Search

"Complimentary upgrades not offered" on CRJ-900 - Seat map shows F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Complimentary upgrades not offered

Hopefully some can answer this...

I am flying RT from PHX to LGB next Friday 11/28 and return the same day - Meeting a friend for lunch.

Yesterday (8 days out) thinking this was odd, I received an e-mail stating: Complimentary upgrades not available for my two flights. However, these are on CRJ900 AC - I called to confirm with the CP Desk that there was not an AC change and they said no, they still have FC. Today (7 days) no e-mail saying yes or no to the upgrades...

Long story short - The agent said they are going through a system wide update/upgrade and she "thought" these were getting switched over to AA.

So... If that happens and I bought them with US on US flights, would I or would I not get the complimentary upgrade? Just wanted to see if someone might know or had the same experience.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I think it would be quite odd for them to switch PHX-LGB flights from US to AA.

I checked EF and it shows the flights are US/Mesa.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
There have been other instances of people getting those emails 8 days out, apparently some kind of glitch.

Aside from that, it has been increasingly common for US to hold upgrades until T-4, even on light load flights that should have no shortage of seats (for example I am on a flight this evening that was still F9 when I checked in yet I didn't get upgraded until T-4).
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Funny. I was coming here to post the exact same question in a similar circumstance. CP and got the email which contained the exact text "complimentary upgrades not offered" on my return flight. Seats are available for sale, and first is in fact wide open. I am suspicious. My return is next Saturday so 6 calendar days out and the day before a real heavy travel day.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:35 am
Original Poster

It has to be a glitch - I called the CP desk again last night after writing this post, spoke to someone different and they were able to put me in FC manually only on my return flight... I received the same FC status e-mail this morning stating "Complimentary upgrades not available", but it does show I am in FC. Very odd glitch!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Keep in mind that there are still some Mesa CRJ 900s out there that still have no first class on them. So while the seat map may show first class, its possible that there is no first class inventory loaded as a aircraft swap is expected. That may also be a factor with getting the no upgrades offered email.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I called the CP line to ask about this. The agent said that I would not be upgraded b/c I have three people on my itinerary (me @ CP, wife @ gold, daughter @ silver). Then she said that was odd b/c all of us had been upgraded on the outbound. She went to a supe and came back and said it must be b/c there are three on the itin even though she couldn't understand why it went through on the outbound.

Perhaps they are closing that loophole whereby your co-itin's inherited your status if they had status.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

The questions / concerns I brought up were the fact of getting a notice of no upgrades 8 days out and nothing on the normal 7 days, but then again on 6 days? And the fact that I brought up the CP agent stating it may be due to the upgrade of their computer system / moving the flights to AA AC.

My post had nothing to do with upgrading with others on PNR

I was merely asking is anyone else was seeing the same thing.

Last edited by aztimm; Nov 23, 2014 at 8:46 am Reason: discussing moderator actions
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:32 am

"Complimentary upgrades not offered" on CRJ-900 - Seat map shows F

Hi - on my upgrade emails the past few days for this PHX-LGB flight it says "Complimentary upgrades not offered" despite the seat map showing an F section with 5 seats open. This is different than the normal message when US is just not releasing open seats.

Any thoughts? Not a huge deal on a 1 hour flight but would be nice when that's the only upgrade it appears I could get on this 4 segment trip.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I merged in some discussion about this topic from a few weeks ago.

This actually happened to me for flights last week, PHX-SAT/SAT-PHX on a CRJ-900. I called in at my window, and the agent told me that because there's different versions of the aircraft, they weren't doing the auto-upgrade (but it sounded like she would have let me use miles + $$$).

In the end, when I did OLCI I was able to select F, for both legs.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Glitch in the auto upgrade system. Happened to me several times, and when I called the Gold desk at my window the agent put me in F with no hassle.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
This happened to me multiple times this year flying PHX-BUR via Mesa CJ-900. Basically the reason is that they evidently were not sure if the actual A/C flying that route on that day had an FC cabin or not. A few times I actually had an FC upgrade clear only to find no such cabin existed on the day of my flight which put me in the same row and seat but in a coach layout and a couple of times I never had the upgrade clear in advance but cleared day of departure when the aircraft servicing the route ended up having a FC cabin.

A lot of Mesa C-900 are getting new AA paint right now which appears to be throwing a wrench in scheduling.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: WFBF
So that's what happened to me last Monday

Was on what looked like an all-US-metal itinerary, SAT-PHX-PDX, and upgrade for PHX-PDX cleared normally but SAT-PHX was a CR9 and had the "upgrades not offered" text.

During OLCI I was offered the ability to choose a seat in F for $0, did so, and when I got to the airport discovered the CR9 was in new-AA livery with an AA interior. Wonder if this is re-jiggering of the schedules + fallout from the Envoy downsize?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: National ES
I flew into and out of El Paso from Phoenix last week and I was not auto upgraded at the window either but did sit in F on both flights.

PHX - ELP Mesa Operated (US Marketed) Upgrade offered at online check-in

ELP - PHX Mesa Operated (AA Marketed) Upgrade not offered at online check-in so I asked the AA desk agent in ELP and she processed it for me and was surprised I wasn't charged a fee, even though I am CP.

On another note, I overheard the MESA flight attendants complaining that they sometimes fly in as a US Airways marketed flight and turn out as an American Airlines marketed flight and that there are differences in service and announcements even though fell they should be the same.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:32 pm

I tried calling and agent claimed both of my legs were sold out in coach and first and it was a glitch in the system. Considering US website shows PHX-LGB as wide open on the seat map and would let me purchase seats in F I highly doubt she's right but not worth fighting over when all 9 seats show as open and I'm sure I can get one during OLCI tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.