. I did think about going the route of trial membership.
Then 2 of us would buy silver trial for $200 x 2 and hopefully get upgraded not only on outbound Y fare, but return K fare (which would be gravy).
The downside is not being able to earn EQM in United account as it says:

•If you've received a Preferred upgrade, you cannot replace your Dividend Miles account number with another program’s account number unless you choose to be downgraded to Coach

I really need the miles to requalify for UA gold. The only Question I have left is If I did the mile upgrade (15,000 and no coppay one way), would I be able to still get United miles?
thanks

Originally Posted by Superguy
No upgrades on Y/B without elite status.

Now, depending on how many US miles you'd fly in the next 90 days, you could buy a trial preferred membership for $200 and get instant silver, which would make you eligible for a Y/B instant upgrade. You'd have to fly 7500 miles in 90 days to maintain silver (you can get higher if you're willing to fly more), and it would give you status in OW once the move's complete.

I'm not sure how many are traveling in your party, so if you have more than 2 people (you and a companion), you may want to check first if all of you could get a Y/B upgrade if there's only one elite on the PNR.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: None
To/from SJU there's a very good chance elite status would get you an upgrade. So the big question is whether it's worth $400 total. There's also a chance you could get a GoFC upgrade but I have no idea what the price per person would be or the odds of all 4 of you getting one.

FYI on getting a US elite and later changing FF numbers, it's my understanding that the computer is supposed to prevent that - if a change in FF number is entered it checks to see if a free upgrade was given and if so takes it away and assigns coach seats. It's also my understanding that agents can bypass that protection if they want to so being successful would depend on the agent.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Nov 20, 2013 at 10:28 am
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by HJsimpson
Thanks Superguy,
We are a party of 4. I did think about going the route of trial membership.
Then 2 of us would buy silver trial for $200 x 2 and hopefully get upgraded not only on outbound Y fare, but return K fare (which would be gravy).
The downside is not being able to earn EQM in United account as it says:

•If you've received a Preferred upgrade, you cannot replace your Dividend Miles account number with another program’s account number unless you choose to be downgraded to Coach

I really need the miles to requalify for UA gold. The only Question I have left is If I did the mile upgrade (15,000 and no coppay one way), would I be able to still get United miles?
thanks
Should be able to.

I know I've done the reverse. I've used UA miles for an upgrade on a TPAC and then put my DM number in with no problems. Your using a miles upgrade, not a preferred upgrade, so it should still earn UA miles.

I'd hang on to your original BPs just in case so you can show UA your original fare class if it US sends it over as an O or P fare.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by HJsimpson
I really need the miles to requalify for UA gold.
You need the miles on UA, but one of the others in your party of 4 could be the one that grants you the upgrade.

Mrs AT is occasionally on the same PNR as me, she gets a companion upgrade and she credits to UA.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone know about a Z Class fare?

Tried to book an economy class fare to India and got what my agent said was a y up to buisiness class. Itinerary shows Z though. Hopefully this is exotic enough to get by any corporate reviewers.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dubstyle311

Tried to book an economy class fare to India and got what my agent said was a y up to buisiness class. Itinerary shows Z though. Hopefully this is exotic enough to get by any corporate reviewers.
Do you know the fare basis is? No way to tell by booking calss what type of fare it was. It sounds more like discount business than Y-up.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite

http://cwsi.net/usair.htm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shawn67
That list is somewhat outdated. I book N tickets a lot for work - they're not award tix.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CDKing
Do you know the fare basis is? No way to tell by booking calss what type of fare it was. It sounds more like discount business than Y-up.
Yeah - thats what i was seeing too.

Where can i find the fare basis?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah - thats what i was seeing too.

Where can i find the fare basis?
After you select your flights and go onto the next screen, it'll have the itinerary at the top. If you expand each way, it'll show the fare bucket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.