Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Confused: US Airways award travel charts vs. Oneworld award travel chart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused: US Airways award travel charts vs. Oneworld award travel chart

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Confused: US Airways award travel charts vs. Oneworld award travel chart

My husband and I are considering redeeming our US Airways miles for a round-trip ticket in Business Class to Europe in Fall 2015.

When we compare the rewards charts for US Airways versus the one for Oneworld, we get confused.

According to US Airways, a RT Business Class to Europe would require 270,000 miles (High) or 220,000 miles (Medium). But Oneworld requires only 125,000 miles. Are we reading the charts wrong?

We we try to book our flight on US Airways website, we only get rewards based on US Airways rewards chart not Oneworld. How do we use Oneworld rewards chart rather than US Airways one?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by werarelytravel
According to US Airways, a RT Business Class to Europe would require 270,000 miles (High) or 220,000 miles (Medium). But Oneworld requires only 125,000 miles. Are we reading the charts wrong?
No. You've also missed Off-Peak/Low awards on US which is lower than the oneworld amount of 100/125k miles in business/first.

How do we use Oneworld rewards chart rather than US Airways one?
You need to travel on another oneworld carrier and there needs to be award availability.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
American Airlines and US Airways continue to operate as separate carriers (though both are part of the same parent company through the merger), and will continue to do so for some time.

As this question relates to current US Airways practices, policy or operation, it is being moved to the proper pre-merger forum.

/Moderator
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"We we try to book our flight on US Airways website, we only get rewards based on US Airways rewards chart not Oneworld. How do we use Oneworld rewards chart rather than US Airways one?"

Call US Airways and ask them to check availability on partner carriers. If you wish, you can go to aa.com first, and check award availability there on AA, AB, AY, BA, and HG, but not IB. FYI: There will be hefty cash surcharges due if you redeem Dividend Miles for long-haul flights on BA metal.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Sorry for not posting to the right forum. I did not notice the two sub-forums.

Thank you for moving my post to the right forum.

As far as I can tell, for the couple of European destinations that we have in mind, we are limited to US Airways, American Airlines and British Airways. How does one figure out the British Airways surcharge and does it apply if booked as an American Airlines flight (code-shared with British Airways)?

If I understand your answers correctly, availability permitting, I should be able to book my reward via US Airways using, for example, American Airlines flights and qualify for the Oneworld award chart. Am I correct?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you can find "SAAver" (lowest-tier) AA flights at aa.com, then yes, you should be able to book them with Dividend Miles by calling US Airways.

What European destinations are you looking at?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"How does one figure out the British Airways surcharge and does it apply if booked as an American Airlines flight (code-shared with British Airways)?"

A US Airways agent will tell you the total charges due if you want to finalize a particular award booking.

You cannot redeem Dividend Miles for a BA-operated flight under the AA codeshare flight number. If you want to redeem for travel on BA metal, you will only be able to redeem under the BA flight number.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

We are considering Athen, Rome and/or Istanbul.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are considering Athen, Rome and/or Istanbul.
Some or all of those destinations are also served by AB, AY, HG, IB, QR, and RJ. (Not sure if Dividend Miles permits you to connect in the Middle East for any of your intended destinations, however.)

The aa.com website is not capable of displaying IB or QR award availability; it will show RJ availability, but you would have to search separately for North America to AMM, and then AMM to IST, ATH, or FCO.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by guv1976
Some or all of those destinations are also served by AB, AY, HG, IB, QR, and RJ. (Not sure if Dividend Miles permits you to connect in the Middle East for any of your intended destinations, however.)
Dividend Miles, unlike the rules of "published fare must exist between origin and destination" and "can't connect in LIM to go to SCL" is pretty much "anything goes as long as it's under 125 MPM, and there's only one open-jaw or stopover on your round-trip".

I've booked multiple US award routings that go N. America->HKG->Europe->N. America... good luck doing that with AA miles without multiple awards.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.