Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred seats for OW Sapphire?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Preferred seats for OW Sapphire?

Is it complementary? According to OW policy, we get "Preferred seating (where offered)".

My AB (Gold) # is on the reservation, but preferred seats are not showing (I do see them on a dummy booking, so they are available). Status is new but AA.com already recognizes it.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
OW ruby, sapphire and emerald are supposed to have "access to preferred or pre-reserved seating" on AA according to AA's benefits chart here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...r-benefits.jsp.

Since anyone can access those seats at extra cost already, I presume the complimentary to be implied. It was for my US DM Gold preferred on my recent trips, though that may not be a valid comparison to AB sapphire, given the merger. A call to AA may be in order to verify.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Circuits
OW ruby, sapphire and emerald are supposed to have "access to preferred or pre-reserved seating" on AA according to AA's benefits chart here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...r-benefits.jsp.
That's AA though (and yes it works like a charm). This is for US Airways. They are still operating as separate airlines.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Silver
Originally Posted by italdesign
That's AA though (and yes it works like a charm). This is for US Airways. They are still operating as separate airlines.
Your reference to AA.com threw me off...

Since the airlines are still run on separate systems, AA.com recognizing your OW sapphire is no guarantee that the US website will, too. In my experience, it can take over a week for status changes on one site to be updated on the other.

So you *should* be able to select complimentary preferred seats on US, but if you can't, the US website must not yet be recognizing your new status.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Here’s the generic warning US elites usually end up giving when talking about seats: there are preferred seats which should be available to elites and then there are “choice” seats that everyone, even Chairman’s Preferred (US’ Emerald level elite) pay for. No actual difference in seat pitch or comfort, just location in the cabin.

Also haven’t found any documentation that officially says US offers this benefit to OW elites in a quick search of the US website but pretty sure they do follow standard OW policy in allowing access to the seats.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fordan
Here’s the generic warning US elites usually end up giving when talking about seats: there are preferred seats which should be available to elites and then there are “choice” seats that everyone, even Chairman’s Preferred (US’ Emerald level elite) pay for. No actual difference in seat pitch or comfort, just location in the cabin.
Thanks, I had taken that into consideration am only talking about Preferred Seats, which there are a number of on the flight.

Any non-US, non-AA OW S able to select Preferred Seats online?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
Similar thing happened to me upon earning a new status tier. Saw the open seat on line, but was unable to select it at no charge. I phoned the airline who verified that they saw my accurate status tier, still the agent was unable to slip me into the seat. She placed me on hold to speak to tech support, and a few minutes later the glitch was corrected and I was able to obtain the seat selection I was aiming for. She couldn't quite explain it, but she did get it fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.