Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged for bags with Barclays mastercard on award flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:36 am
Original Poster

I searched for a while and can't find an answer. I have the barclays card and I was charged for a bag on a award flight I booked last year. I have the card that has a free bag as a benefit. I checked in at the kiosk with the card and the fee wasn't removed. I talked to the attendant and they said they couldn't do anything if the kiosk didn't automatically remove it. She proceeded to inform me that award flights don't get the fee removed.

Did I miss something?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold

Maybe it has something to do with the timing of when you purchased the ticket vs when the free bag benefit went into effect?

I just took an award flight last month and had the bag fees waived. My trip was booked at the end of May
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
I searched for a while and can't find an answer. I have the barclays card and I was charged for a bag on a award flight I booked last year. I have the card that has a free bag as a benefit. I checked in at the kiosk with the card and the fee wasn't removed. I talked to the attendant and they said they couldn't do anything if the kiosk didn't automatically remove it. She proceeded to inform me that award flights don't get the fee removed.

Did I miss something?
Did you make sure your correct DM number was in your reservation? When you sign into your DM account on usairways.com does it show the little DMS logo next to your name in the top right of the screen?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skitch23
Maybe it has something to do with the timing of when you purchased the ticket vs when the free bag benefit went into effect?

I just took an award flight last month and had the bag fees waived. My trip was booked at the end of May
I guess since I booked it last year must be the issue. Looking at the website there is a April 23rd cut off but I've read posts on here where tickets booked before then had their bag for free.

My account says DMS and the reservation is attached to my account. My trip was also to Hawaii so maybe that screws it up somehow.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Ask for a refund. What can they do worse than tell you no and explain it?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
I guess since I booked it last year must be the issue. Looking at the website there is a April 23rd cut off but I've read posts on here where tickets booked before then had their bag for free.

My account says DMS and the reservation is attached to my account. My trip was also to Hawaii so maybe that screws it up somehow.
I'm pretty sure that is the issue. The free checked bag benefit wasn't always there and according to the baggage policy page on usairways.com, if you ticketed before April 23rd, 2014 it isn't showing a free bag for credit card holders.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:09 pm

Our paid trip in July was ticketed before 4/23, and we got the free checked bag. They may be enforcing it more strictly on award tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.