No more pillows in domestic First Class - aligning with AA

Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite

And since my first post, none of my flights have had pillows. (At least domestic ones).. Guess I was lucky for a bit.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat

Haha, I love FlyerTalk. I just got on an MHT-CLT flight in F and the first thing I noticed was a blanket, but no pillow. Sure enough, I jump on to FT while sipping my PDB and I find this thread to answer all my questions!

Put me in to the camp of "I don't use them and always get annoyed when I have to stuff it somewhere, but I still think it's cheap to remove them." I'd go with the option of keeping a few on board for those who ask for them.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: USAirways Dividend Miles
2 redeyes: no pillows

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
They have been discontinued on most domestic flights but blankets are staying. 99% of the pillows ended up on the floor, in the seat pocket or in the O/h bins anyway. I think they'll still be provided on redeyes.
Flew SFO-PHL on 9/10 and LAX-PHL last night: no pillows on either.

Would seem pillows gone entirely.

I was a big fan of stuffing them in the small of my back to sleep at night to create my own lie-flat!

Additionaly observations about last nights LAX-PHL flight:

- 1 bottle of white wine in FC last night, killed prior to take off. FA went back to check coach an hour in and no white wine left for purchase and no splits of cava either. First time I've seen that "light" of a catering job.

- Door closing announcement included something to the extent if someone wanted to De-Plane, this was their last chance....never expecting to hear that!

Still like the return to glass and new nut service on trans-con pre meal service.

The balancing of Improvements and takeaways....
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by racefaith
- Door closing announcement included something to the extent if someone wanted to De-Plane, this was their last chance....never expecting to hear that!
I heard the same on a Wednesday CLT-ATL. That was a new one for me. If it's isolated, we may have had the same cabin crew - one of the FAs on that A321 crew mentioned they were heading to PHX and LAX, so they might have actually operated your flight as well.

New today for me was much thicker AA-branded blankets in F on US 1847 ATL-PHL that I'm currently on. I suppose if it was 40 degrees on the flight I might've wanted one, but it was thick enough you might be able to make it into an improvised pillow.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by phlwookie
I heard the same on a Wednesday CLT-ATL. That was a new one for me. If it's isolated, we may have had the same cabin crew - one of the FAs on that A321 crew mentioned they were heading to PHX and LAX, so they might have actually operated your flight as well.

New today for me was much thicker AA-branded blankets in F on US 1847 ATL-PHL that I'm currently on. I suppose if it was 40 degrees on the flight I might've wanted one, but it was thick enough you might be able to make it into an improvised pillow.
I've been hearing the 'this is your last chance to de-board' message on a number of recent flights. Not 100%, but it does seem like it is part of the new script that FA's are gradually adjusting to. I find it a very odd thing to highlight in the announcement.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
If someone took that chance to exit the plane, would any checked baggage have to be off-loaded?

On long-haul flights, I have heard the announcement "all ground crew deplane now" (not verbatim) on various carriers.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by phlwookie

I had one of those on an AA flight the other day. If this is what blankets were like on all flights, that would at least be a bit better. I was able to use it as a blanket and put it between my knee and the armrest like I often do with the pillow.

I still think having a few on the plane would make sense and having them for the red eye flights.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:59 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Anyone know what US is doing about their Business class bedding?

As far as I know they are still using the ols\d blue blanket and small pillow, which are pretty bad. Do they plan to integrate with the AA bedding? It is significntly better.

They have moved the AA headphones and IFE into Biz class already.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by racefaith
Door closing announcement included something to the extent if someone wanted to De-Plane, this was their last chance....never expecting to hear that!
According to the FAs/GA on my flight Sunday, that's a US thing that is migrating to AA, though they refused to make that announcement & stuck w/the usual AA 'the front door has now been closed, please turn off & put away all large electronic devices...'
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by txrus
According to the FAs/GA on my flight Sunday, that's a US thing that is migrating to AA, though they refused to make that announcement & stuck w/the usual AA 'the front door has now been closed, please turn off & put away all large electronic devices...'
If that is something they are migrating to, then it is new to both carriers. US crews have typically made a similar announcement about the boarding door and turning off large electronics...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by txrus
There's no way that's historically a US thing. I've been on way too many US flights over the past 15 years and I've never heard it until very recently.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
There's no way that's historically a US thing. I've been on way too many US flights over the past 15 years and I've never heard it until very recently.
Agreed - This is not a legacy US thing that's coming over to AA. Prior to the past few weeks, I've never heard that sort of announcement on US. Honestly, I can't remember ever hearing something like this on any airline, but definitely not on pmUS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.