Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Check-in Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Baggage Check-in Question

So here is the scenario, I was booked on a RDU-CLT-MCO (already travelled) and return MCO-CLT-RDU (future) flight long back. Requirement to travel to NY the day I reach RDU (home) came in last minute. So rather than reaching RDU to fly back to LGA via CLT (I prefer US Airways) I booked another ticket from CLT itself. Effectively making my travel as MCO-CLT-LGA (I plan to have a no show on CLT-RDU flight). Technically the travel should have no problem until I realized how do I handle my Baggage checked-in at MCO?? Would US airways be able to check my baggage using two different tickets until last destination??
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as separate carriers (though they are part of a single, merged parent company), I'll move this over to the pre-US Airways forum as you are asking about what the US Airways operation would do in this instance.

/Moderator
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, but US won't. US does not short-check bags to prevent exactly what you are trying to do here. Your bags will be checked through to RDU.

Also, be careful. If you hold "impossible" tickets, e.g., you could not fly both your booked CLT-RDU and CLT-LGA, the US system may cancel one or both.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Best to call and cancel your CLT-RDU segment. Not sure if you would incur costs there or not.

Then you can check your bags through MCO-CLT-LGA by letting the TA know at MCO check-in that you are flying on two PNRs. Having both BPs (MCO-CLT and CLT-LGA) already printed won't hurt.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Best to call and cancel your CLT-RDU segment. Not sure if you would incur costs there or not.
I've had mixed luck on this. Last time I tried it worked without a fee from the Chairman's desk by asking nicely, but that hasn't always been the case. (I was doing it due to a schedule change but had no luggage checking plans.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.