Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best time to book flights for best price?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
best time to book flights for best price?

Hi folks
i travel on usairways weekly--often my appts are cancelled last minute or location is changed and the fees are nuts....
here is my question--I book my flights out several weeks to get best prices--
is it better to wait till 3 weeks ahead? I only fly domestically, but I have been booking 6-8 weeks out and think i need a new strategy--the change fees will be painful still, but if someone cancels 4 weeks out and I havent booked a flight, that would be a plus--
thanks
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

no advice from anyone???
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
There are so many different variables here: the route you're flying, the time of year, what day of the week, what time of day, etc... I've had different results. Sometimes, I can find a cheap flight with short notice and other times it's really high. Maybe you should look into a refundable ticket.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:31 am
Original Poster

ok, thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
I always wait for tues and wed mornings to do my booking
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
If there was a rule on when to book in order to pay the least, everyone would be booking at that time.

It's a question of luck most of the time -- last minute fares can go very high or drop; fares 6 weeks out can do the same...
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
3-4 weeks seems to be the best general time IME. US tends to charge more further out, then get cheaper as they don't sell the seats. Seemingly backwards of most airlines. That isn't the case all of the time, but it is more often than not.

Refundable fares don't change much. Buy now, buy a day before - it'll pretty much be the same.

YMMV, but that's what I've seen at least.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Lightbulb Math

Let x be the average fare 6 weeks out.
Let y be the average fare 3 weeks out.
Let r be the refundable fare.

Represent the change fee by "c".

Let p be the fraction of meetings canceled between 3 and 6 weeks out, and q be the fraction of meetings canceled less than 3 weeks out. Thus 1-p-q is the fraction of meetings that you actually go to.

Let's assume that you will use the residual value of the ticket eventually.

If you buy 6 weeks out your average cost per booking is x * (1 - p - q) + c * (p + q).
If you buy 3 weeks out your average cost per booking is y * (1 - p - q) + c * q (because you never make the booking if it is canceled between 3-6 weeks out).
If you buy a refundable ticket your average cost per booking is r * (1 - p - q).

So make a spreadsheet and figure out which of these three is the lowest.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum)
Buy the refundable fare 6 weeks out or longer...then keep an eye on the non-refundable fare. If the non-refundable fare stays low as you approach date, then buy it and refund the refundable fare...if it starts shooting up, then stick with what you already bought.

What kills me with the change fee is that even if the fare dropped, that does no good to you, since the $200 is extracted out of a separate pocket...and God forbid you have to make 2 changes...

I have made it a habit to always check the price the day after I buy the ticket, as well. A few times I have seen it drop and, with the 24 hour rule, I have been able to get the difference refunded.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dchirsch
Buy the refundable fare 6 weeks out or longer...then keep an eye on the non-refundable fare. If the non-refundable fare stays low as you approach date, then buy it and refund the refundable fare...if it starts shooting up, then stick with what you already bought.

What kills me with the change fee is that even if the fare dropped, that does no good to you, since the $200 is extracted out of a separate pocket...and God forbid you have to make 2 changes...

I have made it a habit to always check the price the day after I buy the ticket, as well. A few times I have seen it drop and, with the 24 hour rule, I have been able to get the difference refunded.

great ideas!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.