Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refundable ticket has $300 cancel fee?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by scottsam66
In my estimation airlines charge $300 for the same reason dogs lick themselves...
Because they can.
Wouldn't that be true for just about any commodity in the free market? For-profit businesses generally charge whatever they can that yields the best profit. Not sure if I missed your point but the point I was making was that the airlines don't charge the change/refund fees because of what the direct cost is to actually make the change or cancellation in their computer. They charge it to deter certain behaviors as well as increase and protect their revenue.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
Airlines are getting more creative in getting people to pay more for additional flexibility. Instead of all or none (refundable, non-refundable) they are offering a middle ground at a middle price point. Its more expensive than non-refundable and cheaper than fully refundable.

It pretty common in some of the foreign flag carriers which may have even more tiers. No changes, changes with penalty, refund with penalty and refund no penalty.
As long as airlines are very clear about the rules around each type, I think this could be a good thing for passengers. I've long wondered why there were generally only two sets of rules: Y/B fares with total flexibility and then everything else with extraordinarily high change fees.

As an example, I think the way AA does it is pretty clear and fair to the customer. You see the options and the rules clearly on the first page of search options after you enter the route/dates. (Not that I've ever bought any of the middle-ground products myself...)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
As long as airlines are very clear about the rules around each type, I think this could be a good thing for passengers. I've long wondered why there were generally only two sets of rules: Y/B fares with total flexibility and then everything else with extraordinarily high change fees.

As an example, I think the way AA does it is pretty clear and fair to the customer. You see the options and the rules clearly on the first page of search options after you enter the route/dates. (Not that I've ever bought any of the middle-ground products myself...)
I think having "middle ground" options is a good thing. It can increase revenue/profit where it might not otherwise occur.

Just an example from my travel patterns. I fly on Y/B fares internationally because I need the flexibility and my company will only pay for economy. Needless to say, I don't like the idea of flying in Y on long haul trips, so my company allows me to buy the difference up to business, but I still need the ticket to be refundable. Buying up to a C fare was prohibitive. It was often over $10k for a fully refundable ticket. As I don't have that kind of cash, the flexible middle ground was a godsend. I could typically pay $500-800 more and get the flexibility to change or refund the ticket if needed for a fee (usually around $400-500). I just have to eat the fee if something happens. That's a risk I willingly assume for a better travel experience.

It's a win/win all around. I get what I need, with a few strings attached. The airline gets some extra revenue, and still gets more than a non-refundable discount premium ticket.

Sure you have to read the rules to make sure you know what you're buying, but people should be glad they exist. More options is a good thing.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Superguy
What's that?
The new distribution model. It allows for more customized fare offerings. Fares will be individualized by things such as income, where you live, job classification, etc . Well they say you will still be able to shop anonymously but you wont be getting all available fares if you don't opt-in.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new distribution model. It allows for more customized fare offerings. Fares will be individualized by things such as income, where you live, job classification, etc . Well they say you will still be able to shop anonymously but you wont be getting all available fares if you don't opt-in.
Sounds Big Brother-esque. So if I have a good paying job with an income, I can expect to pay more?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Since this thread is the first I've heard of it, I googled it.

So far, there doesn't seem to be much nonpartisan opinion out there about it. You can read the whole resolution, the press releases from the IATA talking about how great it is, and press releases from travel agency groups talking about how awful it is. Perhaps it's still too technical and implementation too nebulous to attract the attention of large, mainstream newspapers.

One of the key fears on the TA side is that airlines could require customers to give up a *lot* of personal information just to get a fare quote. Even though the XML standard itself has been green-lit, I suspect that US and EU regulators would have a say about if this fear began to materialize. (Perhaps EU more than US...) As much as the EU cares about online privacy, I can't imagine them allowing an airline to force a passenger to reveal marital status in order to genuinely see all available fares.

Hard to say whether the resolution will be good or bad for consumers yet. If it allows all of the potential garbage fees to be viewable more transparently when doing a generic Orbitz search, that could be a good thing. But I instinctively don't trust the airlines or their industry group, so I have to admit I'm skeptical.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:26 am

So if I have a good paying job with an income, I can expect to pay more?
Conspiracy theorists would say you're already doing that. Travel portals serving up higher hotel rates based on the type of device (or OS, or browser, etc.) you're using to connect to the site, for example. Numerous complaints here that rental car sites serve up higher rates when you're logged in as a elite member vs. when you aren't. (Although I think a lot of these have non-malicious explanations.)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Conspiracy theorists would say you're already doing that. Travel portals serving up higher hotel rates based on the type of device (or OS, or browser, etc.) you're using to connect to the site, for example. Numerous complaints here that rental car sites serve up higher rates when you're logged in as a elite member vs. when you aren't. (Although I think a lot of these have non-malicious explanations.)
I usually check both with and without creds and IME, I haven't experienced that.

Not saying that it doesn't happen, just that I haven't experienced it. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that airlines are inflating the fares a little bit if you're a top tier vs a kettle, though, as they're more likely to pay a little more to remain loyal.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Most of these conspiracy theories are baseless nonsence anyway... The airlines don't control a substantial part of the channels through which fares are offered so this won't work. It might work if they would give you a discount when you are willing to book direct and provide more data than you do now. But really, where's the benefit in that.

And there's also something as competition for most routes so it would have to be in cooperation to be effective. Not going to happen anytime soon.

They are constantly looking for ways to improve revenue management, but not like this.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:51 am

I usually check both with and without creds and IME, I haven't experienced that.

Not saying that it doesn't happen, just that I haven't experienced it. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that airlines are inflating the fares a little bit if you're a top tier vs a kettle, though, as they're more likely to pay a little more to remain loyal.
Indeed...it hasn't happened to me either, and I usually start most travel searches with a generic travel portal search (just to understand the whole market), even if I already have an idea of which hotel/air/car I want to book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.