Wiki Posts
Search

Special Dividends (gifting status)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: WFBF
Special Dividends (gifting status)

Something that popped into my head as I was running the numbers on my last batch of flights for the year...

I'm going to hit and pass Platinum pretty easily, and with only a tiny bit of creative routing on already-planned flights can hit the 85k Special Dividends tier, which comes with the ability to gift Silver to someone (and which I'll likely try to hit anyway to get upgrades on awards).

So I'm thinking: I have a frequent traveling companion who is Silver for 2014, but will not be for 2015; I know she can't trial into status for next year, but are there any restrictions on me gifting status to her?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
No restriction. Status starts immediately so make sure you do it JIT (Just In Time) style
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton Inner Circle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iztok
No restriction. Status starts immediately so make sure you do it JIT (Just In Time) style
This is good to know. I gifted status last year to someone and was wondering if I would be able to do the same this year. Glad to hear that I can!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Yep, I've done this every year for my wife.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
How long will the Special Dividends program be around? Does it go out with the merger in Q2 2015?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by dwcatty
How long will the Special Dividends program be around? Does it go out with the merger in Q2 2015?
I think most assume it will but gone but there is no official announcement as to what they will be getting rid of yet.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

You might not be able to gift status until their status expires. I gifted my wife Silver Trial, then when I was able to gift Gold, I tried to give it to her. It wouldn't take online & when I called I was told, "The Silver Trial must expire" before I could give her Gold.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
but didnt the recent announcement about the plan merger show that there will no longer be a silver category? What happens to folks who are gifted that?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by nlkm9
but didnt the recent announcement about the plan merger show that there will no longer be a silver category? What happens to folks who are gifted that?
There is silver status, it is just called gold on AA. They are getting rid of the fourth tier of Platinum on US.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I know the special dividends program ends in 2014, but can I grant someone a 90-day silver status after December 31?

dot com says "2014 nomination benefits must be processed by 02/28/2015."

So, I'm not sure which deadline is the one to worry about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.