Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Three violinists denied boarding a US flight - wouldn't check violins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three violinists denied boarding a US flight - wouldn't check violins

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 12:59 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by ksu
Cellists pay for an extra seat for their instrument. Search for threads about FF miles for Mr. Cello
Agreed, and I don't have a problem with it. If its worth that much, buy a seat for it. Piccolo, Violin, Cello, French Horn, Tuba, Piano... whatever (Yes, I know a Piano won't fit, I'm exaggerating on purpose).

Every square inch on a plane is already taken. You can't have a 'special instrument section' in a plane. Also, as might be the case here too, if the case does not fit in the overhead bins of the RJs? So what do you do? If its worth that much, its worth a seat. If its not worth that much, buy a special case made for air travel and check it. If its really not worth that much, stuff it in your luggage. But don't add another time consuming, additional processing, different class of carry on luggage. Its already confusing enough as it is.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by diver858
Why not just buy an extra seat for a $1 million instrument?
First, no one said these particular instruments were $1 million Strads.

Second, they were on the second leg of their trip. They didn't have a problem on the first leg (bigger aircraft, most likely). Are you suggesting they should have purchased two separate tickets (with the risks involved) so they could pay for the necessary seats on the RJ but not on the mainline flight?
Old May 27, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
One time when I was flying WN a couple musicians were travelling and all the OH space was gone, so the flight attendant got on the PA and explained to the passengers that musicians had boarded late and really needed to have their instruments on board and if anyone was willing to gate check their bag, they would happily "buy" them drinks. Plenty of passengers volunteered, and from what I could see, the FA comped the drinks. So, there is a way to handle this even if the OH space is full.

It doesn't seem as though the US staff were even attempting to get the violins on-board, though, seeing as they gave the violinists a slip stating that violins were not permitted as carry on luggage.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by chollie

Second, they were on the second leg of their trip. They didn't have a problem on the first leg (bigger aircraft, most likely). Are you suggesting they should have purchased two separate tickets (with the risks involved) so they could pay for the necessary seats on the RJ but not on the mainline flight?
Absolutely. There is no way that a standard violin in its case is going to fit in the overhead compartment on a CRJ-700. That's the type of aircraft assigned to fly US 4799, the flight in question. If they don't want to pay for an extra seat, they have no alternative but to check the instrument or to fly on a mainline aircraft with room for the violin to a bigger airport and then drive to their destination. Plus there are ways of padding a violin and its case to avoid damage; to be safe they might inquire about covering it on a rider to their homeowners insurance.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
One time when I was flying WN a couple musicians were travelling and all the OH space was gone, so the flight attendant got on the PA and explained to the passengers that musicians had boarded late and really needed to have their instruments on board and if anyone was willing to gate check their bag, they would happily "buy" them drinks. Plenty of passengers volunteered, and from what I could see, the FA comped the drinks. So, there is a way to handle this even if the OH space is full.

It doesn't seem as though the US staff were even attempting to get the violins on-board, though, seeing as they gave the violinists a slip stating that violins were not permitted as carry on luggage.
Agreed. Best solution.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by chollie

If the violins exceed 190cm total dimensions or cannot be safely stowed on the RJ and/or the customer believes that the instrument is too fragile to be handled as checked baggage

then they should have purchased seats for that RJ flight as per US policy ; no need to book themselves on separate tickets, just purchase seats on the RJ flight for the insruments

From http://reservations.usairways.com/en...cialitems.html

Originally Posted by us
US Airways allows customers to carry their musical instrument in the cabin with them if the instrument exceeds the size restrictions for carry-on baggage and/or the customer believes that the instrument is too fragile to be handled as checked baggage. To do this:

The customer must purchase an extra seat for the instrument. Cost of the seat is the applicable adult fare for the portions of the flight that the extra seat is requested plus sales tax.

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 27, 2014 at 2:09 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ksu
Cellists pay for an extra seat for their instrument. Search for threads about FF miles for Mr. Cello
I think cellists often (usually?) get airline cases for their instruments instead of buying a separate seat for them.

http://www.davidgage.com/store/index.php?cPath=23
Old May 27, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by aztimm
Do we know where the violinists were in the boarding order?

I'm struggling to see how fitting a violin in the overhead is different from any other bag. If you're boarding toward the end and the bins are full, what can be done? Should a passenger who already boarded be forced to gate check their bag?
Originally Posted by aztimm
How isn't it relevant? If they are last to board, and all space taken, then where would they put their instruments?

If they were first on the plane, perhaps they'd have pick of spots for them. Same as anyone else intending to put a bag in the overhead.

I did see the section on a US employee giving them a note. Yes, that was wrong. But space on the plane is space on the plane--first come, first served. I repeat my earlier question--should US ask someone else to gate check a bag to make space for a late-coming violin?
Expensive items are not permitted in the hold because the airline won't reimburse if damaged or stolen. Why is this so hard to understand?

If the items fit the sizer, were too expensive to go in the hold, and there was no room in the overhead, under the seat or an empty seat, then it is an IDB.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Well the first sentence in both of OPs links clearly says this is only two violinists, not three.

