Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PQM for Club Renewal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
PQM for Club Renewal

So, with the whole merger mess going on, anyone guess what the chances are that US will still run a "PQM with Club membership" deal like they have in the past?

I have paid for US Club membership just for that (well, I've used it a couple times when my Priority Pass wasn't usable or when at CLT or PHL).

So think there will be a "Join the new Admirals Club and get bonus PQM" deals soon? My current membership expires in November and if that's not coming, I'll likely just let it go.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I seriously doubt we will see this again. I got the extra 5K PQM the past couple of years but I think with the AAlignment () it is gone.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I seriously doubt we will see this again. I got the extra 5K PQM the past couple of years but I think with the AAlignment () it is gone.
Every day I find yet another reason to dump US/AA. I don't mind AA, but they're expensive for the same routes US flies. US is typically the least expensive or on par with UA, so I am able to stick with one airline for my work travel.

BUT, I am afraid that as the merger moves on, prices will rise to match the rates AA charges, and with the move to OneWorld, the usefulness of the 300K or so miles I have banked will decrease, there were a LOT more options with *A both for earning and redeeming.

I actually LIKE US, of the domestics, but it's just getting harder and harder to stay with them.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
There was another thread like this a month or two ago and the consensus was this isn't happening this year. They are going to have so many elites and members already that there is no reason for them to offer more incentive.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Any bonus PQM offer for club renewal?

I just got a notice that my US club membership is coming up for renewal. In past years, they frequently had some promos going on that involved PQM's. Anyone know of such a promo currently?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I think it is gone forever due to the AAlignment!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:38 am

It makes sense, they are going to have so many Elite Status members next year and Club Members by combining everything that they don't need to run promotions at this point.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
I just noticed in the past few weeks that i could purchase a club membership with miles. Not sure if this is something relatively new, or if I just completely missed it in the past. For CP it's 45k miles + 10k initiation fee for new members.

Anyone think there might be a promo anytime soon that at least waives the initiation fee, even if they don't repeat the PQM-earning promos of the past? I'm skeptical, but I've been dragging my feet on signing up in hopes there's something coming later in the year.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

That's new to me... At least I don't recall ever seeing an option to buy a membership with miles... maybe thats an Admirals Club thing that's new now that all the US clubs are Admirals Clubs?

My US/AA club membership expires in November, but I'll probably wait it out until EOY to see. I have Priority Pass through work, but the US Club was great as I could take my wife in for free and also helped in occasions where there was no PP club in my terminal or even in my airport but there WAS a US club.

The PQM bonus certainly helped too.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
And before someone chimes in with an unhelpful comment... yes, I am aware that it's a relatively bad 'exchange rate' - $350+$50 vs. 45k+10k miles. Yes, I realize I could get more bang for the buck with a flight to Europe or South America. But for someone with too many miles in the bank, not enough time to use them for personal trips, and too much time spent in airports every week, this is an option that caught my interest.

For others that didn't know about this either, here's the full mileage price chart from the website:

Annual memberships --- Price (individual) --- Price (joint)
Standard --- $450/ 70,000 miles --- $775 / 115,000 miles
Silver --- $425 / 60,000 miles --- $700 / 100,000 miles
Gold/Platinum --- $400 / 55,000 miles --- $625 / 85,000 miles
Chairman's --- $350 / 45,000 miles --- $525 / 65,000 miles
(plus $50 / 10,000 miles initiation fee for any new members)
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
And before someone chimes in with an unhelpful comment... yes, I am aware that it's a relatively bad 'exchange rate' - $350+$50 vs. 45k+10k miles. Yes, I realize I could get more bang for the buck with a flight to Europe or South America. But for someone with too many miles in the bank, not enough time to use them for personal trips, and too much time spent in airports every week, this is an option that caught my interest.

For others that didn't know about this either, here's the full mileage price chart from the website:

Annual memberships --- Price (individual) --- Price (joint)
Standard --- $450/ 70,000 miles --- $775 / 115,000 miles
Silver --- $425 / 60,000 miles --- $700 / 100,000 miles
Gold/Platinum --- $400 / 55,000 miles --- $625 / 85,000 miles
Chairman's --- $350 / 45,000 miles --- $525 / 65,000 miles
(plus $50 / 10,000 miles initiation fee for any new members)
When you're like a lot of us with more miles then you will ever use anytime soon the millage option for the club membership makes a lot of sense. I've used miles on AA for the club for the last 8 years now and i'm still sitting on well over 500K miles. Miles only DEPRECIATE not appreciate so if you don't use them for anything else it makes sense. It makes even more sense as an EXP since it's only 45K miles.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:45 am

Why not get the AA card that gets you access to the club plus 50k miles?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
I just noticed in the past few weeks that i could purchase a club membership with miles. Not sure if this is something relatively new, or if I just completely missed it in the past. For CP it's 45k miles + 10k initiation fee for new members.

Anyone think there might be a promo anytime soon that at least waives the initiation fee, even if they don't repeat the PQM-earning promos of the past? I'm skeptical, but I've been dragging my feet on signing up in hopes there's something coming later in the year.
45k miles is a miserable value, I hope you don't do it! If the club membership is $450, that's a penny per mile. I personally don't redeem unless I can get 2 cents per mile back.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Pre-merger US had the ability to get Club memberships using miles maybe 10 years ago for at least a little while. I think it was around 40K miles at the time.

Not great value, but nice to have another option.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:20 am

Someone said you can buy CP with miles too in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.