Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US DM CP to NRT from CLT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
US DM CP to NRT from CLT

Hello all-
Need a bit of advice...
I need to book a RT to NRT likely 9/6-9/12. I'd like to use a OW partner airline if at all possible. Is it possible to use my e-cert upgrade for being a CP on a partner airline (don't think so, but maybe)? And not sure of the terminology, so flame away if you must...
I'm a segment warrior with an occasional international flight. This will be my first post Star Alliance. I would have just booked UA if they were still *A or ANA.
Anyway, I realize this info might be available on threads already on FT, but I was hoping to avoid sifting through 100s of pages. (Isn't FT supposed to make our lives easier after all).
Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'll be in NYC week before so that changes everything. I see JAL direct flights.

Last edited by scottsam66; Aug 27, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't even have to look to know the answer: no, you can't upgrade a JAL flight without JAL miles.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:59 pm

No, sorry.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
CP certs can be used on US operated flights to upgrade to business class on flights to Brazil and Europe, as well as PHX-Hawaii to domestic first class (which is viewed to be a poor use of them versus the first two options).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
As someone who commutes to Asia a fair bit, I really hope they allow us to use our CP certs as SWU on American soon. It seems like it would be relatively easy for AA to accomplish, even if it means a manual phone call from US CP customer service to the AA EXP folks for confirmation. It's pretty painful right now not to have a way to upgrade to Asia. At least when we partnered with United, their GPU were very easy to find via trade...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by inthemix
As someone who commutes to Asia a fair bit, I really hope they allow us to use our CP certs as SWU on American soon. It seems like it would be relatively easy for AA to accomplish, even if it means a manual phone call from US CP customer service to the AA EXP folks for confirmation. It's pretty painful right now not to have a way to upgrade to Asia. At least when we partnered with United, their GPU were very easy to find via trade...
It took several months for UA to get their process into place to use SWUs on CO. I'm sure using US certs on AA is something they're working on. We just got reciprocal upgrades for domestic. I wouldn't think that the SWUs are that high on the priority list.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
I think it will be nice when they have reciprocity for these instruments.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Probably March 1st 2015
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K
While I agree US/AA reciprocal SWU usage would be great, OP is asking about using certs on a partner carrier. This is not possible with either US or AA. Own carrier's metal only.

To the OP: you may have to fly in Y, but I think you'll be quite pleased with the oneworld emerald benefit of full first class lounge access. If connecting in L.A., ORD, or JFK, enjoy the AA Flagship Lounge. In NRT, the JAL First Class Lounge in the main terminal has an enormous variety of food and a wonderful selection of high-end alcoholic beverages (some whiskeys are well over $150 a bottle). Massages are also available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.