Wiki Posts
Search

Special Dividends -- how soon?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Special Dividends -- how soon?

Question for anyone who has crossed a special dividends threshold lately: how long before you received access to your perks? I'm wanting to give a free trial preferred to someone before their upcoming trip, but am curious if I will even be able to depending on the time between when I cross over, relative to their upcoming flight.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I haven't used any this year yet, but they've generally become available as soon as the segment/miles post that cross the threshold.

Status based dividends take immediate effect, though the recipient may need to call in to reapply it to an existing reservation.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: WFBF
I crossed one of the mileage milestones last Friday, got the email about it within 48 hours, which I assume is when the miles posted. Didn't check the site to see exactly when, though; I'm not yet at the 85k tier, so doesn't contain anything I care about enough to check for.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Historically they have shown up for me as soon as the relevant segment posts to my account.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
As others have noted, the Special Dividends should unlock as soon as the miles/segment that push you over the threshold post to your account - typically about 2 days after the flight.

Also, when you apply that Silver or Silver trial to your friend's account, it will upgrade their account instantly. I was really surprised the first time I did it that there was no delay - as there seems to be for just about everything else in US' system - but it's worked that way every time without fail.

The only catch - if your friend purchased their flight prior to you granting them Silver, their PNR might not recognize the new status automatically. A quick call to US to remove and reapply their FF number from the ticket usually fixes that.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: USairways, United, Hilton, Marriott
Agreed - Reached the 35K threshold and got the email at the same time the miles were posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.