PHL-DUB - aircraft changes/issues?

Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

PHL-DUB - aircraft changes/issues?

As most will know US fly PHL and CLT to DUB. Flights to PHL were changed from 762 to 332 from start of summer season. Mid June the 332 was replaced by the 762 and the service was due to revert to 332 lather this week however the 762 remains a little longer until the next scheduled 332 return. Since May there has more less being no availability at all on either route until the 332 is "planned" to be resume flights lather this month.

I have a few questions:
1 - Is their issues with 332 fleet
2 - Was changing to 332 to much for the service and a 762 was replaced for to ensure better capacity management.
3 - What is happening to passengers who may be affected by the last minute capacity changes.

As the 332 operated in the quieter months of the summer I find it hard to believe that there is issues filling it for the peak months ex DUB.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:25 am

Answer to your questions:

1) Actually one of our A332 is out of service, however read below:
2) Yes, I beleive that we were a little to optomistic about the A332 to Ireland from Philly. The loads are alright, the aircraft has something like 12 passengers in Business and 176 in Economy per flight, the 762 seats 18 in Business and 186 in Economy, so the 762 would be full but the A330 would have around 50 seats open in Economy.
3) Probably nothing, becuase no passengers have had to been bumped of the flight

Honestly I am 99% sure that CLT-DUB does a lot better than PHL-DUB; although CLT-DUB is on a smaller 757 with 182-seats (compared to a 204-seat aircraft from Philly) it is full every single day, I work CLT-DUB often and the only seats available on the aircraft are the jumpseats and crew-rest seats in most cases- and a full plane is better than 75% full aircraft, isn't it?

I think that the A332 should of been on Charlotte-Dublin rather than on Philadelphia-Dublin.

Last edited by Piedmont767; Jul 8, 2014 at 2:18 pm Reason: Found out that N282AY is out of service
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Answer to your questions:

1) No, our A332 fleet is operating perfectly with a glitch
2) Yes, I beleive that we were a little to optomistic about the A332 to Ireland from Philly. The loads are alright, the aircraft has something like 12 passengers in Business and 176 in Economy per flight, the 762 seats 18 in Business and 186 in Economy, so the 762 would be full but the A330 would have around 50 seats open in Economy.
3) Probably nothing, becuase no passengers have had to been bumped of the flight

Honestly I am 99% sure that CLT-DUB does a lot better than PHL-DUB; although CLT-DUB is on a smaller 757 with 182-seats (compared to a 204-seat aircraft from Philly) it is full every single day, I work CLT-DUB often and the only seats available on the aircraft are the jumpseats and crew-rest seats in most cases- and a full plane is better than 75% full aircraft, isn't it?

I think that the A332 should of been on Charlotte-Dublin rather than on Philadelphia-Dublin.
Its interesting that the 332 may not of worked out, considering the 767 operates year round. Loads for July 13 were 90% with the 762.

The only thing which I don't understand is the such close in changes in capacity, they should be able to make a decision now weather to keep the 762 on the route.

The only reason I ask is because I am flying with them on 31 August (not by choice) and the route is scheduled for a 332 and its the day after an American game in Dublin and there is no capacity out of Dublin left and a little concerned they might just drop to a 762 and re routing isn't an option at all.

I o agree with your comments about CLT but as you say its a 752 service.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
One thing I've noticed is that the price for PHL-DUB is up about 50% this summer over last summer, without much of a fluctuation thus far. That could explain why it isn't selling as well.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:02 pm

Piedmont767 - not sure where you got your information from but it's not correct.

We have one 330 that has been out of service since mid June (N282AY). It was expected to be back in service next week but repairs are not complete.

Every day this flight is oversold by 30-50 passengers all needing to be re-routed through other cities.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by onic
Piedmont767 - not sure where you got your information from but it's not correct.

We have one 330 that has been out of service since mid June (N282AY). It was expected to be back in service next week but repairs are not complete.

Every day this flight is oversold by 30-50 passengers all needing to be re-routed through other cities.
N282AY has been out of service since June? I could of sworn I worked on 282 a couple of nights ago!! Gosh I really need to start paying attention to these sort of things more. Geesh- thanks for pointing that out!

As for passengers being re-booked, how come the seat map shows seats open, shouldn't it been fully booked?

Anyway I don't think PHL-DUB has been operated by 762 because of maintenance on N282AY, seeing how PHL-DUB was down-guaged at the beginning of June, not in mid-June, unless I am mistaken.

Quick question, do you work for US Airways? I am assuming so.

EDIT- I take back that I said I worked on 282, it was N283AY, which seems to rotate on CLT-GRU-CLT-SJU-CLT over and over again, nearly every single CLT-GRU flight seems to be on 283.

Last edited by Piedmont767; Jul 8, 2014 at 2:22 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Piedmont767
N282AY has been out of service since June? I could of sworn I worked on 282 a couple of nights ago!! Gosh I really need to start paying attention to these sort of things more. Geesh- thanks for pointing that out!

As for passengers being re-booked, how come the seat map shows seats open, shouldn't it been fully booked?

Anyway I don't think PHL-DUB has been operated by 762 because of maintenance on N282AY, seeing how PHL-DUB was down-guaged at the beginning of June, not in mid-June, unless I am mistaken.

EDIT- I take back that I said I worked on 282, it was N283AY, which seems to rotate on CLT-GRU-CLT-SJU-CLT over and over again, nearly every single CLT-GRU flight seems to be on N283AY.
You can't buy a non-stop ticket PHL-DUB on the usairways.com website through the end of July. A quick check of the employee website will show how much it's oversold by each day (I can't post internal numbers on a public website).

You can see the tracking info (or lack of) for tail 282 on flightaware.com http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N282AY

This aircraft was involved in a fume event on board a TLV-PHL flight back on June 5th - more information here http://avherald.com/h?article=47576ca2&opt=0
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by onic
You can't buy a non-stop ticket PHL-DUB on the usairways.com website through the end of July. A quick check of the employee website will show how much it's oversold by each day (I can't post internal numbers on a public website).

You can see the tracking info (or lack of) for tail 282 on flightaware.com http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N282AY

This aircraft was involved in a fume event on board a TLV-PHL flight back on June 5th - more information here http://avherald.com/h?article=47576ca2&opt=0
Yes you are right, the flight is over-sold- normally I only check flights from Charlotte and not Philadelphia. However if you check the seat-map on PHL-DUB-PHL for tonight and tomorrow (7/8/14 and 7/9/14) on usairways.com it is showing empty seats- regular, non-refunable economy seats for sale.

However, I still think that CLT-DUB should be operated by an A332, with PHL-DUB on a 762.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:52 pm

Yes you are right, the flight is over-sold- normally I only check flights from Charlotte and not Philadelphia. However if you check the seat-map on PHL-DUB-PHL for tonight and tomorrow (7/8/14 and 7/9/14) on usairways.com it is showing empty seats- regular, non-refunable economy seats for sale.

However, I still think that CLT-DUB should be operated by an A332, with PHL-DUB on a 762.
Based on previous posts, your disdain for PHL is obvious.
A Full 757 with 30% CLT-DUB O&D (typically less) is significantly less profitable than even a 70% 332 PHL-DUB O&D (typically more). IMO, moving the 332 to CLT-DUB would be economically unsound.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by perseus11
Based on previous posts, your disdain for PHL is obvious.
Normally it's only those of us who fly out of here who feel that way.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Good to see it's not the routes problem but operational issue.

Had a look at dates and the 762 started operating on June 14 departure ex PHL.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:16 am

Looking at a seat map is a very poor method of determining loads. You might have 20 paxs without assigned seats but booked on the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.