Snark aside, could the supposed "blue slip" be the blue valet tag? Usually used for F carry-on bags to valet, one of the other bullets on the back is musical instruments...I've gotten a blue tag every time I've traveled with my bass guitar on RJs.

If this turns out to be a overhead bins full/no more room, then a strong case for PreferredAccess for non-elite musicians. If you have something that needs to be in the cabin instead of the hold, pay for early boarding.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by tireman77
So the value of the carry-on should be considered? I can see the discussion on board now: "My carry-on is worth more than your's so I get preference!" Really???!?

If its worth that much and you are prone to travel, shouldn't you get a case that protects it accordingly and associated special insurance?
You travel with no expensive carry ons like a laptop? What's your plan when you end up in the bulkhead?

Originally Posted by sbbutler93
Well the first sentence in both of OPs links clearly says this is only two violinists, not three.

Snark aside, could the supposed "blue slip" be the blue valet tag? Usually used for F carry-on bags to valet, one of the other bullets on the back is musical instruments...I've gotten a blue tag every time I've traveled with my bass guitar on RJs.

If this turns out to be a overhead bins full/no more room, then a strong case for PreferredAccess for non-elite musicians. If you have something that needs to be in the cabin instead of the hold, pay for early boarding.
Useless when the in bound flight is late and one is connecting.

I once had an RJ flight from DEN to COS on United Express. My connecting flight arrived late. My originally assigned seat was taken and I had the bulkhead. There was no overhead space. I had a laptop. Flying on that plane wasn't an option. Fortunately, the pax in row 2, with no carry on under his seat, could see that the flight wasn't going to leave on time while United tried to solve this problem, so he swapped.

Then there is the problem when one is upgraded to row 1 of the plane, a real problem on a CR7.

Last edited by mre5765; May 27, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
Expensive items are not permitted in the hold because the airline won't reimburse if damaged or stolen. Why is this so hard to understand?

If the items fit the sizer, were too expensive to go in the hold, and there was no room in the overhead, under the seat or an empty seat, then it is an IDB.
Airlines will reimburse to a maximum value, not the actual value. They routinely accept items that are worth more than the maximum value. It's the traveller's responsibility to insure for the actual value.

I am sure professional musicians with very expensive instruments have dedicated travel cases, and special insurance. Since there are a limited number of instruments that fit in the plane's overhead compartments, this issue must come up frequently.

It would be interesting if any professional musicians in this forum could chime in on the subject.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:27 pm

Expensive items are permitted in the hold, just that the airline's liability is limited to a certain amount. Musical instruments are permitted in the hold ( see US's policy ) though if not packed appropriately, the airline accepts no liability for damage
Old May 27, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN CP; Kimpton Inner Circle
Not an IDB. They had the opportunity to gate check the luggage, but declined. Not the airline's problem. If the airline's policy is anything like VX, they had the alternative to buy a separate seat for the instrument.

I'm not sure about American's policy, but VX's instrument policy is on page 28 of its CoC (and liability exclusion on pages 35/36).
Old May 27, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tireman77
Airlines will reimburse to a maximum value, not the actual value. They routinely accept items that are worth more than the maximum value. It's the traveller's responsibility to insure for the actual value.

I am sure professional musicians with very expensive instruments have dedicated travel cases, and special insurance. Since there are a limited number of instruments that fit in the plane's overhead compartments, this issue must come up frequently.

It would be interesting if any professional musicians in this forum could chime in on the subject.
"Total liability for provable direct or consequential damages resulting from the loss, delay, or damage to baggage in US Airways’ custody is limited as follows:
1 . 2 .
For travel wholly between U .S . points, to $3400 per customer .
For international travel (including the domestic portions of international flights) to which the Montreal Convention applies, US Airways’ liability for loss, delays, or damage to baggage is limited to 1,131 Spe- cial Drawing Rights (approximately $1,807) per passenger for checked and unchecked baggage . (See Section 11 .4 . for details .)
01/16/14
Contract of Carriage
Unless protection is purchased (excess valuation), and unless it is international travel to which the Montreal Convention applies, US Airways assumes no liability for valuable/commercial items including but not limited to: money, negotiable papers, securities, irreplaceable business documents, books, manuscripts, publications, photographic or electronic equipment, musical instruments, jewelry, silverware, precious metals, furs, antiques, artifacts, paintings and other works of art, lifesaving medication, and samples ."

Since US assumes no liability for expensive stuff, and and since US sell no insurance for domestic flights, it follows that the pax is not supposed to check expensive stuff. I will grant you that unethical airline employees routinely check expensive items, as well as lithium batteries and other dangerous cargo, but that doesn't mean that is how it is supposed to happen.

IDB.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:46 pm

Since US assumes no liability for expensive stuff, and and since US sell no insurance for domestic flights, it follows that the pax is not supposed to check expensive stuff. I will grant you that unethical airline employees routinely check expensive items, as well as lithium batteries and other dangerous cargo, but that doesn't mean that is how it is supposed to happen.
That the airline is limited in its liability does not mean that there is an entitlement to carry on any expensive item. They could have purchased an additional seal for the item if the item cannot be safely stowed on that type of aeroplane or ensured to book on a flight which does have appropriate space

There is also no IDB compensation due since they were not denied boarding to the flight being oversold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.