Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice about Poor Customer Service at PHX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Need Advice about Poor Customer Service at PHX

Hello everyone. I had an award reservation booked with United miles pre-merger. The return flights are when the problems started. We flew from VCE-PHL-PHX on US Airways with an overnight layover in PHX.

Originally, we were booked PHX-ELP in First. We got to the airport 3 hours before our flight due to hotel checkout times and it was PHX summer, so too hot to do much. When we were trying to check-in at the kiosks, it kept trying to charge me for baggage and it was making me choose seats in coach. An agent came over to help and said I had to pay the baggage fee. I told her I was booked in First and my seat assignment (which I had made previously) was not showing up. The agent referred me to the manned desk so they could look into it.

As we were waiting in line, the supervisor (who would be rude to us shortly) came up and told the agents to waive all the baggage fees for the group of soldiers in line behind us. I have no problems with that, I only point it out because of what happened next.

We get to the agent who was very short with us and said that my reservation was in coach and there was nothing she could do. So she assigned us seats but refused waive the baggage fees, even though I had my printed reservation that said we got 2 bags each, up to 70# free. She said since I had an overnight connection, I had to pay for the bags. She said I had to pay and would need to have get reimbursed later. I asked who would reimburse me, US Air? She said no it would have to be United because its their ticket. I persisted because I thought it would be next to impossible to get anything reimbursed later. I then pointed out we had the US Airways MC and could add one of our US Airways numbers and the baggage fees would be waived. She said no it wouldn't work because it doesn't apply to award tickets (which I don't believe is true). I asked for a supervisor and she went to talk to him then brought him over. He would not look at my paperwork or at my reservation. He was the rudest person I couldn't even believe it. We have been very nice and polite up to this point because I am a firm believer that people don't want to help anyone who is rude or nasty with them.

Since we had plenty of time, I asked where the United desk was so I could ask them to help. It was in a different terminal, so I called the 800 number. The agent I spoke to was very friendly and said I was booked in First and I shouldn't have a problem getting our first class seats and getting our baggage checked. I asked if he could speak to the US air agents and he said no problem. I then got the supervisor, who refused to talk on my cellphone-ok fair enough, what number can they call to speak to you here? He refused to give me a phone number and said United had their phone number! So since the US Airways agents refused to talk to him or give me a phone number, I thanked the phone agent and hung up.

I then called US Airways 800#. The agent was very nice and friendly and put me on hold to look up my reservation. She said that I was originally booked in First, but there was an equipment change to a single-cabin plane and was downgraded to coach, BUT, I should be able to check my bags without a problem. She asked who I had been speaking to at PHX so she could call them. I asked the supervisor for his name. He told me his first name and I asked for his last, which he refused to give me and rambled some number off. I asked him to repeat it and he, again, said it really fast. I caught the first 3 digits and asked him for the rest, which he rolled his eyes, sighed, and repeated sarcastically. I gave the phone agent the info and she put me on hold while she called PHX. She spoke to a different supervisor who came down and told the agent to waive our baggage fees. This supervisor was very nice, a stark contrast to everyone else we had talked to at PHX. So we were now getting our bags taken care of by a different agent, but she says we were not checked in properly so she had to fix it. That was quite amusing since the person we originally dealt with was right next to her. She checks us in, reprints our boarding passes, and checks our bags. It has now been over an hour since we got to the check in desk, so we head to the lounge.

We sat in the lounge a little while and then head to the gate. Imagine my surprise when we board the plane and there is a first class cabin! We ask the FA if there are any seats available and she says yes, but we need to go back to the gate and the agent there will help. I explained the situation and she says everyone has cleared but there are two seats left. She calls her supervisor who processes the change. While we were waiting, we explained a little bit of our ordeal and she is quite surprised and tells us we should write customer service. So we get on the plane and have our first class seats for the 1 hour flight.

Now, it may not sound like it, but I am really not a complainer. On the other hand, when I am to receive something, I do try to make sure I get what I am entitled to. Now I know there are a lot of "over-entitled" elites and people who are very demanding. I do not believe I am one of those people. It was an award ticket, but there we were booked in a certain class of service and would not have gotten it if I hadn't persisted.

