Wiki Posts
Search

Maximum Baggage Transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Maximum Baggage Transfers

I have 4 flights one day this week this week - 3 on US on 1 on AC. In the past I've been told the maximum number of flights for a checked bag is 3, and have had to pick up my bag mid-journey and re-check. Has anyone had any recent experiences checking a bag through on more than 3 flights?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
I have 4 flights one day this week this week - 3 on US on 1 on AC. In the past I've been told the maximum number of flights for a checked bag is 3, and have had to pick up my bag mid-journey and re-check. Has anyone had any recent experiences checking a bag through on more than 3 flights?
I don't know what the rule is, but I've had as many as five flights on the same itinerary with my bags making it all the way through.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: None
Unless they've changed the bag tags with the switch of alliance, I think there are only 3 spaces for flight # and destination of each flight #. In theory, direct flights would add a segment each - one flight # and destination for that flight # but 2 segments.

Jim
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Unless they've changed the bag tags with the switch of alliance, I think there are only 3 spaces for flight # and destination of each flight #. In theory, direct flights would add a segment each - one flight # and destination for that flight # but 2 segments.

Jim
You are correct about the space on each bag tag, but two different bag tags can be used for each bag -- allowing up to five connections.

Here are the bag tags for my gf's and my three bags on a recent trip. Note that there are six tags for three bags, and half of them say "TRF" (transfer)...

And here is how the tags are applied to each bag...

Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just give yourself extra time at check-in as most newer agents don't know how to issue separate tags and, at some stations, may have to handwrite the second (or both) tags. It may take a supervisor to get this done.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Just give yourself extra time at check-in as most newer agents don't know how to issue separate tags and, at some stations, may have to handwrite the second (or both) tags. It may take a supervisor to get this done.
That is excellent advice. In the photo I posted earlier, that is indeed a Rangoon-based TG supervisor -- who had to step in to make it all happen. Here is a photo taken just when the supervisor stepped in. The TA is indeed a bit frazzled!

That said, if TG can make it happen in Rangoon, Burma, it should be doable just about anywhere!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll report back with any odd experiences.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: None
Likewise thanks from me. I didn't know that they could chain tags together on a single bag. Now as long as there's not a TRF airport...oh there is - Sandfjord, Norway.

I can see a potential problem with the 2nd bag tag being hand written - it could be mistaken for an old tag by the baggage handlers.

Jim
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:19 am
Original Poster

As a follow up, all four flights fit on one tag - no issues whatsoever. Except that on my return flight (3 legs) they sent one of my bags back to its origin instead of my destination...different issue though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.