Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood / SPG points to AA miles 20% bonus [July 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG PLATINUM, HILTON DIAMOND
Starwood / SPG points to AA miles 20% bonus [July 2014]

Well, this is a new promo that I saw this morning that has not been discussed. Apparently this 20% is on top of the 5000 bonus miles. So 20000 SPG points becomes not 29000, but 30000. 1.2*25k. The T&C states that names have to be the same on both accounts, is that something that is really monitored?

Convert your Starpoints into AAdvantage miles - Earn 20% bonus miles

Convert your Starpoints into AAdvantage miles
The American Airlines AAdvantage® and Starwood Preferred Guest® programs are excited to offer you this exclusive opportunity to earn more miles toward your next trip.

From July 1 through July 31, 2014, simply convert your Starpoints® to American Airlines AAdvantage miles and earn a 20% bonus. As always, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, SPG® will automatically add another 5,000 miles. With the additional 20% mileage bonus offered by the AAdvantage program, you will receive a total of 30,000 miles from the transaction.

20,000 Starpoints = 20,000 AAdvantage miles
Standard SPG bonus = 5,000 AAdvantage miles
AAdvantage 20% mileage bonus = 5,000 AAdvantage miles
Total = 30,000 AAdvantage miles

Converting your Starpoints into AAdvantage miles will bring you closer to reaching your dream destination.

Convert Now
Terms and Conditions

AAdvantage Bonus Mile Offer Terms and Conditions
To qualify for this AAdvantage bonus mile offer, member must initiate the AAdvantage mileage conversions with the Starwood Preferred Guest® program between 12:00 a.m. CT July 1, 2014, and 11:59 p.m. CT July 31, 2014, (the “Promotion Period”), and be in good standing in the AAdvantage program. Members can convert multiple times during the Promotion Period.

To earn the 20% conversion bonus, member must convert points from the Starwood Preferred Guest program. This offer is non-transferable and non-reversible.

Bonus miles will be posted by American Airlines to the qualifying AAdvantage member's account within seven business days after the initial conversion activity has been posted by Starwood Preferred Guest. Bonus miles earned in this promotion do not count toward elite status qualification.

American Airlines, AAdvantage, the Flight Symbol logo and MileSAAver are marks of American Airlines, Inc.

Starwood Guest Preferred Transfer to Miles Terms and Conditions
Starwood Preferred Guests can transfer up to 79,999 of their Starpoints per transaction per program within a 24-hour period to the American Airlines AAdvantage program. Plus, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, Starwood will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints! This means that up to 94,999 Starpoints can be transferred into your AAdvantage account.

There is no minimum Starpoint transfer requirement for Platinum Preferred Guest members. Gold Preferred Guest members have a minimum transfer requirement of 1,500 Starpoints, and Preferred Guest members have a minimum transfer requirement of 2,500 Starpoints.

Transfer maximums are based on a combination of member Starpoints and the Starwood Preferred Guest airline transfer transaction bonus. Only one airline transfer transaction per member per 24-hour period is allowed; multiple transfer transactions within the same 24-hour period will reject. Both the Starwood Preferred Guest and AAdvantage account must have identical member names in order to complete this request; different names will cause the transfer to reject. Airline transfers are one-way, non-reversible and non-refundable.

Starwood Preferred Guest and Starpoints are marks of Starwood Hotels & Resort Worldwide, Inc.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Who sent this promo: Starwood or AA? Is it possible to use it if you haven't received a targeted email?

EDIT: The offer is available on aa.com:
http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

Last edited by grrizzli; Jul 1, 2014 at 11:57 am Reason: Answering myself
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I just transferred 20K, I will report back with details (unless other people do first).

A few things of interest, it looks like you might not have to click through any of the links, because it ends up just taking you to the regular SPG transfer site. Also, the T&C states that the bonus 20% will be added "by AA" 7 days after the transfer. So I'm guessing there will be two separate postings on the AA account. Also, there was nothing on the email confirmation stating the 20% extra bonus, so a small leap of faith is required.

I wonder who is paying for the extra miles, AA or SPG?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Here are the T&Cs for those of you who don't want to click through:

Terms and Conditions

AAdvantage Bonus Mile Offer Terms and Conditions
To qualify for this AAdvantage bonus mile offer, member must initiate the AAdvantage mileage conversions with the Starwood Preferred Guest® program between 12:00 a.m. CT July 1, 2014, and 11:59 p.m. CT July 31, 2014, (the “Promotion Period”), and be in good standing in the AAdvantage program. Members can convert multiple times during the Promotion Period.

