Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When pigs fly? Emotional support pig denied flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:59 am
HMO

Originally Posted by abaheti
This great New Yorker article details it pretty well.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...0/pets-allowed
This is the saddest part:
"Are you going to ruin it for all of us?” one of my dog-fancying friends asked, when I told her that I was writing this article.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: United, Delta, American
Is the tattoo on the back of the lady, a tattoo of the pig she is carrying? Thank goodness she wasn't carrying on an elephant.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Im putting my each and evry penny in my litle piggybank to save up for one,happy flying times lies ahead.

Im only wondering abouth whether buying first class tickets would be thowing pearls for swine.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
The phrase 'Only in America' comes to mind.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Wonder if the pig in the New Yorker article at Logan is the same one in Hartford. Or ... are there multiple flying emotional support pigs in New England. It's a shame that the federal agencies have decided the rights of those with animals trump the rights of other passengers.

And ... IMHO, there are more emotional support animals in F than in Y.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by justhere
From the article the OP linked:

She said both the pig and its owner left the aircraft before it took off.

Glad the spokeswoman clarified when they left the aircraft because I was wondering how the pig pulls the ripcord.
Aren't these Emotional Support animals trained ?

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Wonder if the pig in the New Yorker article at Logan is the same one in Hartford. Or ... are there multiple flying emotional support pigs in New England. It's a shame that the federal agencies have decided the rights of those with animals trump the rights of other passengers.

And ... IMHO, there are more emotional support animals in F than in Y.
Proving those on a higher rung of the economic ladder need more emotional support ?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I'm Canadian, and I bring my pig on board every time I fly to the US...

Partly for emotional support, but mostly because Americans don't know how to slice bacon right.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bkafrick
This emotional support animal nonsense has to stop.

Why is this the one topic that no airline wants to touch. I would think together airlines could affect change in the ACAA?
YES!! I am so da*n tired of this "emotional support" BS. It's nothing more than that - just BS. ADA service animals are something different, but emotional support animals have got to go. The airlines really need to grow a pair and put and end to this.

Think about this: If someone is too "emotionally unstable" to be without their animal for a few hours on a flight, do you really want that person on a flight?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Quote:

Originally Posted by bkafrick

This emotional support animal nonsense has to stop.

Why is this the one topic that no airline wants to touch. I would think together airlines could affect change in the ACAA?

YES!! I am so da*n tired of this "emotional support" BS. It's nothing more than that - just BS. ADA service animals are something different, but emotional support animals have got to go. The airlines really need to grow a pair and put and end to this.

Think about this: If someone is too "emotionally unstable" to be without their animal for a few hours on a flight, do you really want that person on a flight?
No
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Hahahahaha.... My wife worked at US Airways when the 2000 incident happened. She remembered seeing David Castelveter during that incident and folks around the Crystal Palace were not pleased by the press coverage...
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
So does this mean I'll run into problems with my emotional support Kodiak brown bear?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
what really saddens me is the small number of patients I work with who utilize hearing dogs and they are true service dogs and come in all breeds. I agree, this is going to ruin this for the people who legitimately need them.
why cant anyone go after these agencies who give you fake credentials?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:07 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
So does this mean I'll run into problems with my emotional support Kodiak brown bear?
Are you travelling with Wojtek?

And you will probably get some perks and advantages flying with an war veteran!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nlkm9
what really saddens me is the small number of patients I work with who utilize hearing dogs and they are true service dogs and come in all breeds. I agree, this is going to ruin this for the people who legitimately need them.
why cant anyone go after these agencies who give you fake credentials?
Agreed! I admit, I am not an animal/pet person, but true service animals are different. (They are also well trained and well mannered.) I can even see how in some cases a service animal could be for emotional support, but it has now become a way for people to scam their pets into restaurants, planes, stores, etc . It does a true disservice to the individuals who really utilize service animals.

That New Yorker article does a good job of explaining the loopholes and the scam.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by abaheti
Agreed! I admit, I am not an animal/pet person, but true service animals are different. (They are also well trained and well mannered.) I can even see how in some cases a service animal could be for emotional support, but it has now become a way for people to scam their pets into restaurants, planes, stores, etc . It does a true disservice to the individuals who really utilize service animals.

That New Yorker article does a good job of explaining the loopholes and the scam.
was that article posted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.