Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Had no idea that ORC (Original Routing Credit) was dead

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Had no idea that ORC (Original Routing Credit) was dead

Got rerouted from an original itinerary (Mileage run) of BWI-PHL-SAN-PHL-BWI to DCA-DFW-SAN-CLT-DCA because of crew delays on the Air Whisky flight from BWI-PHL (surprise!)

Net deficit is about 700 PQMs...not that much, but again not what I paid for. So, silly me, I thought I could get Original Routing Credit.

Well, I write the gold desk requesting such, and here's the response:

"Dear Mr. PaceLaw2012,

Thank you for contacting US Airways.

If your US Airways flight was canceled and you were rescheduled on another US Airways flight, you will earn miles for the rescheduled itinerary. If your US Airways flight was canceled and you are rescheduled on a partner airline, you will earn miles for the flights flown on the partner airline. If your US Airways flight was canceled and you were rescheduled on a non-partner airline, you can earn miles for the originally scheduled US Airways flights. If you elect not to travel, you will not receive credit.

If your American flight was cancelled and you were rescheduled on another American flight, you will earn miles for the rescheduled itinerary. If your American flight was canceled and you are rescheduled on a partner airline, you will earn miles for the flights flown on the partner airline. No mileage credit will be awarded for canceled flights or if you are accommodated on another non-partner airline.

Thank you for the opportunity to further explain our Dividend Miles program. We look forward to serving you on future US Airways flights."

soooooooooo Original Routing Credit is dead forever, except for when "If your US Airways flight was canceled and you were rescheduled on a non-partner airline, you can earn miles for the originally scheduled US Airways flights."

Fantastic :-\

I admittedly haven't tried to get ORC in about 18 months, but I'm sad to see this change.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Is this my future??
Why not call and speak with someone in DM CS.
At AA, I just call AAdvantage CS. They listen to my story, check my reservation and issue an ORC on the spot.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
Is this my future??
Why not call and speak with someone in DM CS.
At AA, I just call AAdvantage CS. They listen to my story, check my reservation and issue an ORC on the spot.
I didn't call b/c the last time (18 months ago) I tried to get ORC, and back when I was a Chairman, the phone agent + supervisor explicitly said that ORC requests have to be made in writing.

I guess it's worth a shot, but my expectations are low.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Same thing happened to me back in February. I tried pushing it, but no luck.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
YMMV - I was able to get ORC on a flight back in February when US was only able to get me PHX-PHL and not onward to ALB due to heavy snow. I took Amtrak home and requested ORC and they provided the response quoted above, but proceeded to note they would make a one-time exception and provide the credit for my originally scheduled flight.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Hasn't this always been the case at US? I thought that ORC only applies when US rebooks you on a flight(s) that doesn't earn mileage in the DM program?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Hasn't this always been the case at US? I thought that ORC only applies when US rebooks you on a flight(s) that doesn't earn mileage in the DM program?
Officially, that's how it's been for years. Anecdotally, there were rather frequent reports on FT of being granted exceptions.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I did ORC over the phone last year but with slightly different facts. Delayed flight out of GNV was going to make mis-connect my TATL flight. They put me on DL to ATL then to PHL. I called CP line a couple of weeks after the trip and she gave me ORC right there on the phone and it posted immediately...

Go Gators
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Fanjet
This has ALWAYS been the case at US. If you are rebooked on US, you get the credit for what you fly. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts, but you get what you fly.

If you miss a segment because it's been cancelled, you might still get credit (such as the above poster who got credit for the flight to ALB).

Also, if you are rerouted on a different carrier, you can get credit for ORC for that flight. For example, I once got rebooked from LAX-PHX-DCA to an AS LAX-DCA which I credited to DL (pre-merger) then called US and they gave me credit to US for the ORC.

However, if you book a flight with a connection and you get rerouted somehow on US, you'll get what you fly. It's always been that way.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
Fight Cancelled, Can I get original routing credit?

On Monday I was scheduled to fly AVP-PHL-MHT starting at about 2:15. When I got to the airport I found out my first flight was delayed due to a combination of crew availability and then maintenance. After a few delays I was moved to the next PHL-MHT flight because I would not make the connection, then my AVP-PHL flight was canceled.
US Airways was calling to schedule a bus to move people from AVP but it would have meant missing another MHT flight and going with the final flight of the day that was pretty late. I elected to drive to PHL instead of taking the bus so that I could make the second flight. Due to driving I ended up losing 2 connections in my quest to make CP for next year, my flight from AVP-PHL and then the return from PHL to AVP since I now had a car in PHL.
My question, can I request the original routing credit of 4 connections or just get a refund on the unused flights and credit for 2 connections?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23511983-post9.html
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:14 pm

How about a cancelled AA flight (which was meant to credit to US), protected on *A? Will US credit ORC based on the original cancelled AA flights or *A routing?

Thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by baclubflyer
How about a cancelled AA flight (which was meant to credit to US), protected on *A? Will US credit ORC based on the original cancelled AA flights or *A routing?
No, per the policy in the first post:

If your American flight was cancelled and you were rescheduled on another American flight, you will earn miles for the rescheduled itinerary. If your American flight was canceled and you are rescheduled on a partner airline, you will earn miles for the flights flown on the partner airline. No mileage credit will be awarded for canceled flights or if you are accommodated on another non-partner airline.
That said, you should be able to get AA to give you ORC to an AA account -- and given the recent announcements, it sounds like it should work out towards status eventually.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS
I booked HVN-PHL-DCA-ORD. The day before departure DCA-ORD was canceled and I was routed HVN-PHL-ORD. After the door closed in HVN, the flight went mechanical and was subsequently canceled. I was reaccommodated BDL-ORD on UA. Am I eligible for ORC from HVN-PHL-DCA-ORD or just for HVN-PHL-ORD?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
ORC in a coma... but not dead

I have received ORC in 2015 for a set of cancelled flights where I was ticketed on DL (a nonstop no less).

Was painless, but did have to ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.