To earn the 20% conversion bonus, member must convert points from the Starwood Preferred Guest program. This offer is non-transferable and non-reversible.

Bonus miles will be posted by American Airlines to the qualifying AAdvantage member's account within seven business days after the initial conversion activity has been posted by Starwood Preferred Guest. Bonus miles earned in this promotion do not count toward elite status qualification.

American Airlines, AAdvantage, the Flight Symbol logo and MileSAAver are marks of American Airlines, Inc.

Starwood Guest Preferred Transfer to Miles Terms and Conditions
Starwood Preferred Guests can transfer up to 79,999 of their Starpoints per transaction per program within a 24-hour period to the American Airlines AAdvantage program. Plus, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, Starwood will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints! This means that up to 94,999 Starpoints can be transferred into your AAdvantage account.

There is no minimum Starpoint transfer requirement for Platinum Preferred Guest members. Gold Preferred Guest members have a minimum transfer requirement of 1,500 Starpoints, and Preferred Guest members have a minimum transfer requirement of 2,500 Starpoints.

Transfer maximums are based on a combination of member Starpoints and the Starwood Preferred Guest airline transfer transaction bonus. Only one airline transfer transaction per member per 24-hour period is allowed; multiple transfer transactions within the same 24-hour period will reject. Both the Starwood Preferred Guest and AAdvantage account must have identical member names in order to complete this request; different names will cause the transfer to reject. Airline transfers are one-way, non-reversible and non-refundable.

Starwood Preferred Guest and Starpoints are marks of Starwood Hotels & Resort Worldwide, Inc.
I'm intrigued though have no immediate need for AA miles so not worth the transfer since I'm SPG poor right now and need to save what I have for an AS transfer
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Wondering if 2x 20k (as separate transactions on separate days within the promo window) turns into 60k. T&Cs for this particular promo aren't too clear to me.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Very interesting. The way it's written, doesn't look like there's any limit.

As someone with 212k AA, 140k US, and 276k SPG, I wasn't plan on converting any miles right now but this might put me over the edge on redeeming a nights and flights award.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Perhaps AAdvantage are after folks who, like me, have stopped accumulating miles beyond what is a side-effect of maintaining status. I cut up my Citi Executive card shortly after receiving it, unsubscribed from all AAdvantage emails, and stopped transferring SPG points following the recent program changes figuring that event was just the first in a string of bad news to come.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
This also means there is an avenue to convert Amex Membership Rewards points to AA miles at a rate of 2:1.5, vs the normal rate of 2:1.25. 2 MR points -> 1 SPG point -> 1.5 AA miles.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sinanju
Perhaps AAdvantage are after folks who, like me, have stopped accumulating miles beyond what is a side-effect of maintaining status. I cut up my Citi Executive card shortly after receiving it, unsubscribed from all AAdvantage emails, and stopped transferring SPG points following the recent program changes figuring that event was just the first in a string of bad news to come.
Hate to say that the first thing to cross my mind, too, was that this promo is a prelude to another AA deval...
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Hate to say that the first thing to cross my mind, too, was that this promo is a prelude to another AA deval...
It's still nothing compared with approving everyone for their 6th Executive card.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
This also means there is an avenue to convert Amex Membership Rewards points to AA miles at a rate of 2:1.5, vs the normal rate of 2:1.25. 2 MR points -> 1 SPG point -> 1.5 AA miles.
I'm pretty sure it's 3 MR points: 1 SPG point, so it would be 3:1.5 (2:1) instead of the usual 3:1.25.

Given that MR transfers 1:1 to programs like BA, this seems like a horrendous waste.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
My thought as well, which is why I made the transfer and then put a hold on a one-way F award on QF SYD-LHR.

They way things are being devalued with all FF programs, burning is the name of the game.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
My thought as well, which is why I made the transfer and then put a hold on a one-way F award on QF SYD-LHR.

They way things are being devalued with all FF programs, burning is the name of the game.
Yup. F awards to the Bordeaux area this September for me and Mrs. Sinanju. F to Malta for us in May.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by djibouti
I'm pretty sure it's 3 MR points: 1 SPG point, so it would be 3:1.5 (2:1) instead of the usual 3:1.25.

Given that MR transfers 1:1 to programs like BA, this seems like a horrendous waste.
I had the same thought, but still 50% deval so
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
A lot of the promo "specifics" are being discussed in the SPG forum thread: PROMO: July only, move 20K SPG points to AA or US for 30K AA

Last edited by hhoope01; Jul 2, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.