Curious about Schedule Change PHL-PHX-OGG

Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Curious about Schedule Change PHL-PHX-OGG

My flight was changed 90 days out - first leg now leaves PHL 10 minutes later and arrives at PHL 10 minutes sooner (so the flight was shortened by 20 minutes). Same equipment (A321). PHX-OGG leg is also shortened but the return legs were both lengthened. I recall the same thing happening last year, was wondering if they use some type of moving average of arrival times or factor in the jet stream since the length of flight is shorter flying west and longer flying east.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: None
It's seasonal winds aloft. While generally out of the west, they're stronger in the winter than summer. You mention the jet stream, which is basically correct - it moves further south in the winter and further north in the summer.

Jim
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Yes, they track the actual taxi-out time, taxi-in time and time aloft for every departure throughout the day everyday. This is done by departure time (i.e. due to ground congestion, departures at 8:00am may have much longer taxi-out times than those at 9:00pm).

This data is then used to build seasonal schedules in every market based on the averages for the previous years.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: None
Except taxi out and in tend to remain relatively steady year around, with the one exception being deicing in the winter for northern hubs, but even then there aren't so many snow days to make that much difference. Plus taxi out/in isn't affected by direction of flight.

The big factor is winds aloft which changes the schedule due to longer/shorter flight times twice a year - spring and fall.

Jim
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Thanks for the responses - I found it interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.