Wiki Posts
Search

Kiosk requires multiple lookup criteria

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: US GP, HH Diamond
Kiosk requires multiple lookup criteria

The last 4 flights on US, I've gone the kiosk at the airport to print my boarding pass, and the machine requires multiple criteria to find me. First, I insert my credit card (which always worked in the past), and I get a screen saying it needs more info. So, I elect to input my DM number, and get the same screen again asking for more info. Now I have a choice between PNR, ticket #, or flight number. So, I input flight number...and FINALLY it finds me. What's going on? The only thing I'm doing different lately is using OLCI from the office, but then waiting until I get to the kiosk to actually print my boarding pass. Is that the cause?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Kiosks have been really picky with me lately. The past few weeks the only way I've been able to retrieve my itinerary is to actually type in my last name. My DM card and my CC don't return anything.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:51 pm

Record locator usually does it for me with the US East kiosks.

Swipe DM Card/Type in DM# for US West kiosks does it.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: US Gold, HH gold
I had problems in DCA last week with the kiosk not reading my CC. I typed in my last name and div #, then it needed a flight number which of course I didn't know. I had to go to the check in line and wait another 15 minutes to get a boarding pass, it was really annoying.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
In my opinion this is one area where west (old HP) is far superior. I think the user interface is much more intuitive. Your DM number is all you need to remember -- no record locator, no flight number. There are also fewer screens from beginning to end. It's one thing the IT folks did well.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by tmann0619
The last 4 flights on US, I've gone the kiosk at the airport to print my boarding pass, and the machine requires multiple criteria to find me. First, I insert my credit card (which always worked in the past), and I get a screen saying it needs more info. So, I elect to input my DM number, and get the same screen again asking for more info. Now I have a choice between PNR, ticket #, or flight number. So, I input flight number...and FINALLY it finds me. What's going on?
Maybe it's not just the kiosks that are confused - maybe it's the reservation computers? I've had similar experiences with kiosks, and not just US kiosks. To make a bizarre story even more bizarre, my wife (on HP ticket stock + flight numbers) and I (on US ticket stock + flight numbers -- note we are on identical flights, but separate PNRs), when we recently "won" a schedule change and I called US to fix the tickets, the agent at US East could see me, but referred me to US West because she couldn't fix both reservations (all hunky-dory so far). So - call US West, and then find out that the agent there, not only can't see my reservation, can't even see that I exist on the flight, only that there's a body occupying the seat I am assigned (checked by PNR, name, flight #, date etc) -- so getting seats together and ensuring we're on the same flight was pretty much impossible. I had to tell him my flight #'s and seat assignments one-by-one and he assigned my wife the seat next to me.

Of course, in the meantime, there's been yet another schedule change (making for an astounding 7-segment 17-hour transcontinental journey to come home from Albuquerque) and now I have to call back, yet again, twice, to fix the problem. Sigh. Merge the freaking computer systems!!!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:01 pm

7 segment 17 hour journey - now that is a mileage run ;-)
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by Zaynab
7 segment 17 hour journey - now that is a mileage run ;-)
Indeed!

Though 1) billywife123 deplores my mileage runs, and I certainly can't wait to see how happy she is after 17 hours including redeyes... and 2) it could have been 9 segments were it not for an illegal connection or two that had to be corrected!

Head start on *A gold this coming year, I suppose.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:01 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Interesting posts....so it is just not me that this is happening to. Out of the clear blue about 2 months ago, I received a new CP card. (Even though the old one was not going to expire until 2/07....and at the time, I had not qualified for CP next year).
Anyway, I threw out the old card....and I have been unable to use the new card since then. The kiosks refuse to recognize the card...and insist that I am inserting it incorrectly.
Until this week, I just put in a credit card and I was ok. At PHL on Wednesday, the credit card wasn't recognized...and I had to speak with a counter agent.
Of course yesterday morning at ORD...the CP card once again didn't work.
I'll call the Service Center to request a new card....however I expect the response to be "your new CP card is already being processed".
Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Jhoc
I had problems in DCA last week with the kiosk not reading my CC. I typed in my last name and div #, then it needed a flight number which of course I didn't know. I had to go to the check in line and wait another 15 minutes to get a boarding pass, it was really annoying.
I've done the same exact thing. I wish there were flight monitors on the walls behind the check in counter at DCA.

With United, I put my star alliance gold card into the kiosk and it doesn't seem to work.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:14 am

Happened to me yesterday, as it usually does. I put my DM card in, it wanted more. So I typed in the flight # and it found it.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:18 am
KDT

The last 2 times I tried to use the kiosk after doing OLCI at the office:

Swipe DM card - Not enough, it wants more info.

Enter record locator - Machine comes up with another person's info. Same first flight, different connection.

Start over in case I got record locator wrong. Manually enter my name - Machine comes up with a different person that isn't me.

Tell person tagging bags - He shrugs.

Go stand in line. Tell agent about machine - Another shrug.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:40 am

My experience hasn't changed recently -- but has always been that if I've done OLCI then the "regular" method of swiping the DM card doesn't work.

If I use OLCI, but then need to get a boarding pass at the kiosk, I don't swipe any card, but start out using the "type information" option - and type my name and flight number.

On my last flight the kiosk was even smart enough to know that my connection was cancelled and it offered me a different routing automatically....i was relatively impressed!
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:22 pm

Oddly enough, the other day I used one of the kiosks and got someone else's reservation. Walked up, swiped credit card, no more info required and the res for some guy with the same last name as me pops up. Strange, but I cancelled it and just did it all manually, entering my name and DM #.

But if i'd wanted to I could have moved his seat to the back row of the plane...
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:04 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Absent the flight number, I've never been able to make the East kiosks work with simply a credit or DM card. Ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.