What would you do in this situation? Should I write to US Airways and/or United? Should I ask for anything?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm sure that I'll be in the minority, but I'd do nothing. There was a problem with your rezzie. It took a few people and phone calls, but it all got straightened out and you got what you booked and paid for. As long as the mistake is fixed, I generally take the position that no compensation is due. When the appliance store delivers the wrong refrigerator, do you get compensation? No, they go back and get you the one you ordered. When the waiter puts the wrong meal down in front of you, do you get compensation? No, the waiter goes back and gets you the dinner you ordered.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
If the Reservations agent overheard the agent being sarcastic and rude towards you, I would have asked her to notate the record as a "witness" to the terrible customer service you received. That way, at least you could have supporting evidence when writing to CS that the agent treated you rudely.

I would think you would be due maybe $50-100, or a fixed amount of miles, for all the time, hassle, and frustration you endured, over a relatively simple issue. I'm glad it all worked out in the end, but US needs to know how their agents deal with different/off situations like yours, so they can be better trained, as well as getting feedback about their approach to customers.

This surprises me, because (*knock on wood*) every time I've connected through PHX, I've always gotten a friendly and helpful agent. I've had rude treatment at CLT, PHL, DCA, ATL, MSP, DTW, SLC, and LAX (on different airlines, too), but never at PHX. Must be the sun.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As US Airways is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger US Airways forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Write to US and briefly explain you had poor customer service from agents X and Y in PHX in dealing with your reservation and check in. When push comes to shove you booked in F and should have had free bags, you ended up in F and got free bags, so I wouldn't hold my breath on getting compensation due to an agent being rude.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Thank you for all the replies. I actually didn't think compensation was warranted, as you pointed out I eventually got what I was entitled to. It never hurts to ask the experts though . My main concern was the treatment received. If I hadn't been diligent, I wouldn't have gotten what I originally booked.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post was that the agent at the ticket desk I initially dealt with, had problems and argued with several people while we were waiting. All the people had different issues and she would start out saying there was nothing she could do. Some did what she told them but others started getting nasty and yelling (which I try never to do). With the ones who got loud she would change her story and do what she originally said she could not do. This is why a lot of people act/complain the way they do-they get results while the nice ones don't.

I will write a letter to US Airways but not ask for compensation. Should I CC: United since it was originally their ticket?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Shorten the OP to 2-3 sentences and send it to US. The history of who said what is irrelevant. Your problem got fixed, but the agents were rude. So, say that.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
That's such a frustrating story! But you were persistent and it paid off- I would let them know about nasty agent who wouldn't talk on phone or give a #.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Originally Posted by Often1
Shorten the OP to 2-3 sentences and send it to US. The history of who said what is irrelevant. Your problem got fixed, but the agents were rude. So, say that.
I would honestly save the effort. If you were dealing with a business that really cared about customer service (for instance a good hotel) I think the feedback for feedback's sake is important. But this is a US airline, you were flying on miles from a competitor, you were eventually able to resolve the situation, aside from losing a little time at the airport you were not harmed (and aren't asking for compensation) and it's all things considered like a 3 on a scale of 10. I'm by no means excusing the Post Office level of customer service (with apologies to the post office, many of whom do a better job than the airlines...) you received as a first class passenger but rather suggesting you save the complaints for something more substantive. They will almost assuredly not read your letter, the people in question will not be coached much less disciplined and at best you may receive a small mileage or dollar voucher. I'd give it a healthy eye roll and let it go. <$.02>
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83
Thank you for all the replies. I actually didn't think compensation was warranted, as you pointed out I eventually got what I was entitled to. It never hurts to ask the experts though . My main concern was the treatment received. If I hadn't been diligent, I wouldn't have gotten what I originally booked.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post was that the agent at the ticket desk I initially dealt with, had problems and argued with several people while we were waiting. All the people had different issues and she would start out saying there was nothing she could do. Some did what she told them but others started getting nasty and yelling (which I try never to do). With the ones who got loud she would change her story and do what she originally said she could not do. This is why a lot of people act/complain the way they do-they get results while the nice ones don't.

I will write a letter to US Airways but not ask for compensation. Should I CC: United since it was originally their ticket?
IMO rudeness gets a letter to CS but no compensation. But it should also be routed to the individual's supervisor. Then if there's a pattern, the supervisor will see it and can take whatever retraining or corrective action is called for in the employee union's collective bargaining agreement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.