Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth getting to DM Platinum with Merger in 2015 ? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: US Chairman, OW Emerald
You do not actually buy segments or miles, but the status level itself.

Originally Posted by bucs0721
I'm at 90 USAir segments with 6 more booked. So it looks like I'll need 4 USAir segments to hit 100 by the end of 2014. Based on the AA website, the EXP threshold is going to be 100 which would cost me $1,199 since I have 0 AA segments.

Has anyone heard if the USAir Buy-up program will be available before the end of the year (or is there a date they will announce if it will/won't be available)? It will be interesting to see if that program will be offered. If so (and it remains like it was in the past) 4 segments could be purchased at a reasonable price regardless of which threshold it pushed you up to.

I'm not going to spend $1199 as I can get a 4 segment flight for 1/3 of that price but I'm curious to see a USAir offer to purchase segments.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:55 am

I tried raising this issue with US and was told "you will still be Platinum at the new AA" which of course is a bunch of nonsense. The bottom line is after 50k miles you should not fly for status unless you are going to hit 100k. I already switched the rest of my business this year to other airlines.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by DCAAA
I tried raising this issue with US and was told "you will still be Platinum at the new AA" which of course is a bunch of nonsense. The bottom line is after 50k miles you should not fly for status unless you are going to hit 100k. I already switched the rest of my business this year to other airlines.
That's the rub of it although all that will get you on UA and DL (assuming spend) is Silver which "really ain't" all that great these days.

safe travels
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Was just typing something on another thread which made me think of one potential benefit -- if you want to do a status match with Alaska, you might get a higher level as a US platinum than as a US gold. Not for certain though.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
is it worth it to try for platinum?

I need 12 more segments (i only fly short flights) to reach platinum and I may be a few short. With all the changes coming, and the fact that there really doesnt seem to be much for the gold-plat flyer when AA is completely merged, just curious of opinions if its even worth it to try.
Im sort of "meh" about it.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by nlkm9
I need 12 more segments (i only fly short flights) to reach platinum and I may be a few short. ....
If you're going for Plat at 90 segments, why not 10 more for CP status at 100 segments ... (they've reduced CP segment requirement for 2014)

Even with Plat, you preserve your option to Buy Up to CP once they announce the details ...

I would add more CLT-GSO/GSP segments if I were in your shoes
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:02 pm

yeah, good point...I only have a few trips left (driving this week) so I just dont know if I can swing it timewise--but yes, you make an excellent point!!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
Either push for Chairman or stay at Gold, plAtinum pretty much goes away next year and falls back to Gold.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by PSUPaul
Either push for Chairman or stay at Gold, plAtinum pretty much goes away next year and falls back to Gold.

thank you Paul. I appreciate your opinion.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
You are welcome.

Originally Posted by nlkm9
thank you Paul. I appreciate your opinion.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Will it even be four months of Plat? The new year for US essentially begins on March 1. US hasn't even announced if they will offer Plat status in what is effectively a "gap period" of unknown length.
AA said the new program will take effect in the 2nd quarter, iirc. So March 1 to (between April 1 and June 30) is where I got 1 to 4 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.