women dies on US Airways flight from HNL-PHX

Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
women dies on US Airways flight from HNL-PHX

I heard the news this morning. The women age of 50s dies on US Airways flight from HNL-PHX this early morning. She was unconscious, but there is no pulse. She was passed away.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-pho...-bound-flight-

My condolences to her existence family. May her rest in the peace forever.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
I know the article said her emergency happened during final approach to PHX, but it got me thinking that that's a tough flight to encounter a medical emergency on, in general. Really nowhere to divert to until you're basically at your destination, in either direction.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
This is always a risk for long flights across the oceans. It does happen on occaision, and airlines have instructions on how to deal with it. At least one airline is at least rumored to have a location to store a deceased body should it happen mid-flight. Others generally look for an empty seat/empty row in F/J and cover the body up.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
I know the article said her emergency happened during final approach to PHX, but it got me thinking that that's a tough flight to encounter a medical emergency on, in general. Really nowhere to divert to until you're basically at your destination, in either direction.
Right, nowhere to be diverted by others airports. There's no way to landed in the Pacific Oceans.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
There are some places over land it would be scary to divert to as well.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Hyatt Globalist
I was actually on this flight. She was 4 rows behind me in the first row between first and coach. Kind of weird...never had that happen on a flight before.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rumandcoke
I was actually on this flight. She was 4 rows behind me in the first row between first and coach. Kind of weird...never had that happen on a flight before.
You were on the flight? You didn't know what happened to her? I am not quite sure why she was passed away. Medical Examiner will find out why she dies. They will have investigating. They will do autopsy with her body.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Gamecock
There are some places over land it would be scary to divert to as well.
Why would you want to divert anyway?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by N830MH
You were on the flight? You didn't know what happened to her? I am not quite sure why she was passed away. Medical Examiner will find out why she dies. They will have investigating. They will do autopsy with her body.

About 45, maybe 60 minutes prior the flight attendant was called over and the woman wasn't waking up. They made an announcement for any medical personal on board. When we landed in PHX, there was a fire department crew that met us at the gate. We were asked to stay seated. After a few minutes they let us off...I didn't know she had actually died until later in the morning, but I suspected it when I saw her.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:41 pm

What is really surprising is with the number of pax every day, that this doesn't happen more often.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:33 pm

This may be a question for BoeingBoy or Galley Wench, but I thought the policy is to never declare anyone deceased on board the aircraft, but rather on the jetway or on the tarmac at the bottom of the air stair. The reasoning is that the plane would have to be impounded by the FAA and or local law enforcement authorities.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fpc552
What is really surprising is with the number of pax every day, that this doesn't happen more often.
Yeah, it always has happens everyday. Which is why if someone who died during mid-flight, but there's no way to landed in the Pacific Ocean. They have to be completed the flight.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Over the years, I've been on several flights with medical emergencies. However, none have diverted. I was on a flight from HNL to LAX with a medical emergency halfway through the flight. They gave us priority landing in LAX and we got in 45 minutes earlier than expected.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:57 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I rendered aid on a transpacific flight from ICN-LAX. A lady was having chest pain and had taken too much nitroglycerin and bottomed out her blood pressure and passed out. Unfortunately, it took a while for me to figure out what was going on because she only spoke Chinese... I was given the option of diverting the plane to either Anchorage (4 hours) or Tokyo (3.5 hours).. fortunately after am IV and a little fluid she perked up and was adamant about continuing on to her final destination.. I told them to have an ambulance met her at the gate; checking on her periodically but she refused to go to the hospital.. I later learned she got chest pain from time to time but had never seen the doctor... getting Nitroglycerin from the pharmacy in China.. todays was worse so she had taken 3 of them... oh well.. she's an adult and in charge of her own decisions but I'm glad she didn't die on my watch...

FDw
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
This is always a risk for long flights across the oceans. It does happen on occaision, and airlines have instructions on how to deal with it. At least one airline is at least rumored to have a location to store a deceased body should it happen mid-flight. Others generally look for an empty seat/empty row in F/J and cover the body up.
Not a rumor : SQ did have a "cabinet" for storing corpses on their ultra long haul A345, although they specify it's only if no seat is available. You can read about here Airline's new fleet includes a cupboard for corpses

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.