Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US elites should avoid AA metal IMHO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
Biggest difference: AA elites can be added to a waitlist on US. It doesn't work the other way.
And what exactly does being added to the waitlist get you? The only time I've scored an upgrade on US is by hitting the site after checkin and grabbing a seat. All those people on the waitlist ahead of me? Screwed. Because I was faster on the button.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
So far this year I've been on 123 segments on AA and I've never had an upgrade. I've asked at the desk and received responses varying between "they're working on it" to "we don't do that for you people" to "why are you wasting my time" (all actual quotes from gate agents).

Not that it's much consolation, but I will give them credit for allowing me access to MCE and not charging me for the rare occasion I check a bag.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
MCE
Power plugs (on the 321s and 738s).

Pretty easy call for me these days - unless I am on a route where I have a very reasonable expectation of an upgrade (which excludes most transcons)...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VikingEric13
So far this year I've been on 123 segments on AA and I've never had an upgrade. I've asked at the desk and received responses varying between "they're working on it" to "we don't do that for you people" to "why are you wasting my time" (all actual quotes from gate agents).

Not that it's much consolation, but I will give them credit for allowing me access to MCE and not charging me for the rare occasion I check a bag.
I have been on several US segments this year. One upgrade. There are already enough US passangers ahead of my AA status to pics before me. Once everything is merged, then I can decide if it got better or worse. The existing US route has an existing amount of US status members. An AA route had an existing amount of AA status members. Current system makes it unlikely that number lowers and I move higher on the list. As AA Gold, the new system will create more Combined Platinums on either metal. I expect to get a few less for a while until everything settles or I move up in status.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FLgrr
I have been on several US segments this year. One upgrade. There are already enough US passangers ahead of my AA status to pics before me. Once everything is merged, then I can decide if it got better or worse. The existing US route has an existing amount of US status members. An AA route had an existing amount of AA status members. Current system makes it unlikely that number lowers and I move higher on the list. As AA Gold, the new system will create more Combined Platinums on either metal. I expect to get a few less for a while until everything settles or I move up in status.
That's fine and I get that for now each airline has to take care of its own elites. My biggest issues are A) when F flies with open seats and I'm told that I'm ineligible for an upgrade and B) the attitude I've experienced from gate agents when I ask - seems like to them a US CP is worth less than an AA GLD.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where are all these flights with open F seats and how come I am never on them.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Where are all these flights with open F seats and how come I am never on them.
You must not be flying Gary Leff's flights

He was positively gloating about the empty seats on his flight the other day. I saw them when I was flying on American (in the back) as well.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I just did a mileage run on AA (one segment on JL, last segment on US), and I have to say it was extremely nice.

No I didn't get an upgrade domestically, but I did get a seat with a blocked middle seat (there's literally a plastic thing there so no one can sit there). I hope that doesn't go away. There was power (with standard US plug) at 2 of the 3 seats.

On the AA 777, I had a bulkhead seat with pretty much unlimited legroom--that I was able to reserved when I booked (no having to wait until 24 hours or other silliness). There was power (a car charger-type thing), and I bought an adapter ahead of time so was able to power my computer ($20 on Amazon).

I found the FA's were fine, the gate agents and other staff certainly adequate (my interactions with them were minimal).

And since US doesn't fly to ICN, there really wasn't another other choice
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
No I didn't get an upgrade domestically, but I did get a seat with a blocked middle seat (there's literally a plastic thing there so no one can sit there). I hope that doesn't go away. There was power (with standard US plug) at 2 of the 3 seats.
Sadly, new management has decreed that 738s absolutely must have 160 total seats, not 150, so those seat blockers will be removed.

AA's mainline fleet will see First Class pitch reduced and an extra row of economy added back - the row that was removed to create MCE.

Still no announcements of the timeline for MCE installation on the US fleet.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
My experience flying AA as a CP really drove home the lesson to me to fly US metal until late 2015. Too many condescending people who did not even want to try to help me or said outright untruth about USairways elite benefits on AA. Done.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
My experience flying AA as a CP really drove home the lesson to me to fly US metal until late 2015. Too many condescending people who did not even want to try to help me or said outright untruth about USairways elite benefits on AA. Done.
This.

I was told in a very ugly way that no matter what status I had, no matter that my name was first on the upgrade list (and it was), that under no circumstances would I get an upgrade. Embarrassing, to say the least.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miffSC
I was told in a very ugly way that no matter what status I had, no matter that my name was first on the upgrade list (and it was), that under no circumstances would I get an upgrade. Embarrassing, to say the least.
Not sure what was embarrassing about it, especially if you were #1. Were you given a reason?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure what was embarrassing about it, especially if you were #1. Were you given a reason?
Yeah, they were a US CP trying to fly AA's "Beverly Hills F" vs US's "Compton F".
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
My experience has been fine. Had a recent LGA-ORD-MCI itenerary. Got the offer to buy up to first on leg 1. Got a decent breakfast, and very pleasant service, always greeted by name by the FA.

Connection in ORD was fine, though the Admiral's Club was rammed with people and very tired looking. Though the entire time, I didn't see a single AA employee crack a smile. Not even once.

On the return, I was able to standby to an earlier departure to LGA and got an exit row seat which the agent said they usually leave blocked for last minute elites (don't know if there is any truth to that or not).

It's a merger, so we can cut everyone a little slack.

I enjoyed the AA seats, and the service was comparable to US, if not a little less friendly. Would I pay (stickers) for the first class service from LGA-ORD? Probably not, but we'll see what happens in the future.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
I was not given a reason... and he cleared the two people under me. It was embarrassing because he raised his voice and everyone within hearing of the podium was looking. I was not loud, nor did I use an ugly tone of voice when addressing him (you know me )- I had even given him and his coworker some ink pens. He was absolutely rude and disrespectful towards me.

I did write the airline and received a reply that basically said... we are sorry, we expect better behavior from our employees. End of story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.