Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost by Joe Brancatelli

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2006, 2:34 pm

Thank you AZ for explaining the action I took. You stated the facts very well.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:19 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Furthermore, he has this listed under "Paid members only". I followed the link and received the "sign up now!" page.

Sorry, but IMHO his stuff is not worth paying for. I received it complimentary for a couple of years, and though interesting, I didn't receive any value worth paying for.

YMMV though. I get all the discounts I need through my employer, even private travel. News and insights come from so many free sources, I can't see paying for it, especially when I always first learned about whatever the news was elsewhere.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; US 50K
I thought this was an important article for all to see.

Q: Is it possible to allow Joe to have the full story reprinted followed by a one or two sentence promotion by Joe for his web site?

For example, we'd have the article in its entirety, and then Joe could add "For this and other articles please see...." etc. etc. I know this is probably against TOC, but...
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by DC-USCP-UAPE
I thought this was an important article for all to see.

Q: Is it possible to allow Joe to have the full story reprinted followed by a one or two sentence promotion by Joe for his web site?

For example, we'd have the article in its entirety, and then Joe could add "For this and other articles please see...." etc. etc. I know this is probably against TOC, but...
you'd still have to ask him for the permission. just doing it would still not be fair use.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:01 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by warbo
I'm equally disturbed high revenue flyers leaving US. Something needs to be done about that, pronto. However, statistics show that fares have been significantly reduced in most of the 'New US Airways' markets since the merger. That needs to be taken into account also, when criticising.
Quote the statistics. Not a US press release. "Statistics" have shown no such things.

Their PRASM has gone up. That is not indicative of falling fares. PRASM data can be found in the SEC filings.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JetAway
Actually, the comparison is insulting to Costco, which provides excellent customer service, great products and great value.
Agreed. Costco actually provides premium products at very low prices -- they essentially require their suppliers to enable them to sell at the best price point for the quality of product they are selling. they have happy employees (mostly) whom they don't underpay. They have generated incredible customer loyalty and have a great business strategy -- Wal-Mart is having trouble in part because they are trying to imitate Costco. Their promise to the customer is that "you don't have to comparison shop. If we have it, it is priced well. And, we try to ensure that it is a good product." [They do sell high fat foods, but and lots of junky toys, but people want these]. I have noticed that over the years, they have gotten an increasing share of my wallet.

US is so far from the Costco of airlines that the analogy is not only an insult to Costco but shows how incompetent US management must be.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:58 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by enviroian
All that being said about folks moving, does anyone know what airline would comp me to their highest tier immediately? Any of them? Please don't tell me the only airline that would is Spirit
NOPE, UA will match CP's to UA 1Ks... look up the thread in this forum!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:31 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
I have resisted posting on this thread, beyond what I already have, so that it doesn't disolve into a diatribe on policing, censoring, first amendment, etc. That said, it's a public forum. Following the deletion of the article, the link then went to a solicitation for subscribers to Brancatelli's webletter. I should think that (by the way, Brancatelli didn't do it) constitutes an ad, which I believe is also a no-no on FT. No regular (past or present) high volume user of USAirways needs to read it, anyway. They experience exactly what the guy in the article did. America West has created a better model, by combining route systems that complemented each other, at a time when capacity and pricing discipline has returned to commercial aviation. Historically, that doesn't last, especially in businesses where there are no barriers to entry. Instead of recognizing, and being grateful for getting lucky, the relatively youthful management team in Tempe has chosen to interpret events as being the result of their superior talent. That's the kind of arrogance that produces poor treatment of long term customers, while failing to correct endemic problems like Philly, and fielding a domestic and international premium cabin product that is an embarassment. Why would someone who thinks serving potato chips at 6 AM, be expected to have any understanding of building a better product, long term? Likewise, our "moderators" (who generally do a good job...these threads remain quite civil) should be mindful that once you start playing policeman, you begin a process that let's the genie out of the bottle. Such ad hoc decisions on deletions can open a can of worms, wherein we start knocking out anything somebody doesn't like. The response will be that I am taking it to a level of absurdity, but the larger question is still, once it starts, where does it end?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:11 am

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
Folks,

I have a solution to offer. The change was not intended to be an ad for Joe, the story was removed in respect to an agreement he has with a major newspaper.

Anyone who wants to read the article in its entirety free of charge can email Joe at [email protected] and he will get you access to the story.

I hope that is an acceptable arrangement for those who want to read it.

Thank you for your understanding.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
As the OP, allow me to explain what has happened here.

I copied and pasted the article in it’s entirety from another web site. I did not know at the time that the article was copyrighted. I learned that Joe did not want the article posted in its entirety here and edited the post as much as I felt it could and still make some sense given the thread was the several post long. I was still in violation of the TOS of this web site and the copyright of the article. The article has been deleted in its entirety from the other web site.

The post was edited to bring it into the bounds of the TOS of this web site. I have no issue with the fact that this was done and in fact, I am in agreement with that decision. The article was copyrighted and Joe has every right to expect that be upheld, regardless of friendships, etc. He makes his living as a writer/reporter and we should respect that fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.