Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US chops fares out of Greensboro

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 4:54 pm

Location: Greensboro, NC (US Air CP = Compassionate Proctology, Hilton Diamond)
FLY PTI, It's Your Airport Bubba

I am surprized that fares at GSO are not higher now with respect to RDU and CLT. With the reduction in banking (gone to CLT), reduced tobacco (gone to the lawyers), textile (gone to China), and furniture (gone to China) business fliers combined with a LCC leaving, one would think the flight costs would be jacked up. Perhaps they think the HOT, "heart of the triad," will begin beating and Colfax will become a major destination for the business person.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I wonder if this is really helping to fill up seats. US Airways Club agents at GSO told me that many of their flights are going out oversold, but this is probably due to the removal of mainline flights from the schedule. Theyre saying that they hope management sees flights are going out full...whether theyre making money or not is the question. They also said they havent heard anything about new PHX or LAS service since the station manager made a presentation to management about it...Oh well!

Noticed a few new agents in the club recently, so they must be hiring still, that's a good sign. Im sure theyre part time though.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 1:34 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
No chops yet to DCA. :-(
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by vatraveler
No chops yet to DCA. :-(
I don't keep up with GSO - DCA fares, and you may be right historically speaking, but the present fares certainly look reasonable @ $198 + roundtrip non-stop on RJ, with wide availability. If you're willing to change in CLT or PHL for BWI and proceed by ground transportation to DC, the price is even better at $158 + roundtrip.

Compare this with present AVL - CLT- DCA cheapest fare @ $318 +, or worse, a 92-mile ride AVL - CLT for $443 +, and you can see why I consider you lucky leaving from GSO!
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold
They are also making upgrades at GSO to the US Air jetways. Modifying them to accomodate RJ's - no more hiking across the tarmac!
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:55 am

Programs: DL UA
Originally Posted by jdvoigt
They are also making upgrades at GSO to the US Air jetways. Modifying them to accomodate RJ's - no more hiking across the tarmac!

Good to know, I hate the schlepp across the tarmac with the luggage up and down stairs
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I read a thread on USAviation awhile back that suggested that earlier this year there were plans to really ramp up operations again at GSO if the fares did well possibly adding more capacity to the schedule. What ever happened to that plan...anyone know?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:56 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What ever happened to that plan...anyone know?
Still nothing but RJ/Dash service, but I don't know about frequencies....

Jim
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
GSO-CLT: 7x
4x CR9
1x ERJ
1x CRJ
1x CR7

GSO-PHL: 7x
4x CRJ
2x ERJ
1x DH8

GSO-LGA: 5x
5x ERJ

GSO-DCA: 3x
2x DH8
1x CRJ

I don't know that there's really any need to increase frequency... 7x to each of the hubs is substantial. Upgauges would be nice, though...
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:38 pm

Programs: None
I was really talking about whether frequency increased any after the fare "reductions" early this year, though I made that clear as mud. Since I only fly from GSO infrequently (always drove to CLT when going to work), I have no idea whether frequency has remained the same or increased.

Jim
Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Looks like it's been a slight decrease in capacity, at least since May. I seem to remember CLT-GSO being 3x CR9, 3x CR7 and 1x 50-seat RJ (forget ERJ or CRJ), with 7x 50 seat RJ to PHL, 5x ERJ to LGA and 3x 50-seater RJ to DCA - looks like there's been some cuts to a few Dashes.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 5:14 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not too long ago, there were 5 or so daily to DCA, none DH-8. Must be due to low demand because of high fares. :-(
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Not too long ago, there were 5 or so daily to DCA, none DH-8. Must be due to low demand because of high fares. :-(
Or it could be that those other two sets of scarce DCA slots were better-used to open up service from a new city to DCA. US seems to have settled on 3x daily for its DCA outstations.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:53 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
GSO-CLT: 7x

GSO-PHL: 7x

GSO-LGA: 5x

GSO-DCA: 3x
It wasn't that long ago most of this service was mainline (with DCA the exception as it was usually Express that I can remember with maybe early AM/late PM exceptions). Also service from GSO to places like BOS, BWI, PIT and even some N/S to TPA at one time IIRC.

GSO used to be a well served US market in the early-mid 90s. CO lite was based there, and made dirt-cheap WN like fares plentiful.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought there was an ERJ170 to Philadelphia each day too, did it get cut?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.