Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uniformed Military F Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, United Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Uniformed Military F Upgrade

I'm currently on a US flight from PNS-CLT in F and there are 2 empty F seats. I asked the F FA if they upgrade uniformed military members if they have open seats and she said no they don't. Is there a reason for this? It seems like it would be a good policy and recognition for their service. Anyone have any insight into why US wouldn't do that and let F go out with 2 empty seats?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:19 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

IMO, it would cause (dishonest) folks to put on a military-looking uniform on flight days just to score an upgrade. Kind of like the situation in this article/video: http://dailycaller.com/2014/11/30/ve...he-mall-video/

Also, where do you draw the line on who gets free upgrades? If military, why not police officers? Other law enforcement? Fire fighters? Paramedics? Other public servants?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While this used to be a common practice, it pretty clearly runs afoul of ethics guidelines to accept a personal benefit based solely on one's federal employment status.

At a more practical level, there are a lot of heroes out there who perform acts of public service every day. Some wear uniforms and some do not. All of them deserve recognition, so where is the line drawn here?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by PHLphan
I asked the F FA if they upgrade uniformed military members if they have open seats and she said no they don't.
Flight Attendants aren't supposed to upgrade anyone, that's the job of Gate Agents.

Who knows if there were preferred members in coach who didn't get upgraded, and if so, the order they should have? The flight attendants don't have any of that information.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PHLphan
Anyone have any insight into why US wouldn't do that and let F go out with 2 empty seats?
Possibly, no one paid for those seats?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When there are empty F seats, US offers them for sale at the gate to anybody willing to pay. Apparently nobody did want to pay, so they go out empty. Kind of bad for business if you offer someone an F seat for $99 and when he says no, you say, "OK -- it's yours freebie...."
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:04 pm

On an AA flight recently, I had witnessed a GA trying to upgrade a uniformed military person (an officer, in fact, based on his insignia). However, he (the officer) refused to get upgraded and firmly insisted that he sit in a coach seat where he was ticketed. He said something in effect of setting an example for the enlisted men and women. ^ I still regret not going over and really thanking him for his service.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think YMMV on this. While traveling on Veteran's day, I saw two military individuals get moved to first class after the plane had completed boarding. The FA specifically addressed the "two men in military uniform to come to first class." Granted this was a short SDF-CLT regional flight. As a military contractor, I was pretty pleased.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
I’m still stuck on the US flight with “empty F seats” part of the post.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: ABBA
Do firefighters not deserve such recognition?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
On a practical level, who do you choose to upgrade if there are more than two military on the flight? (which I bet would be common at PNS)
Originally Posted by fordan
I’m still stuck on the US flight with “empty F seats” part of the post.

Last edited by Lost; Dec 19, 2014 at 11:04 am
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Originally Posted by US Air Force
Air Force personnel may not upgrade their travel or accept complimentary reseating to business or first class while wearing their military uniform to avoid the public perception of misuse of government travel resources.

I thought the rule was that you are not supposed to ride on the first class while in uniforms?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.