Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Odor Sickens FAs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Cabin Odor Sickens FAs

From Charlotte Observer

Several US Airways crew members were sickened Monday by fumes in a flight out of Charlotte. One flight attendant from Flight 1905 was hospitalized in Orlando after the plane landed Monday morning.

According to the airline, the crew member had no specific symptoms and was just being checked out at the hospital.

US Airways says the "cabin odor" is not toxic to anyone and no passengers were affected. They also say the plane has been checked out and cleared.

The investigation is ongoing and mechanics are expected to take a closer look at the plane to find a cause.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
I always find it interesting with these stories that the crew is affected but not any of the passengers. Seriously makes one question the validity of the claims of the crew.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Maybe it was an allergy to the MCO crowd. Fans of the 6ft rat can be scary

Agree, how does this happen without impacting passengers?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
I always find it interesting with these stories that the crew is affected but not any of the passengers. Seriously makes one question the validity of the claims of the crew.
Originally Posted by FLgrr
Agree, how does this happen without impacting passengers?
FAs spend more time in the cabin than pax?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
The crew is walking and working; they have a much higher respiration rate than passengers who are largely sedentary, so they would be the first to experience symptoms.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Hmm, 1905 was operated by N289AY yesterday, one of the newer A330-200s, delivered in August 2013. There's been a number of fumes issues on mainly the newest A332 deliveries from Airbus in the past year:

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=474999e7&opt=0 - same aircraft on May 19th
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4778101f&opt=0 - N287AY on July 14th
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=47576ca2&opt=0 - N282AY on June 5th (this aircraft was delivered a few years further back in the first batch of A332 deliveries)

It's pretty interesting that this fleet subtype seems to continue to have issues like this one. They could all have different root causes - I haven't seen any final investigative reports, for instance - but there's a bit of a pattern here.

N289AY appears to have flown back to CLT as US 1713 with a delay, then overnighted in CLT, and operated US 716 this afternoon on CLT-PHL so presumably they think they've fixed the issue.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The issue in MCO actually occurred Sunday. The CLT/MCO was cancelled after the FA was transported to the hospital. I was on the same flight Monday with quite a few passengers that were on the cancelled one Sunday. The delay Monday was due to an issue with the avionics bay door.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Hokie Gator Flyer
The issue in MCO actually occurred Sunday. The CLT/MCO was cancelled after the FA was transported to the hospital. I was on the same flight Monday with quite a few passengers that were on the cancelled one Sunday. The delay Monday was due to an issue with the avionics bay door.
Ah OK, thanks. By chance, it was also 289AY on Sunday:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...320Z/KCLT/KMCO

The aircraft ferried back to CLT Sunday night 7 hours behind schedule as US 1718, but even though it didn't have a 92xx series ferry flight number, I can't imagine it was very full if it carried any revenue passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.