Can I redeem DM miles for a ticket on Air Canada?

Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Can I redeem DM miles for a ticket on Air Canada?

Air Canada is a Star Alliance partner with US Airways.

Air Canada is also a code share partner with United.

Can someone tell me if it's possible to use DM miles for a reward ticket on Air Canada? If so, how do I go about doing it?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:21 pm

You can certainly redeem DM for flights on AC, and all other Star Alliance partners. To do so, simply call your reservations number and follow the prompts for international or domestic (including Canada) award travel.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:22 pm

I've done this for UA flights. You just need to call the service center (or your preferred line) and tell the agent that you'd like to cash in your miles for a ticket on AC. In my case, I said I wanted to fly on UA, the agent typed away for a bit, and then confirmed the flights with me. She seemed a little put off at first that I was requesting another airline, but got me what I wanted.

I'd imagine things would work the same for a flight on AC. Let us know how it turns out...
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've called in the past weeks for a PHL-LIM trip in business and have found very good availability.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Today I tried several times to obtain a reward ticket on Air Canada using my DM miles.

Each time I was basically told that I can only redeem them on United flights.

If I'm supposed to be able to book a ticket on AC using DM then no-one at US or DM knows it's possible or allowed.

Please tell me what phone number to call and how to navigate the "press this for that" tree to get to someone who can perform the ticket reservation.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:30 pm

I went to Halifax, N.S. a couple weeks ago from MCO. Call the DM # and got United on the way up and Air Canada back home. AC was very nice.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Joe Airman
Today I tried several times to obtain a reward ticket on Air Canada using my DM miles.

If I'm supposed to be able to book a ticket on AC using DM then no-one at US or DM knows it's possible or allowed.

Please tell me what phone number to call and how to navigate the "press this for that" tree to get to someone who can perform the ticket reservation.
If you have status, call your preferred number. Otherwise, call international reservations as they tend to have more experience dealing with AC then the domestic ones.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP

Make sure to tell the agent that you would like to redeem miles for a Star Alliance award ticket using AC.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
The people on the phone are poorly trained and across the Pacific. They are wrong - you can 100% redeem Dividend Miles for AC tickets regardless of what they say.

Unfortunately, if you're not preferred, you have to do the agent roulette. The second someone says "no Air Canada" hang up and call back. Eventually you may get a nice southern accent from a knowledgeable person in Winston-Salem.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:05 pm

back to this old topic..

I confirmed a DM award booking on AC.. got the booking reference. I gave in my credit card details. However, after almost a week, I still didn't get any ticket number nor any indication that my reservation has been ticketed. My credit card hasn't been charged. I called in couple times already, all the agents said it is fine.. just wait....

I start to worry a bit. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just note that date/time change is not allowed after departure.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:25 am

That's strange--last August, when I booked an AC flight to CDG using DM miles, I was told the opposite--nothing available on UA. At that time, AC flights were the only option for TA travel for June 07 and were freely available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.